APAC CoE Home Report

Discussion in 'Chronicles of Elyria (Public)' started by Logan_P, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Logan_P

Logan_P Getting Started

@Blackstabbath Thanks for the kind words. I agree with Mandrake in that getting a bloodline package seems to be a nice mix of benefit and cost if you arent looking to invest in aristocracy or nobility.

Just a quick update from me: I have talked with both Kings (Lor Voskara and Tylsia) and have a few more things I want to ask before I compile my notes and write up a report. :)

2. Logan_P

Logan_P Getting Started

So over the past 3 or so weeks I have been talking with the two Monarchs King Xakorai (Lor Voskara) and Queen Katlynna (Tylsia). My preface for the conversations were identical: I was the outreach person for a gaming community and I was looking for a good home for the APAC portion of the player ase interested in COE. Primarily I was looking for demonstrable stability, goals and ambitions (leadership style) and game preparedness. I also touched on specific, kingdom centric, issues that I will detail individually.

Be warned, it’s a big ‘un. I have split it into two parts – first up:

Queen Katlynna of Tylsia, “Nobull”

Ruler

Nobull was quite easy to reach out to and very pleasant to talk with. He was quite accepting of the situation in which I wanted to talk with him, however did express regret that he hadn’t had much time to engage with me in the normal Tylsia discord. He was playing PUBG but was willing to make time for what was a protracted discussion.

Overall discussions were very open and quite frank, more so than I would have imagined. Sensitive topics were handled quite well and very few issues were taboo or off limits (sadly those that were, were quite important).

I go the feeling Nobull himself is very much a passive ruler by style. More than once his answers to questions were based on a “wait and see” method and several times decisive answers needed to be teased out past this. This isn’t a problem per se, but does lead to some questions about drive and organisational savvy, something supported by his own words, “I may take a while, but I will get there eventually.”

Nobull has a very strong awareness of his imagine in the COE APAC community which I believe feeds into his strong sense of loyalty. This is displayed in his ongoing support of the Northern Alliance and what it would mean to his credibility were he to remove himself from that. He maintains this in the face of mounting pressure from within his own community, and the realisation, that Aeqiutas does not gell with Tylsia’s ideals and community. While this integrity is admirable it also presents a barrier to Tylsia’s progression and perhaps hampers Nobull’s ability to realise what he wants (detailed below).

Coupled with his image, Nobull has a very good understanding of the political and social climate on APAC. He has solid opinions on the other rulers, including dukes, in play and approaches this through a very agnostic lens. He has a very strong sense of good and bad qualities displayed by each and how these would eventually affect Tylsia and future diplomatic relations (in reality the only negativity he spoke about was in relation to Emery and a layaway duke under emery).

Nobull, I feel, is quite measured and practical but this is limited by what he can accomplish within his pre-defined context of the Northern Alliance, and the default position is to not act until there is a very real need for action to occur (I am hesitant to say last minute here, but that is what I am thinking). His strong sense of integrity puts him at odds with enabling his vision of what he truly wants for his Kingdom and the sovereignty he so adamantly defends.

Overall I got the impression Nobull is a ruler that has been hampered by his own designs. He was late to declare his kingdom, late to promote his kingdom and presents a kingdom that lacks a basis in organisation (making up for this with roleplay flair), and, is at odds with an alliance he actively defends (to his detriment?). This is not to say he lacks the will to pursue his agenda and allow his kingdom to flourish, but sooner or later one of these aspects needs to give and what will happen when it does?

On Tylsia

Currently Tylsia is a layaway kingdom, with Nobull stating, “that he can pay the remainder off at any time.” I respect and understand this decision (that is no small amount of money) but does leave a shadow over stability (we have seen other Monarchs walk away from their pledges before).

Nobull has adamantly defended that Tylsia will be a Neran kingdom, entering into a bidding war to accomplish this if required. I questioned this, as currently Nobull has the least IP of the APAC monarchs, training the lead by some 100k IP. I tried to drill further into this but was told in no uncertain terms that this was a topic he could not discuss but was adamant that he had put things in motion to “surpass Omicronus’ IP by a large margin.” I understand this position, Tylsia split from Aquiatus due to tribe choice, Nobull and Co wanting Neran. To announce anything different to this would mean that Nobull would be in risk of losing some, if not a majority, of his community to Lor Voskara, who is in a much more stable place to offer such promises. I understand this but I cannot base my choice on such boasts as they are neither grounded in current fact nor are able to be substantiated in any meaningful way.

It is hard to pick apart the organisation of Tylsia from the role play aspect Nobull has put forward. On the surface a lot of the concepts seem to be very well thought out and planned but are based purely on theatrical elements? For instance, what duke, a person that has spent upwards of $3.5k USD, or has busted their butts to earn that title, will answer to a count who has been given a title similar to “hand of the king”? I understand a lot of communities are practicing this trend but it doesn’t sit well with me. Where does the discord stop and the game begin? How is this enforceable? Does it promote resentment? Along the same lines there are ideas such as free trade etc that are thrown out there but which don’t really have a lot of meat on the bone. The basics such as how these will work are not fleshed out beyond what sounds good on paper. I think there is a lot of creativity and flair here, but not very much that will stand up to the test of time.

It was challenging to delve further into this, as the answer was (rightly so) we will have to wait and see. Again I very much understand this but Tylsia is promoting something out there that is really just of no use at this point for anyone that isn’t an avid role player. I would have liked to see some more thought out, based on current information, organisation and thought. Nobull himself was very open to discussion on this but I feel this is something that needs to be actively pursued by a ruler, not passively reviewed.

Tylisa is currently formed of one layaway duke and a handful of counts, the vast majority of which seem to be refugees of the failed Crimson Alliance (CA). I specifically honed in on this as the CA were very vocal about taking over an NPC duchy and not being limited by a player king. Nobull expressed that he had, had extensive discussions with CA and were satisfied with their ability to adapt to his Kingdom. On pressing if he would support their ducal ambitions he responded with a similar watch and wait stance. This wasn’t good enough for me and I pressed more, putting it in clearer terms: Would he support their ambitions or not, would it destabilise the Kingdom and would he move to stop that. After much back and forth he stated he would prevent kingdom destabilisation and that meant forcing a stop to their ambitions if needed – an answer that was a little too hard to get for my liking.

Diplomatic Position

As this was perhaps the crux of many issues I had with Tylsia, we spent quite a lot of time with this topic.

Ultimately Tylsia is part of the Northern Alliance, but contrary to the very vocal position that Emery and Co puts out there that Emery rules this body and that it means Aquiatus is a double kingdom, Nobull maintains that Tylsia is independent ‘with strong ties’.

This offers a level of uncertainty as Nobull and his community has expressed a disposition towards Emery and his community, specifically their behaviour and political views on APAC. This naturally begs the question, why are you in an alliance with someone you neither respect nor support in principle? In a roundabout way I really dug into this issue and came to the conclusion based on Nobulls answers: While he is happy to wait and watch, Nobull feels that ultimately Tylsia and Aquiatus are not compatible and will eventually he will break away. He feels AQ is built on promises and Emery’s personality and will face trouble once in game. On a personal level he does not agree with some pretty strong elements of how Emery is conducting himself and has worked against this in the past. If the game was out right now and the issue was forced, he would rather turn on AQ (while still being a member of the alliance” than LV, who he views as superior in both organisation and position).

So why this charade? I believe it is because Tylsia is yet to find its own position on APAC and because Nobull is loath to make a decision he is not forced to, preferring to wait until the last minute. I also feel there is an element of image that he does not see as getting in his way: He does not want to be seen as betraying the alliance and thus making himself an enemy of Aeqiutas community. While this is understandable, does this not hedge him into, by default, being a puppet of Emery’s (who is currently calling all the shots it seems).

On Lor Voskara, Nobull has good relations with Omicronus, but the official stance is neutral. This is something I just couldn’t get my head around. Both communities are almost on par with how they conduct themselves (maturity level) and what they want to get out of the game, it is crazy that they are not in an alliance with each other. In no small part this is due to Aeqiutas (again, who is calling the shots?).

As previously mentioned Nobull wants to avoid all hostility but understands that conflict is an eventuality. On this he would rather be at odds with Aeqiutas than Lor Voskara. I found this to be an appealing position, stability for my county is paramount and I don’t want to group with people who will be seeking out conflict at every turn. It also spoke to Nobulls leadership that when push came to shove (perhaps too late in the piece) that he would put the needs of the many over his need to be loyal and maintain his image.

Tylsia is prepared to engage with unaligned groups and Nobull, as previously mentioned, is quite aware of and active in the APAC political scene. Tylsia takes a measured approach to inviting and accepting applicants to the Kingdom, as identified by their acceptance of CA. I would like to see how this approach would work if they had more numbers, I suspect risky entities such as CA would have been turned away.

Lor Voskara vs Tylsia

Overall I feel Tylsia is battling an uphill war with Lor Voskara in terms of attractiveness. They are a smaller, lower IP, slower to react, less organised, less prepared version of LV. They also come with significant baggage in the form of the Northern Alliance. While Nobull is a more articulate and charismatic leader than Omicronus’, he is a less responsive, driven, organised and decisive leader as well. At this stage it is a matter of form over substance for Nobull and Tylsia. If Tylsia manages to escape the shadow of the looming Aeqiutas/Northern Alliance and be recognised as its own entity free to pursue its own agenda, then who knows? But if I/TOG want to bank on laying some foundation now, do we have the luxury of waiting and seeing? I feel I do not.

Sorry, that was longer than I thought it would be but I really want this to be quite comprehensive. Next up, Lor Voskara.

Seventythree likes this.
  3. Seventythree

Seventythree Getting Started

Again, a very well written report, Logan. I would take my hat off for you, if I was wearing one. : D

Logan_P likes this.
  4. Logan_P

Logan_P Getting Started

@Seventythree Thanks for the kind words and support ;)

Without further ado, the second part of the detailed write ups: Lor Voskara.

King Alexirus Xakorai of Lor Voskara, “Omicronus”

Ruler

Omicronus was very responsive to my DM, he actually reached out to me to ask if I had any further questions about LV before I had initiated anything. He was very pleased that I did had further questions and was very accepting of the situation in which I was asking them. He let me know that he had just come off a nightshift and that this may affect his ability to respond, and checked to see if following up at a later date, or refining what he had said after some rest would be OK. I let him know that was fine but ultimately this was not required.

The first thing that struck me about Omicronus is that this is a man who is definitely NOT on the hype train. It becomes very clear when talking to him that he is very much in the planning “long haul” countdown to game launch and that his primary concern is his community and getting it ready. This is not to say that I could not discuss game concepts and vision with him, but his responses were grounded in reality and I got a sense of ‘been there, done that’ from him. He is interested in game theory, but ultimately does not plan around that and always comes back to what we know now and what he can do with that knowledge.

Discussions were open and frank to the point where Omicronus was comfortable outlying some of his forward agenda and planning. I was a bit surprised by this, asking if this was something not best kept within his community, his answer was blunt but followed a logically argument, essentially, “This is not ‘intel’ that will not be public knowledge within the next month. People cannot interfere or affect the outcome. What use is there holding back?” This practical approach was a theme that was infused throughout the conversation.

Omicronus is an active leader that is primarily concerned with his community and shaping his Kingdom to the latest game updates. Within this context he views blue sky thinking as something that needs to be discussed and possibly useful for the future but not something that should be factored into discussions now. He takes a similar approach with relations on APAC.

He is acutely aware that at this stage in the games development forming long term bonds, outside of recruitment and his community, is subject to game dynamics and mechanics. He is comfortable with the prospect of the Northern Alliance and what that means for his Kingdom and is not defensive or upset by it. He is also aware that by being the first active king within APAC he may generate a certain amount of criticism for his hard stance on what is acceptable behaviour for his community.

There is an underlying sense of optimism with Omicronus, and nothing appears to be too big or hard to work on, or put his mind to. He has a very team based approach to his kingdom building with him making frequent reference to more than one individual who he accepts advice from. I got a sense of a very easy going nature but ultimately im not sure if this was truly representative of how Omicronus is. His plans and motivations are very focussed, driven and organised. I suppose a person can be both, but I would not describe his leadership style as anything less than active and engaged (there is no laid back approach).

Overall I was impressed by Omicronus. Talking to him I could feel his passion for his vision for Lor Voskara and how he wants to get there. I found his points and arguments resounded with a logic I could not fault even if they were not as clearly and eloquently articulated as they could have been. I would have liked to have seen a little more excitement for the game but I understand that at his ‘age of investment’ he has seen a lot of ideas and excitement come and go.

On Lor Voskara

As Omicronus tells it, LV was formed by himself and the only fully payed duke on APAC, Preacher, splitting away from a kingdom no longer in existence. They did this due to becoming frustrated with the activity level of the King, in essence they were building a kingdom for an inactive king. It felt potent for me that the majority of this kingdom’s population was within their duchies, so transitioned with them. I feel this is important to note because it may feed into the practicality Omicronus displays. I can’t imagine the effort involved in setting up and administering to a single kingdom let alone having done it twice.

It is important to note that Omicronus is a fully paid monarch and currently sits in the 8th position on the IP charts, higher than any other APAC monarch by around 40k IP. I fleshed this out a little more to try and identify LV’s tribe of choice. Omicronus intends to pick Neran in the first instance and Janoa/Toresk in the second, but identifies that at this stage he cannot promise anything. I drilled further down on this and he stated tribe choice will be impacted by multiple factors, such as; biome location, position on the map, resource availability, natural defences, trade ability etc. It was also subject to future mechanical information on tribe benefits being released.

I brought up the subject of Nobull and his intent on Neran to which Omicronus expressed regret that they would be entering a ‘bidding war’. It was at this stage that Omicromus shared his efforts to secure his tribe of choice. In short should Nobull pursue a bidding war I cannot see him winning without life changing investment in the game.

Talking to Lor Voskara’s structure, Omicronus details the needs for usefulness and alignment with game mechanics in what he is building. Drawing on my previous discussion and example of ‘hand of the king’ I drilled this further. Omicronus has an advisory council that advises him on issues and his plan of action that is irrelevant of pledge level, but these people do not have authority in the game outside of their in game level. It took a bit of explaining at first but essentially he may ask a count what he thinks of something but that count is still only a count in game. He was also pointed in noting that his “hand” is one of his dukes, which is naturally supported by game mechanics that we know of.

Lor Voskara is currently formed of a fully paid duke and one on layaway. I found it hard to get a grip on how many counts LV has but Omicronus told me it was around 12, of which some are not very active on discord. This also included ‘double counts’, which I assume are those with alternate accounts? I was also impressed to see a diagram lay out the kingdom structure and that some of the counts had ‘full’ counties; those being ones with the maximum known amount of mayors and barons.

On the topic of community Omicronus was very stern is suggesting that they did not tolerate any drama and had removed people for instigating drama and putting themselves at odds with the community. I questioned this further and he stated that while it may cause drama to remove people, in the long run it was beneficial to the community as a whole to be free of immature and childish behaviour. I wanted more and drilled further, Omicronus informed that he had removed would be dukes and counts that did not conform with the expectation the community had of them and were unresponsive to teamwork. I asked if this way of acting had cost them some reputation, he agreed it may have, but again cited his community as the most important thing and quasi diplomatic relations within discord as a non-event at this stage.

Omicronus stressed the importance of practicality in his structure and creating something that was familiar to the average gamer, likening a kingdom to a guild in any other MMO. He noted that everything within LV tries to maintain the dual purpose of creating flavour (what I came to understand as culture) and setting foundations for a prosperous community. For instance, Omicronus cited the ‘caste system’ where players opt to be either warrior, worker or scholar as serving the purpose of connecting players through job themes, similar to tank, healer and DPS. I asked if this was a locked in affair, he stated that it isn’t and that its just a tool that can be used by a citizen to help feel connected, it also gives LV a unique cultural element.

Diplomatic Position

This is perhaps the weakest area of Lor Voskara.

As Omicronus is so inwardly focussed, looking to create a strong central kingdom before he looks outward, he does not have a large footprint on the APAC forums or central discord. Indeed he doesn’t have a large footprint, that I have access to, on the CoE forums either.

On relations with other factions, Omicronus is honest in saying he would like to do more to build relations with Tylsia but is extremely hesitant due to the relation they have with Aquitas. Omicronus has met with both Nobull and Emery, and while he has good relations with the former, the latter he finds frustrating and hence the hesitation. His stance on community and maturity put Lor Voskara naturally at odds with circulating with the Northern Alliance community, much like mixing a 30 year old with a 16 year old, there just isn’t a lot in common there.

Omicronus flatly refuses to engage with non kingdom/guild level organisations such as the Crimson Alliance. At first I was a little put off by this, thinking it arrogance but he explained that there isn’t much point maintaining or forming any type of bond with a group that small as relations in game are more than likely going to be had with their monarch. After I heard this it made more sense, it is a natural level of communication.

Despite the above Omicronus expresses a disposition toward any sort of hostility and maintains that he, and his kingdom, have not formed any type of lasting position with any other kingdom yet as there simply is nothing to base it on, in his words, “discord is not the game’. I can understand this but I wonder what would become of more engagement with Tylsia as they are aligned in more than a few ways.

Lor Voskara v Tylsia

There really isn’t a lot to say here. LV is Domino’s and Tylsia is Pizza Hut, there just really isn’t anything that Pizza Hut can do that Domino’s cant or doesn’t already do better. LV is organised, grounded, larger, in a better IP position, has a more focused outlook, plays games together, has a similar mature community and has more relevant structure. The only thing LV loses out on is role play, it just doesn’t appear to be a big focus for them right now. I feel more confident in LV being able to realise what it wants than I do with Tylsia, perhaps if some catastrophic event were to take place my opinion would have to shift. However this kingdom has been around for a year and hasn’t gone anywhere, I feel my bet would be safe.

Dolnor likes this.
  5. [TOG]Mandrake

[TOG]Mandrake Active Member Division Captain

good stuff logan.

just 2 comments... i actually like pizza hut more then dominos but they more expensive lol

and 2 LV saying they dont like drama which is interesting because from what i can hear Flash is in LV and flash is the very definition of drama...

i remember the first time i met flash and omg i sat back got some pop corn and watched the apac dsicord go nutz....

but yes i love your report you have defnetly done your due dillagence and it will help future apac toggers alot!

6. Logan_P

Logan_P Getting Started

@mandrake LOL mate, to each their own but even Eagle Boys is better than Pizza Hut! :p

There is no Flash in LV. I tried an @Flash search and also a word search for Flash. I asked a Duke about anyone called Flash and he searched the member base. No Flash o_O Maybe you are thinking about someone else? If you are talking about Flashman, he is a member of Tylsia. Also grats on the double county! :)

7. Logan_P

Logan_P Getting Started

So after a long journey it has become clear that I will be placing my county in Lor Voskara. It is simply hands down the best Kingdom on the APAC server.

I encourage all TOG members currently invested in the game, looking to alt on APAC (I'm looking at you Mando!:)), thinking about the game/lurking, or, unsure to join my Kingdom and help show support. The community is warm and welcoming and a great source of game info!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Seventythree likes this.
  8. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

Nevermind, got it solved how to add server to my Discord app. -)

TQQdles™

9. Logan_P

Logan_P Getting Started

@Dolnor good to see some TOG representation :)

Just a quick update on Lor Voskara:

There are now two confirmed dukes within this Kingdom. Uriel Valentine who I had previously reported on has defected from AQ and has joined LV after a period of consideration. Though I have not asked why, word on the street is that Emery's leadership style was the cause.

See you all in the Kingdom discord,

~LP