Anyone else having problems downloading your purchases?

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by rubicon, Jun 19, 2010.

1. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

I grabbed Burnout Paradise yesterday and I'll be buggered if I can get the damn thing to download. I've tried all the usual suspects, deleting blob files, changing download regions, removing wingui and steam.dll, even deleting what little local content I have.

All to no avail.

I can get it to start downloading, it goes up to about 300 KB/s and then falls back to nothing again and says "suspended". This process occurs over the space of about 10 seconds.

Anyone have the same problem and/or any other ideas how to fix it? Its almost enough to drive a person to BT...

PS: Here's a screenie...

[​IMG]

Edit:

Looks like I've solved my problem. It appears it was a rogue steamwatch problem. It didn't or doesn't uninstall nicely and needed/needs to be cleaned out manually.

Burnout now happily downloading at 1Mb/s :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Yea Medievil 2 Kingdoms was doing that to me even bought and downloaded 2 other games but after a bit it finally worked not sure what was going on?

3. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Bought 2 games and neither even start downloading, just get the servers are busy, every day, any hour of the day. Been trying about 4 days.

Can't turn off steamwatch as it will use up my bandwidth.

4. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Of course, not every game is on every server, so it's quite possible the game you may be trying to download isn't there and thus you'll have no choice but to turn off steamwatch and source from elsewhere. If you're not in a hurry though, probably better to wait until after the sales and things calm down before going that route if bandwidth is an issue.

Was a thread or post around somewhere here I think that provided a link to a database you could search using a steam game id to see which servers it was on. Not 100% reliable but may be worth a look.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Problem is that is really isn't accurate anymore Thermal, just cause a game isn't listed doesn't mean it isn't in the cache.

Here the link anyway WaLLy3K's SteamID Lookup

On the bright side if a game shows up as being available it isn't lying. It only gives false negative readings not false positives.

6. Thermal Ions

Hence:
    "If you're not in a hurry though, probably better to wait until after the sales and things calm down..."
    and
    "Not 100% reliable but may be worth a look"

Thanks for posting the link, didn't think I'd have time to go looking myself earlier.

7. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

Not so much a problem, but i bought GTA IV.. Only to find its a 15 gig download. That'll take a few days and a fair chunk out of the quota.

I'm hoping to find someone that has the game via steam already that might be kind enough to burn the game files to a few DVD's and post em :D

8. RMBear

RMBear Well-Known Member

Only bought Grid 2 - just can't seem to bring myself to buy any more... yet! :)

9. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Which Internet service provider are you with r8esponse? Internode, iinet, Bigpond (Telstra), Adam, iPrimus, Netspace and a few more have quota free Steam servers that you can use. Easiest way to use them is to install Freys Steam Filter.

Here is a direct download link to Freys Steam Filter: http://members.iinet.net.au/~chapman.j/FreysSteamFilter.zip

10. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I'm using frey's steam fileter and steamwatch.

I bought 3 games in the sale and will probably not be able to play them any time in the next 3 months. If I turn off both filters it does indeed start downloading, but on a 12 Gb Telstra plan I can't download 20Gb+ of games and do the other stuff I normally do. With GameArena no longer allowing steam downloads in the last 3 months it really eats into the downloads just with game updates.

What has happened to the gamearena steam server, it must be getting pushed damn hard these days. I used to get all my TF2 updates from it and most game purchases, not nowadays it doesn't pop up while watching which servers are trying to do the work (using tcpview).

I've checked the IP addresses and they seem fine.

Anyone else have luck getting content from GA?

11. r8response

Same here Max, can download just fine with either Freys or Steamwatch disabled.

Try using one of them, and downloads stop dead.

12. kEv_

kEv_ Treasurer for Counter Strike

hey all,
    i too am having problems with steamwatch,
    i had to turn it off to get the cs:s update to download:evil:
    i'm also on the bigpond 12GB plan,
    i have been trying to find a solution, to no avail, as i have several other games i would like to download but cannot bear to cap myself

why do telstra always seem to want to make things hard for us:(

13. Flibbs

Flibbs Active Member

Bigpond changed the ip addresses of their Steam content servers earlier in the year. Depending on how old your version of steamwatch or Freys filter is you may not have the correct server ip addresses.

The current Bigpond servers are 203.39.198.167 and 203.39.198.168

Check your SteamWatchSettings.xml or FreysSteamFilter.ini to make sure the ip addresses are correct.

14. r8response

The IP addresses are correct.

The games will simply not download unless the filters are off

15. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

My IP addresses are right. I purchased Saints Row and it downloaded it just fine. It won't download GhostBusters, Lost Planet, nor Ghost Sniper so I am assuming they are not on BigPond steam server which sucks. The main one which puzzles me is Team Fortress 2 which used to update fine from BP but in the last 3 months it won't (and yes, with correct IP addresses).

Is it possible as a group to pressure BigPond/GameArena to get additional steam servers, more content? Steam content server being unmetered was a main reason I moved to BigPond from Optus, and I'm rueing the day, as it is next to useless. At least Optus had off peak allowance and didn't count uploads. Internode I believe allows unmetered from ALL steam servers in Oz. BigPond sure knows how to piss me off.

[edit: I have now purchased the square enix eidos pack containing nearly 30 games so I think I need to change ISPs to get to play many of them, or spend a fortune on upgrading to higher plans at exhorbitant costs.]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  16. kEv_

kEv_ Treasurer for Counter Strike

yep, i too have the correct ip's and it will not download anything while steamwatch is on,
    modern warfare2 was nearly 11 Gig just to try it free for 1 weekend:twisted::eek:,
    and i thought it was ordinary...
    DOD, TF2, Tomb Raider, i can get them from everywhere else except gamearena servers,
    i'm just too scared to even try atm cause it will cap me in about 2 seconds flat,
    i cant even go to another provider as i dont have a phone line,
    damn u telstra and your monopoly on cable in SA.
    and max we could put all the pressure in the world on them but the problem is they just dont care, i had a problem with connection and it took them ages to even send someone out to look at it and even then they didnt fix it,
    i fixed it myself, it was their dodgey plate on the wall...
    when it was first installed it had a problem with the wall bracket and he said "oh yeah we've been having a lot of problems with these lately",
    well how about you use better quality ones then instead of that cheap rubbish you charge the world for!!!

17. Flibbs

Flibbs Active Member

Unfortunately Steam decides what goes on content servers, not the server owner. Bigpond has no say in what is carried on their content servers.

I'm with Internode and while I have access to more unmetered content servers there are still games that not carried on Aust servers. Ghostbusters appears to be one that is not hosted here and has to come from os servers.

18. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

We need a list of what IS definitely ON a particular server, rather than looking up a game id, then checking what servers it is on, and then not knowing for sure still.

IS it really so hard to just have list of games on particular servers?

There was a steam web api recently released, I wonder if it would be capable of doing this?

19. Thermal Ions

Only if Valve release such a list themselves: Steam holiday sale wooo - Gamespace

No mention of it here: Steam Community :: Steam Web API Documentation, nor hinted at in the Steam Community :: Steam Web API Terms of Use.

20. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

There is an application online for looking up a steamid, and it tells you which server it is on. WaLLy3K's SteamID Lookup

I found the application called steamy.exe and the source code which essentially does the above. If you run it in the dos box, using say TF2's appid it comes back with:

C:\Users\User\Downloads\steamwatch\steamy>steamy 440 500
    104 = 203.39.198.167
    105 = 203.39.198.168
    156 = 202.173.128.178
    111 = 150.101.120.97
    ...lots of IP addresses removed for brevity

If I ran a batch job which simply cycled through numbers (even better from a true appid list of numbers) eg 1 to 20,000 and captured these outputs, then wrote a program or a fairly simple unix script (using grep etc) to go though the output looking for a known IP address of say GameArena 203.39.198.167 then I would have a useful list. It would also help to have a lookup table of all the actual game name and app ids.

Given what the script does I can see why it possibly isn't already out there as it is creating activity on the net which could easily be construed as malicious, flooding or of denial of service type activity.

I'll have a play and see what I can come up with, when I have time/motivation.

[edit: steamy output already highlights the gamearena ip addresses:

Code:
    // Highlight Bigpond
    if (id == 104 || id == 105)
    Console.ForegroundColor = ConsoleColor.White;

Easy enough to modify this to only output when it is GameArena

]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010