Anyone tried Runes of Magic?

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Monty, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

After reading a review in a pc magazine I thought I'd give it a go. The first mistake I made was trying to download in on a evening, I stopped it when it said it would take 25 hours to download the 3.6gb of files. Much better to download it on a morning, this took only 1 hour 20 mins but once the game is installed, you'll be waiting for some time while it does all the updates. Stick with it because I think you'll be surprised at the graphics, it runs at 1680x1050 on my pc which I thing is great for a free game. One thing I changed was some of the keys. Q,E were for left and right and A,D were for strafe. Once I'd changed them to W,A,S,D I was fine, you can also jump over stuff and swim. I'm only lvl 3 at the min but so far, it looks good.

Here it what my magazine has to say about the coming expansion.

Runes Of Magic gets huge expansion

[​IMG]Publisher Frogster has announced that its free to play Warcraft-style MMO Runes Of Magic will receive an expansion this September. Chapter II – The Elven Prophecy opens up several new areas in Taborea, a new story and new quests. More significantly, two new character classes will be made available, a pet system has been included that will allow you to train animals to aid you in battle and, along with the proposed new raid instances, the level cap will be raised from 50 to 55. Small components of the new content will be released in August, raising the level cap to 52.

Download the Runes Of Magic Client for free here

2. QueensKnight

QueensKnight Well-Known Member

Eastern Daylight / Standard Time (UTC - 4 / 5)
    I tried it a few months back and enjoyed it for a while with a friendly guild. The guild broke up over stupidity and I did not find a good guild in time to continue playing the game.

Later.

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

There's nothing like a good guild sh!tplos!on to ruin your play experience. :(

4. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

Anyone still playing this? I have really started to get into it and looking for a guild. Anyone help me out?

5. Grimson

Grimson Getting Started

I've been playing it for the past few weeks on the Artemis server. It is one of the top rated cash shop games on the market and its usually in the top 10 or so MMOs and in the top 30ish overall games ranked by playtime on XFire.

It seems like a solid game but I'm wondering how much the cash shop dominates the end game. You need to heavily enchant your gear at the end game to be able to run the harder instances through either the cash shop or massive amounts of farming per piece of gear. I would like to see something that shows the cash shop costs vs. the grinding time needed to get there. The concept of letting the players that need to have the best gear "NOW" paying more of the the costs to run the servers appeals to me as long as the time required to grind isn't too extreme. Also we can always grind for some of our upgrades and buy others. (Cash shop items are required for the upgrades but they can usually be bought for in game gold.)

The game so far has been free player friendly up through the mid levels so I am tempted to spend the ten bucks to get a permanent mount once I settle on a class combo that I might want to stick with. If I can get by with just spending a little every few months, I will keep playing it as a secondary game.

6. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

I'd have to ssay I am really liking it too. I am on the Grimdal server. A new update has only just come out (an hour or so ago) which opens up some new stuff and raises the max level from 50 to 52 until chapter II comes out in September and that goes up to 55.

It't be good if we could get an idea of who is playing and on which servers so we can start a guild or all join an existing one.

7. QueensKnight

I got back into playing this a bit. (On Artemis if I recall correctly.) It is still a lot of fun for casual play with cool folks. The update comes out soon (allegedly). :D I'll probably give it a whirl a bit again at that point.

Later.

8. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

still having fun, and got myself a guild. wolfpack, they seem a nice bunch. I have found some of the other randoms to be really nice and you can get yourself a party pretty easy and go tackle some big mobs etc.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  9. Grimson

Grimson Getting Started

My main character is leveling up nicely too. I bought some diamonds since they had a special this weekend (up to 30% more diamonds per purchase) and I can now get a mount once I'm sure I will like my current main. I figure the $22 I spent on diamonds will be worth it to help support the game. Because of the diamond bonus, a permenant horse mount will work out to a little over $7 unless I catch them on sale too.

Also, Chapter II is supposed to release on Sept 15. and add the elves as a playable race along with two new classes.

10. Mortlmike

Mortlmike Retired Captain

I have been looking at this one as well. I didn't know if there was any tog presence in it. I will download it and check it out today or tonight. I may yell at you guys once I get the hang of it.

Mortlmike

11. MaMo76

MaMo76 Well-Known Member

downloading now.. 5.2Gig..:eek:
    looks promising.:cool:

12. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

and chapter II is out. you can choose from elves or humans.... man, this is just sucking my time. I'm going to need an IV drip so i can stay at my puter!

13. Grimson

Grimson Getting Started

Chapter II adds some nice features and raises the level cap but the two new elven classes (Warden and Druid) really aren't ready. The elite skills for those two classes are not in the game yet and its the elite skills that make or break a class combination.

I've created an elf and started on the new Elf starter island and you can level there until the low teens before being sent to the main land to level doing the same older quests as the humans. It also seems that outside the new starter island all of the content is basicly the same reguardless of your race. There may be a few elf only quest chains as you level but the leveling areas stay the same until you hit the new high end content.

14. MaMo76

MaMo76 Well-Known Member

Made a Char -Artimos- elf warrior

How do you do dual class ?! saw you had two dual classes Grimson.

I ended up on the euro servers as I registered as Austrlia and for some reason the US region didn't except my password login, and the facts said it had to be the euro region?! and that worked..
    level 6 atm.. looking forward having an other go tonight or so. but just having a look at it, does your character only exist on that particular server?!
    so I couldn't try and join up with an other togger?!:(

still learning how it all works though.. ended up dying like 5 times in a row at the start with a ranger char, then dumped him as range didn't really seem to be an advantage as the snails and bunny's can super attack from a distance it seems (running away is no use) , then walked in circles for i don't know how long trying to find my way out of the grove after I leveled up with my warrior char. (harvesting everything I came across:p) and also in one quest I accidentally dropped a quest item and thought it at least to drop on the ground.. took me half an hour to figure out to abandon quest and then start quest again to get the item back.:rolleyes::D

made a bow with woodwork and some clubs in smithing.. interesting the crafting..
    new to this but I think I can get used to it.. had a few convo's with peeps too..
    is there a TOG guild? or how does that work?!

15. QueensKnight

You should be questing to level up.

When you get to level 10 you get a quest that sends you to get your second class.

If I recall correctly, your character is only on the particular server you created her/him on.

I had fun getting to about level 20/20.

Later.

MaMo76 likes this.
  16. Grimson

Grimson Getting Started

Yes, you are limited to the server you start on and the euro servers are seperate from the US servers. Not sure that the servers matter as much as having people on during the times that you are on since we don't really have a TOG group anywhere.

---

You can add a secondary class at level 10. The Varanas class hall NPCs will have you pick your secondary. The airship that takes you off of the elven island once you are done there will drop you off in Varanas a little north of the class hall.

You will get to use the general ablilities of your secondary class along with the general and class specific abilities of your primary but you also have to level your second class. For example if you added knight to your warrior, you could train knight skills such as enhanced armor to raise your physical defense, and defense technique to raise your parry. In addition to the general skill you will also be able to quest for elite skills once your secondary class gets to level 15.

To level you seconday class you have to swap them and make it your primary and you can do this in either the class hall or in your house. I fight with my primary class and then turn in quests with my seconday class to level it. I only need to keep the gear of my primary class upgraded by doing it this way but other people keep gear for both and will fight and quest as either class.

---

Another thing you will want to look at are the addons at curse.com. I run several of the addons that make life easier.

"Advanced Quest book" shows where to get quest drops and where to turn in quests on your main map.

"Ultimate Blacklist" blocks spammers based on keywords and has most of the gold farmer sites in the default list. Not sure if its much of a problem on the euro servers but the spam gets annoying quick on the US servers.

"Advanced Auction House" upgrades the AH window by letting you do better searches for gear based on the stats on the items and stuff instead of just the item names.

Longer term you will also need "PBInfo" its includes several abilities but the biggest one is it's threat meter. The meter shows the threat levels of the people fighting a mob so that you can control your aggro based on what you are supposed to be doing in the group. If you aren't the group's tank, you will want to keep your threat level under the tank's level and not steal aggro.

MaMo76 likes this.
  17. MaMo76

MaMo76 Well-Known Member

thanks heaps guys.. I will get those addons, as I do have trouble turning my quests in not finding the people..
    :bigthumbsup:

18. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

Well i think that i'm going to give this one a shot. Do we have a server picked out yet for US/NA players? I had huge problems trying to log into this game i put a ticket in and this is the response i got, haven't tried it yet but will tonight.

"start the Runes of Magic game and use the Region/Language button to change the Region to Europe - English and press Apply!
    Once the Launcher is fully reloaded change the region back to USA - English and press Apply."

Hope this helps anyone else who is having the same issues as i was/am. I was just about to give up on this game because of this, now i do believe i'll give it a go, unless this don't work then its wipe time.

19. Mortlmike

Mortlmike Retired Captain

I am actually quite impressed with this one. There are tons of things to do. It is a bit intimidating to a newcomer, I am trying to figure things out like the runes and the arcane transmuter thing. I think I may stick with this one for awhile.

I rolled on indigo, a pvp server because I think it makes it more interesting, but I may make a toon to join you guys if you are all on pve.

mortlmike

20. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

Well i'm in finally, i picked the Artemis server. Morlak lvl 5 knight :)