Antivirus software for gamers

Discussion in 'Games: Member articles & research.' started by Farcane, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Farcane

Farcane Getting Started

Hello fellow gamers,

I am after anyones opinion of the best antivirus for a gaming rig as i currently do not use any type on my pc, as i just play on it, and surf on a mac

Thanks

Farcane

2. 2_islands

2_islands Lead Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

3. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

4. Gage

Gage Getting Started

Windows Defender (comes with Win 10) is fine. Virus scanners aren't very useful these days as they are useless against zero day exploits and they are the ones that will get you. Just practice common sense by sticking to sites you know and only download from safe sources. If you insist on more protection I would get Malwarebytes (free version) and run a scan now and then.

CAMMO likes this.
  5. CAMMO

CAMMO The Soprano Voice of TOG Staff Member Moderator -= GOLD Patreon =-

+1

6. Moose

Moose Simulation Games Captain

I’ve the days of getting Norton or Mcaffee as an antivirus solution not really the best way to go these days.
    The Windows Defender antivirus that comes free with your computer is more than adequate to cover that side of things, with any antivirus just remember that the scope of removal is limited by what is being scammed for on the information available.

I’d ask you what you are concerned about specifically? I don’t have any stats on hand but am confident that there has been an increase in malware over the years which isn’t designed to be picked up by an antivirus necessarily.

Malwares a concern of mine.
    Every couple of weeks I run r_kill which identifies any abnormal running process and presents you an easy to read notepad file (keep in mind it may close all programs), followed by a windows defender scan, then an Malwarebytes scan with the scan for root kits option selected.
    The last 2 can do auto scans if you leave your computer on, Malwarebytes (malware scanner) has a paid version that allows this but the free version scans just fine also.
    Then adwcleaner.

Finally I run Hitmanpro which is another malware scanner.

Also helps to clear your web browser cache every now and again.

Hope that helps!

7. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

I think the reason why I have always used Eset NOD32 is that it actually flags ' a virus was attempting to get on your pc and has been quarantined'..........not your PC has been infected and needs the following steps to remove.

8. ralfymeister

ralfymeister Getting Started

YMMV. Check out some of these videos:

TL;DR: test the PC with or without the AV enabled using performance benchmark software like NovaBench, other AVs installed, and test against old samples of malware.

Project_Entry likes this.