Armored Warfare

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by _Riven, May 8, 2015.

1. _Riven

_Riven Getting Started

Hi all.
    I can't see one yet but I am assuming that we will have a forum up and running for Armored Warfare at some stage soon?
    I just bought the Lords of War founders pack and want to have a good friend list to hook up with and play regularly.

Many others get a founders pack in anticipation for early access -> open beta?

2. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Well-Known Member

I placed a thread here also. But a dedicated thread will only be given if there is enough interest in the game. At this stage there seems to be little interest for AW. :(

3. _Riven

_Riven Getting Started

No worries Tzeentch (I prefer Ultramarines myself in 40k but that is only because 40k doesn't have a Dwarves army), I'm sure interest will grow exponentially once it goes to open beta. I don't want to call it a World of Tanks killer but hoping for a World of Tanks compliment....

....but better :)

Would be great to get an Armored Warfare clan up and running, I liked having the guild chat in World of Tanks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. Spooky

Spooky Just Joined

That is too bad because I have high hopes for Armored Warfare. So much so I have been following discussion forums there daily, created a blog for it, bought the founders pack, and will be playing on 5/27.

But as Riven mentioned, it may take it getting closer to launch or OBT to really get much interest out of tank enthusiasts or WoT jumpers.

I never had a good feeling about War Thunder going more realistic and with similar tanks....AW at least has modern tanks and took WoT gameplay as a baseline and started improving on it.

WoT is king and will be for years, but it reached its peak awhile back already.

Mach 5 likes this.
  5. Tzeentch

As do I, only 4 days till early release :)

I have my Merc pack ready to roll!

6. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

Early Access Details

US Server 8pm – 11pm EST on weekdays and 7pm – midnight EST on weekends

10am - 1pm AEST Weekdays
    9am - 2pm AEST Weekends

7. Spooky

Spooky Just Joined

Don't forget even from the US you can play on the EU servers...your progress will be kept separate between the two servers and hopefully the ping won't be too bad, but I suspect many will be doing just that.

EU Server: 6pm – 9pm CEST on weekdays and 5pm – 10pm CEST on weekends
    US Server 8pm – 11pm EST on weekdays and 7pm – midnight EST on weekends

I believe to get from CEST to EST subtract 7 hours...so EU would be 11-am-2 pm EST weekdays and 10am to 3 pm EST on weekends.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  8. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

Ah bollocks... = \

9. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

Registered on the AW website a year ago now, and have been following ever since. Looking forward to "Early Access" as they are calling it. Bought my pack the day they were available and have watched quite a few YouTube vid's over the previous few months. There are actually quite a few recent ones as the Russian server opened a week earlier than the NA/EU ones will this week. Here is the link from Spooky's blog (as he seems too modest to list it here):
    More Armored Warfare gameplay from the Russian early access test - Armored Talk, an Armored Warfare blog

BTW Spooky, your blog is brilliant and seems quite favoured amongst the AW dev's and community as it is prominently featured this week as well!

10. Spooky

Spooky Just Joined

Thanks, I am glad you like the blog! I went ahead and put it in my signature now.

And yes, Josh (Jinxx71, Senior Producer of Armored Warfare) reached out to me last week which was very nice. They are doing some great things and I can't wait until Wednesday comes!

I wish the ea tests were 24x7 already, but they'll get there. I do plan on playing on both EU and NA servers though. ;)

11. Tzeentch

Guys make your vote count for the AW Poll , vote how you see fit

12. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

Game installed.

Took ~4 hours on my machine with a fantastic internet connection...but the d/l progress was erratic, at best, given the large numbers all having a go simultaneously, I reckon.

Like Spooky, I would expect to spend time in both the NA and EU test windows, as my hours are so completely bizarre under the best circumstances regardless. I don't know the mechanics in place for even finding another person during the test, but I'll try to secure Mach5 in game as well (it is my forum account name for AW also).

13. Tzeentch

Installing the game now :)

14. Vron

Vron Getting Started

Downloading the game now.

Already had a small moan on the AW forums re the early access times.. screws oceania players a bit. lol

15. Tzeentch

We are always last on the gamer lists for times and servers.

16. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

EU test window report:

Server very stable. No crashes. Ping wasn't ideal, obviously, but there was not a lot of deviation either in match or from battle to battle.

FPS was not as bad as I was led to believe it might be. R9 270x/16GB RAM. Lowered settings to high (from very high) and averaged about 42 fps. The smoke effects hit performance pretty hard (especially the smoke flares circling the bases).

I tested up into tier 2 for both dealers. I saw some players with tier 3 MBT's inside the first hour...not sure how they did that. :p

The camo/cover mechanics seem a bit wonky...as in unreliable...as in don't for a second think you might have your little Scorpion safely concealed from 500m away.

Whilst the auto-cannons on the M113 and LAV-150 are predictably inaccurate at range, the PT-76 gun can seemingly bullseye anything at range. The Scorpion fires low-velocity HE so leading moving targets is a must, understandably.

Oddly (or perhaps not), the most disappointing part of the (first) three hours (of Early Access) was seeing players in chat complaining about other players. Accusations of base-camping, timid play, threats to report, et al.

I saw quite a few platoons (up to three players), and there is a way to add friends etc in-game.

Finally, my first screen from a battle (my second or third--note already tier 2 present).

ScreenShot0001.jpg

17. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

kinda reminds me of BF4 tank battles.

So, after a few hours of play...is it worth it? I'm tossing up between WoT and War Thunder re tanks (prefer the latter) but am also interested in AW if the gameplay and mechanics are good.

18. Tzeentch

I think those who wish to go down the artillery path will enjoy the mechanics more :)

19. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

To be honest, the gameplay is much more similar to WoT than WT. Obsidian's goal is to take the best elements of the tank genre games and make it their own with modernised weapon platforms. Both WoT and WT are presently F2P (technically), and AW will be as well near the end of the year when it reaches open beta. If you have a few dollars lying about then you can get the cheapest pack (and upgrade later if you like) and play during the early access phase...which is only a few hours a day right now, but will expand shortly.

Tzeentch seems more optimistic about the improvements to artillery mechanics, but it will always be sky cancer to me until proven wrong. :)

20. Vron

Vron Getting Started

Well I was lucky enough to get 90 min of play in on NA server tonight, jumping on as I walked in the door from work.

First comment I would make is the visuals, like foliage etc, are very like WT, and sadly for me, I hate that look. I find it too cluttering on the eye, almost cartoon like. I do realise that this is a totally personal taste thing but for me it makes it harder to see the tanks even in front of me, lol

Game play seemed alright and likewise as I've read below, I saw a few tier 3s...which seeing as I only played the M113 meant watching them from afar.

I am sure their MM will not have tier 3s in with tier 1s in the long run....or I hope not.

Player ability...well when you think that it is more likely that those of us who have bought early access are among the more experienced players it was interesting to see how bad some played. :)

Saying that of the 8 or so games I played...most were quite close which was good to see. the action was fast paced and I didn't see it really bog down at all. Of course if you are like me and enjoy playing a sniping game it is possible this game might not suit that play style. Certainly I noticed I was spotted while still being quite far from the enemy...not moving.. in cover...in a light tank. So it will be interesting to see how spotting mechanics develop.

One thing I do hope comes out because I cant find it at the moment is a sniper mode button... I take too long scrolling in and out.