Archlord Beta Phase 3 players

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Ratspittal, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Ratspittal

Ratspittal Active Member

I just got my offer to enter the phase 3 of Archlord and just looking to see how much of a presence TOG has in the game and who is playing. I haven't DL'ed the client yet but will tonight.

Is there a list or people, a place to meet, a race that we are playing etc . . .?

2. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

TOG doesn't really have a presence in this game. I'm testing with a human mage, currently lvl 26, clanned with DREAD. Not sure who else is out there. I've been hitting the MoonElf and Human quests and character creation testing rather than concentrated gameplay, although overall it's a fun game. Especially if you like PvP.

At this point it's not got enough oomph to pull me out of Lineage2 with their new release of Chronicle5 ... I thought it would, but with C5 L2 has reached out its steely claws of obsession once more. I've revisited L2 from a new player perspective by rolling a character on the brand new L2 retail server ... just for kicks ... it's been almost the same grind :eek: ... AL is easier and equipment drops like crazy, but the AL grind is definately a Korean grind, and its not THAT much easier. AL took me 1 day to reach 16, L2 took me 2. Can't see trading in my tried and true grind-game-o-masochism for a slightly different one without my TOG friends.

3. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

I'm in as Morzac a lvl 10 Orc Warrior (not called warrior in game i think Berserker but not sure) and not in a guild. Don't really have an opinion on the game yet but 2 things you should know.
    1. Movement with wsad keys on the keyboard sucks and
    2. PVP is extreme, as soon as you leave the safe areas you can get jumped. (Not even sure of the lvl of the person that jumped me but he killed me 5 times in a row before i even knew he was around, i was busy just killin and questing then all the sudden i was getting attacked)

4. Meradin

Meradin Getting Started

yeah noticed that as well as soon as u are past lvl 6 u are free game anywhere exept towns. no warning what so ever had players up to 40 one tap me while trying to get some exp..(oh and u do get debt in pvp as well)
    even had a few camping outside town gates and jump anyone coming out of that gate.
    thats not pvp thats just dumb in my opinion.
    and will cut down lifetime of the game.
    will be hardcore players killing anyone thats trying to have some fun liesure style pretty much

but is a different game with new angles. thou its not a new game
    the beta is a translatedversion of a korean existing game

big cons in my opinion.
    1 character customation.
    gender class bound. few otions. (example of a hunter orc style: 5 faces 6 hairstyles. thats it and u have to be female! not even given a choise.)

2 wsad as stated above or mouseclick (which is allways turned on even if u use wsad. (camera doesnt follow with wsad have to rightclick and move it when u want to look another way even if u are facing that way (a-d isnt strafe its turn. u can however push 2 keys to get a strafelike motion.)

3 no turitorial what so ever. helpfile that u can read ingame isnt really uptodate some keys arnt right action.

4 will be fee´s in the future wouldnt buy this game for anything with vanguard and then warhammeronline around the corner

5 atm anything about the pvp.(with lvls there should be restrictions (zone´s, accept/deny if not its just like hacking in a fps to get a unfair advantage)

pro´s
    1 donno but feels like im playing a diablo2 3d edition. and liked that game lots.
    2 atm its free.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  5. doggsley

doggsley Well-Known Member

Will be downloading it later on.

6. Valdis

Valdis Active Member

game

I've given up archlord for good after seeing the latest patch notes. I can't see what purpose this game serves. Lineage 2 is similar, and has had 5 major updates to iron out most bugs and smooth out the interface. It was fun running around, the game does look quite good in many places. Maybe they'll put in a huge patch in the next 3 weeks, but from my experience in betas, this game is in poor condition. CoH, Guild wars, and SWG were both in far better shape earlier in the beta than archlord is.

So, it might appeal to some, but I'll stick with L2 for now.

7. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

I don't find it extreme at all ... but then I'm an L2 player. Its not like you lose a week of grinding when someone PK"s you ... you just end back in town and can run out another gate or port to another spot. Given that you don't lose XP and that higher lvl characters face substantial future pain for ganking, I expect the lowbie ganking to dramatically decrease come retail. There's no percentage in it and there's tons of "socially acceptable" PvP. I know several people in beta who are out there ganking simply because it IS beta and the toon will be wiped. They aren't going to do it in retail because as they say "penalties SUCK if this is your main!"

It's a PvP game for sure ... if that's not your thing, this game won't be a happy spot. You absolutely cannot grind without being always aware of potential attacks. If you aren't clanned you will be the target of random 'opportunity' gankers ... if you ARE clanned you will be the target of your clan enemies. After level 20 I could not grind without accepting many trips to town unless I was in a supporting party. Usually a duo, but always watching my back.

8. Ratspittal

Ratspittal Active Member

I heard for beta3 that the NDA had been lifted but I will avoid talking too much about the game anyway. Reading of Codemaster's NDA it is pretty lose so I won't be too nervous about discussing it briefly.

Movement is absolutely awful. ASWD control seem to run only on 90 or 45 degrees, click-and-run does nothing but gets you stuck on things. There is no collision detection or pathfinding to speak of. This alone would make me quit for good.

I haven't gotten much into the PVP yet but the Korean flavour of the game, the old school MMO attitude, the price, the GUI and last generation graphics are all pointing at a serious lack of success. For the third level of beta, this game needs to go back into conceptual development. I have been spoilt by games like CoH, Eve, Guildwars - it is hard to go back a generation and the only reason to do it is spectacular gameplay.

I will probably give up the beta pretty soon, considering that I don't seem to be authorized to access the forum although I have had a Code M accoutn with Codemasters for several years and the password into the beta forum. I can read it, I just can't post. Strange.

9. doggsley

doggsley Well-Known Member

Lasted about 10 minutes in this game before I deleted it from my HD. Movement was awful, as was the UI.

10. Ratspittal

Ratspittal Active Member

yeah, i tried, I really did, but I am out too. It did get better at higher levels but too much of the same.