Are there any MMO's that aren't subscription based.

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by jimmywrangles, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jimmywrangles

jimmywrangles Well-Known Member

Hi guys.
    I'm looking for an MMO to play but subscription games go against my principles.
    Are there any that i don't have to pay fees to play?:)

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

There's heaps, but they're usually rubbish and have terrible communities.

List of MMOs
    Might find something you like there.

jimmywrangles likes this.
  3. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

4. jimmywrangles

That's a pity and to be honest a bit of a surprise.:(
    I've had a look at the links and pickings are grim so I'll rephrase my question.
    Are there any non subscription MMO's that TOG has a division for?

5. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Or you could just give in and accept that it's a tried and true method of delivering quality content and security! :D

I got over my distaste of pay to play with EVE Online - they're up to their eigth (I think) free expansion thats being implemented right now. We get all sorts of balance tweaks, new toys and updates - and even prettier graphics :)

Basically the infrastructure requirements for something like a good MMO require more than just a one-off purchace investment.

But it goes two ways - if they stop delivering an engrossing and top quality product - you stop paying and playing :)

I know I've been asking the gods of FPS worlds to keep on delivering patches and content long after the developers have moved onto the next thing... Look at WoW and EVE - been going strong for 5+ years.

Take the plunge :D

6. jimmywrangles

I must admit Eve sounds pretty damn good but I'm a poor togger who can't afford much in the way of monthly fees.:rolleyes:
    Spectre makes a good case though so methinks I'l try Eve next time I'm financial enough.
    Thanks heaps guys for answering my noobish questions.;)

7. Mormi

Mormi Retired Captain

I was also against pay for play until I discover Star Wars galaxies and found I didn't buy another game in almost 12 months so what I save in not buying a new game or expansion every 6 to 8 weeks compared to a monthly fee I actually found the subs based variety a cheaper option.

8. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

Jimmy, I am playing some of the free games, and so far they have been very good. I'm definitely happy with the gameplay in Runes of Magic. The Allods Beta starts up again tomorrow, and that also looks very promising. It is a mix of Fantasy and Sci Fi and will always be free to play... It depends what genre of game you want.

9. jimmywrangles

Ahhh,now that's what I was after.
    Thanks Henri.:D

10. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

Have a look at SWGEmu (easily googleable), a community project to build a free to play emu of pre combat upgrade era Star Wars Galaxies.

The current server (test centre: Nova) is the only server and it's in a late alpha/early beta stage (still plenty of bugs), but you can play the old Star Wars Galaxies in most of it's glory for free if you've got a copy of the discs or can get them.

Runes of Magic is also decent, it's a WoW-ish free play based on diamonds (ie. microtransactions). You can play entirely free, trading gold you earn in game for rented mounts etc and crafting stuff for yourself, or buy diamonds and buy thigns like perm mounts and crafting stations for your house.

It's pretty straight forward and fun. I only bought diamonds once and spent what I'd spend on WoW over 2 months play. Played for 6 months free so I reckon I got a decent deal (there is no initial cost to play so for the cost of buying a boxed game you can set up one toon very well if you do choose to buy diamonds). The downside is the economy is hosed and anything of value sells for diamonds now. A diamond went from being worth ~5k gold to 50-60k last time I checked (months ago now). I don't imagine the inflation got any better.

The rest is a mixed bag, but they are free (apart from the download quota you have to use to get them), try em out and find out what you like I guess. =)

11. Sente

Sente Active Member

Guild Wars.

12. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

I played a lot of free MMO's over the years and some subscription based ones too. In my opinion there are a lot of good quality free MMO's out there. Maybe that wasn't the case 5 years ago, but developers these days do invest quit a bit of money in the making of these games, the upcoming Allods online for example has been made with a budget of 12 million USD. And if a free MMO turns out to be succesfull there is enough money to be made by selling all sorts of equipment, mounts and things such as double exp scrolls in their item mall to ensure that they can keep on investing in the further development of the game.
    As far as the communities are concerned, there will always be punks and cheaters out there, whether it's a free MMO or a subscription based one that you are playing. The best communities I've seen so far were on small niche based free MMO's that have only like a couple of thousand players.
    So I can advise everyone to at least try them out. I'm sure that for a part of our TOG players free MMO's are a good solution, because not everyone has a lot of time and money to invest in MMO's. And even those that prefer playing pay to play games can always try out a free one as a second game. I always do, that way I have something to play when there is a maintenance on my main game or if I'm fed up with playing my main I turn to my second game for a while.
    If you would like to try out Allods online with Henri and me give us a call Jimmy, we might be able to help you to a beta key.

13. HenriDeacon

14. jimmywrangles

I'll follow the linky and give it a go.
    See you there guys.:D
    EDIT: Downloading the game now and have already activated the beta key...this is exciting ,I've never played a beta or an MMO before.:D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    Ariya likes this.
  15. Markan

Markan Administrator Administrator Moderator

I see someone has already mentioned Guild Wars which I think is the only truly subscription free game where we have a strong TOG presence. It may fail the strict test as an MMO though based on what I hear (never really played).

For completeness though most of our LOTRO players pay a "lifetime" subscription fee to avoid any monthly cost (I know it would trouble me) and relieve the perceived pressure to get your money's worth each month.

D&D Online can also be played free. There is no official TOG presence any more but I think there are quite a few TOG people playing.

16. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

A lot of games now as well have gone for low/no subscription, but getting their money through micro-transactions and expantion costs.

One good game that hasn't been suggested yet is Guild Wars. You buy the game, and play from then on for free. We have a Guild Wars division, and that game is very good.

Also, if you can play enough, you can actually play EvE for free, as you can buy game time with in-game currency, so just get good and work hard ;)

Flint

17. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

Hold on to your hat, it is gonna be a crazy ride that will change your gaming forever!

I honestly struggle to pick up single player games any more, they just aren't the same as any MMO, even the bad ones.

Flint

Ariya likes this.
  18. jimmywrangles

Thanks for the replies toggers.
    So far I've decided to play the beta Allods and will most definitely play guild wars in the future.
    Huge thanks to everyone who replied with so much good info,this should see me good for the next year or more.:D

19. HenriDeacon

You might see me in game Jimmy and on TS. Character name is HenriDeacon :)

20. jimmywrangles

Ariya has already recruited me for tonight's gaming,8pm in the track mania channel.
    So methinks I'll definitely be seeing you.:)