ArchLord News

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Paksenarion, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Laquette

Laquette Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will violate the NDA either, but think RF Online with swords and bows, not lazers and robots. Almost like lineage in fact.

Oh, look I don't subscribe to eitehr of those games. I wonder if I'll subscribe to Archlord?

Still, I take beta testing rather seriously, so I'll still put the game through the paces that I can. At least I have Warhammer: Mark of Chaos beta to also keep me entertained.

2. Valdis

Valdis Active Member

NDA gone

From the codemasters forum.

3. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

Heh ... that's nice to know Valdis ..

It's no Lineage, but it's entertaining. IMO it's rough for a game that supposedly only needed a language translation and has been live for a year. I've got missing textures on some mobs, trip over tiny rocks, can run through trees and shoot through walls ... get stuck in thin air several feet away from a corner. Numerous mapping issues. Mob textures are elemental and repetitive (green mold, red mold, blue mold, hard mold, yellow mold ... it's still mold guys) and it's nowhere close to the jaw dropping beauty that Lineage2 brought. And the next target ability simply reeks. The WASD key movement is worthless ... use the mouse. That seems to have been a sop they threw to the western audience and they did it poorly.

On the plus side I'm still having a blast playing it. Questing is fun and rewards are good with some spectacular ones along the way. You can reach mid 20's simply running through quests. Not as fast as if you did grinding like a maniac, but not horribly slow either. The grind is not nearly as bad as L2, but harder than WoW and it seems exponential per level. By the time you hit 30, you slow down almost to L2 standards. And at 100 level cap, that's a hellacious grind.

The PvP is wide open and with no xp to lose you might as well go for it full bore. And many people do. Guild wars, individual pvp, battle squares, all sorts of PvP. The Villian structure allows people to go wild for a while, but they get yanked back to reality pretty quickly. Penalties are hard to get rid of if you go over the limit and become an official Villian (40+ PK's of players more than 6 lvls below you). If you initiate PvP (1st hit) you get a 20 minute flag that makes you fair game for anyone regardless of level (no villian points for the higher level). Mob deaths give 3% loss and it's quite easy for a high level to train lower levels to give them that % loss if they're not savvy about scrolling.

At lvl 22 I'm starting to see many more differences in character builds and the impact of choosing certain specializations. The mounts (lvl 35) are utterly cool. I've also seen some really neat transformations and ran around as a wolf for a while. Drops are plentiful, but finite in number so I'm sure that this will dry up as server population grows. If you play during "off" times, your drops are much much better. No money issues yet, although the mid-30 levels are starting to whine a bit. I made it to 22 in 3 days with no help, just grinding and questing ... it took me 2 weeks in L2 to reach lvl 12 at the beginning of that grindfest.

Party structure is weak. There doesn't appear to be an assist capability and no coherent reason to party other than auto-pickup and a party buff. Some major bugs still in beta ... the guild system keeps dropping players and is bugged ... the auction house is bugged ... the change character functionality didn't even work for a while and is still bugged (introduces major video issues for me and I usually crash soon) ... too many language problems to begin to list. Bug fixes seem slow.

My take: I'll probably play for a while until the Spring/Summer crop of games. It won't hold me like L2 did for 2 years, but it's fun enough and easy to pick up on. And the price is good. Lower level content is weak, but you dont' stay low level long enough for it to bother me.

4. Expedite

Expedite Getting Started

Its certainly not worth 40 bucks a month....... :eek:

5. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

No, but $10 a month isn't bad. I wouldn't go for the premium unless you're the type who lives to be Archlord and doesn't have a life.