ARMA II Coming to Steam, can Pre-Purchase now

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Jun 2, 2009.

1. C4

C4 Retired Captain

first impressions are not good, the engine doesn't look to be optimised. I will give it another go with everything on low... the mouse lag was horrendous, this at 30fps.

2. UN1TISGOD

UN1TISGOD Active Member

well ...it is a demo ..cut from the finished code ...also noticeed that there was a new patch released today.

also ...i watch my cores ..& if i crank every thing to max at 1440x900 *yes i know..its an old 19inch LCD...leave me alone* i get 25fps & all 4 cores are running at 89% .
    From what ive read online ..they reckon the game is more CPU reliant then GPU.
    Even when i dropped in a 8800 gts solely as a Physics processor ..i got no better frames ..so ..you cant offload physics to a 2nd card by the looks of it.
    Well..ill find out more tomorrow when the game goes live ..& ill try benching with the 8800 in & out ...other wise..its the quad cores carrying the brunt of the work & the gtx285..is just for the eye candy.
    could be wrong..but thats just my observations so far.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  3. Stompya

Stompya Company Commander

Mouse lag in Arma can be reduced by forcing Vsynch off in your videocard software, also ensure triplebuffering is disabled. I also have prerendered frames set to 1, think for ATI users this is flip queue size or some such.

Fair bit of tweaking needed to get game looking good on average hardware.terrain as low as possible, postprocess off. AA/AF normal, shadows high.
    Use some shortcut switches, -maxmem2047 -nosplash -winxp

noblur mod no blur mod - Bohemia Interactive Forums

optimisation guide Forums - Optimisation/FPS with ArmA II - Armaholic.com

4. Ulric

Ulric Assume a Can Opener TOG Shadow Ops

Hmm I wonder if it would work with 8 cores.......

Now there would be a reason to upgrade my system.

Am going to get it overnight or in the morning and see how it runs on my system.

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    ATI 3870 with 512Mb ram.

5. Major_Mess

Major_Mess Retired Captain

Hey all, how big is the Steam download? Can't seem to find the info on Steam.

6. Paulie_Walnuts

Paulie_Walnuts Well-Known Member

Big, I think it was around 8gb.

7. Nefarious*au

Nefarious*au Active Member

It's just shy of 8 gig, as PW mentioned. But it's finally hosted by Internode so unmetered for those of you who are on that ISP!!!

8. Major_Mess

Thanks fellas. I didnt realise we had unmetered steam mirrors here. Just did a Google and it looks like you can get steam unmetered on iinet via their 3FL site also.

I have not really looked into the details yet, but there is this on Whirlpool.
    iiNet Steam Content Expanded

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  9. Ulric

Ulric Assume a Can Opener TOG Shadow Ops

Major Mess....

Hopefully it will be down by the time you get it.

When I did the Download I had steam set for the 3fl server, but the content was still coming from OS (you could tell the speed difference) and therefore was metered.

Good luck with it.

10. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

Internode is the only aussie ISP with it on their content servers at the momment

11. Major_Mess

Thanks fellas, yep only Internode so far. 3FL apparently had a network issue unnoticed for 2 weeks and the transfer from Valve was running really slowly. Fixed it 2 weeks ago but still are missing a lot of stuff which is apparently still transferring. They reckon they will have the complete content from Valve. My guess is there has been another stuff up and no one has checked the progress with Valve.

Anyway, they will eventually get there, so will grab it then and poke my head back in here.

12. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

iiNet bolloxing things up, and saying they do stuff they don't... yep, thats why I left'em. Useless sods! :p

13. r8response

The problem with Steam, is its not the ISP's who decide on what content to mirror. Its up to Valve :(

14. Nefarious*au

Nefarious*au Active Member

I actually contacted them about that. All content is hosted on ALL steam servers, it's just that it takes time for it to "propagate" (their words) to all servers.

So any product released on steam will be available on all of our servers, it just takes time.

That said, don't assume that because you've got steam set to download from a particular location, that it will ONLY look their. If it can't find it on the selected location, it will look elsewhere. The only way to guarantee that it is using a particular server is to force it with something like steamwatch.

15. r8response

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Purg likes this.
  16. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I believe, at least in iinet's instance if you're with them, that it also matters which location you choose.

At the moment ARMA2 is Internode only apparently but I had my steam download location set up to 3FL-NSW. If iinet was hosting it only out of WA then it's not guaranteed that's where my Steam client will grab it from since I'm not pointing at it. Would likely come down to bandwidth contingency...

Once upon a time, if you double clicked a downloading in progress game it would report its source - these days it only seems to flash advertising if anything there.. :mad: haven't worked out a way to determine where my steam client is grabbing its content from.

17. r8response

Grab TCPView from here TCPView for Windows

Load it up next time your downloading in Steam. Let it settle for about a 30s and scroll down until you see steam. 90% of the time it'll tell you exactly where your getting the content from

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

You set it in the options somewhere, on what your priority server is. So even if you're with one of those you still have to tell it.

19. Major_Mess

That's the line a dickhead on Whirlpool keeps insisting on.... No offense to you R8, it's the way he is going on about it with no details of where he got the info that Valve ignore there mirror partners, and seems to feel he is losing face and has to argue his cause. Anyway......

It is not the case and of course Valve will talk to the mirror owners. That is how Internode got it early. They are more customer service orientated, where as most ISP's don't care and happily lie to customers. iinet are actually worse to deal with than even Telstra, but if you have no issues there rates are pretty good, especially if on older now unavailable plans.

I sent an email to Valve requesting they get ARMA2 on to one of the 3FL mirrors. Got a reply at 4am this morning, which is pretty good response considering it is Monday in the US, and they said it was being arranged. Four hours later I got another email saying it had been transferred to one of the 3FL machines but the other if full. This means it should now be sitting on the WA 3FL PC. Using the lookup tool still only shows it is at Internode. I have sent an email to let them know and imagine I will get a reply in the morning.

It should not matter which server it comes from as it is all part of iinet's Freezone.

Yep setting the server in the Steam app seems to make bugger all difference even when you know the files are there. The only way to make sure the data is coming from where you want is to use networking to block all traffic on the steam transfer port and then allow just the servers you want. There are several guides around to get this done using various methods.

20. Major_Mess

I gave up on Steam and 3FL getting their acts together. I got a refund from Steam as they guaranteed it was available from 3FL and it wasn't due to whatever issue they are having.

Checked ebay and there are two sellers from Melbourne doing the game delivered for under $70, which makes it the same price as steam. I ended up ordering off a Thai seller for $35 delivered. Should be here next week.