Any tips on how to learn FPS controls with a gamepad?

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Giygas, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Giygas

Giygas Just Joined

So I want to play some FPS games on the Xbox(360) with my nephew, as I have to look after him every 2 weeks or so.
    I'm pretty much a PC only gamer and trying to play these games with a gamepad are producing some pretty comical and headache inducing results. :oops:

So have any of You made the jump from keyboard and mouse to gamepad?
    (other games are ok, it's just the FPS that I'm having trouble with.

Are there any games with really easy settings that I could practice with?

2. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

Practice in the game you'll be playing, would be my advice. I've tried, but I get frustrated pretty quick, so I stick to non-fps games on console.

I'm sure there would be some youtube videos that could help.

3. Blueink

Blueink Well-Known Member

I am the same much prefer the M+K.

If I am on console i.e Destiny I am on a low reticle movement setting and I try not to move the reticle vertically to much with the right stick, just small movements there and then use the left stick to line the shots up instead (so aiming using the body movements rather than the gun basically).

It is awkward and you feel like you are moving in tar compared to M+K but for me that has had the best result so far.

4. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

As Blueink said, I found 2 things that really helped me was setting vertical sensitivity to lower than horizontal, and moving my character more to line up shots instead of just using my right stick.

It's really just practice though, and it will never even come close to a keyboard and mouse, there's a reason console FPS has tons of autoaim.

5. RVK-KSoze

RVK-KSoze Getting Started

These same suggestions helped me a lot years ago, when I wanted to give a console exclusive fps a try. Keyboard and mouse still feels most natural, but at least I can play the games now on the console if I wanted to (competent but not great).

Trick for me is using both to left analogue (strafe movement to line up) and right analogue (fine tune or adjust up/down) at the same time instead of trying to just aim with the right analogue. Most console fps games use auto-aim...so just get close and it kind of locks on for you to a certain extent. Also, I started on third person shooters on consoles which seemed to help me make the adjustment (they usually have cover systems and less twitch based combat). Still a hell of a lot better at aiming with a keyboard and mouse though.

6. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Big PC FPS'er since the original DOOM. K&M by Quake. Could never get used to gamepad as I found it clunky in comparison despite countless hours of trial. Which is why for console, I purchased a CronusMAX.

CronusMAX PLUS CronusMAX PLUS - New Version Now On Sale

It's *close* to the feel of K&M on PC but not quite as the controls are inherently designed for controller. The limiting factor is if you have your console set up in your lounge with no PC nearby as it requires a PC to provide K&M. Initally, I used a lappy but then I just moved my XB1 next to my PC - I use a TV as a monitor for my PC so not that big a deal.

XB1 recently announced that it'll support K&M natively. Whether that means that future games will also support it is yet to be seen, though - won't help with the 360 (but the CMax supports 360).

It also allows you to use PC peripherals (like Wheels) in console games that aren't supported by the console.

7. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Crank up the sensitivity to max and ride through the pain till your hands and brain get it, then you will be the master of 360 no scopes.

Slight joke there but seriousness - learn to play with max sensitivity

8. Rob.

Rob. Retired Captain

I hope so, I'd really like to make the switch to console but I just can't get my head (and hands) around control pads and FPS movement no matter how much I try :(

9. Quarterican

Quarterican Getting Started

Mouse and keyboard all the way...Whenever I head back to console I always seem to do much better with inverted y-axis. Might be from my initial PS-1 days being the native controls, but who knows. I would always try to push the limits with the sensitivity settings, forcing myself to adjust faster. With all that said have you ever heard of this?
    XIM4.com

Used an older version a few years ago for PS3 with CoD when I was upset with the lack of PC support and it was very good. Essentially use a M&K regardless of whether it will be supported in the future as the console will view it as a controller with the adapter.

Rob. likes this.
  10. Wongdai

Wongdai Retired DC

Im so glad its just not me

11. Giygas

Giygas Just Joined

Thanks for all the tips guys.
    I also finally got a gamepad for my PC at home so I can get some more practice in with games that I'm familiar with.