Armored Warfare

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by _Riven, May 8, 2015.

1. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

Shift key -- same as WoT, although I believe its command is listed as "change view" or something not very descriptive. I use a Logitech G13 gamepad and G600 mouse and didn't even have to create a new profile for AW..although I did create a spot for turning on the headlamps..which must do wonders for camo-rating :)

2. _Riven

_Riven Getting Started

My rig and experiences in early access.
    i7-4790k
    16Gb RAM
    AMD Radeon SSD
    Sapphire R9 280x VaporX
    iiNet ADSL 2+ (no fibre in the area yet sadly)

All graphics settings are on maximum
    FPS hits up over 60 and show average as 59.6
    Ping is 160-180

Everything runs smooth.
    Tanks feel 'tanky' vs sports car'ish.
    No quite as tanky as WT GF but more so than WoT.

Progression seems good, took several matches in both tier 1 tanks to get elited and get the tier 2 vehicle. Working on the other trees now and liking that it is not just grind but you unlock by '0 of 6000 damage within 100 meters' or '0 of 60 battles in vehicles of xx supplier'.

Experience #1
    I saw 'Fiuara Tank Girl' the Youtuber and her start game Youtube disclaimer. Managed to circle strafe her in my tier 2 Scorpian when she was in a tier 4 tank (not sure model). Killed 3 of her modules but she had 3 tanks backing her up and got me. Felt good to get a Youtuber but she did complain about damaged modules slowing her down coupled with server lag causing me to be lucky...

Experience #2
    Rushed to small construction site in the map with the highway running one side. Bumped in to a port a loo, instead of just crushing flat its sides popped apart in a semi realistic manner. So much so that I had to drive in to the other one to test. Then got surrounded by 4 light tanks when I didn't notice my team mates had all stopped further back. I'm by no means a pro tanker but I liked the fact that they didn't one shot me and I felt like I still had a chance to fight them off and (almost) get away.

Anyway the game is fun, the tanks feel good to drive and the maps are well laid out - no Malinovka open plains but some open areas and alleys in the 3 maps they had.

Overall glad I purchased the Lord of War pack and can't wait for better server time as I miss out during week days.

3. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Well-Known Member

For those of you who wish to look at this game before you commit to anything, then here is a post in the AW forums dedicated to Youtube, Streams, and Screenshots. AW Forum
    :)

4. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

I hope they place the US server on the west coast :D

5. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

As the first EA test comes to its close, I thought I'd share a little of my experience. Overall, for something Obsidian says is little more than an Alpha build, the game itself was quite playable...much more so than may games in later-stage beta, or even release.

That said, there were indeed some bugs and overall balance issues that plagued game play. The most reported and well-known bugs revolved around sniper-view...especially around and near buildings...or the 90 degree rotated view (which I was fortunate to experience only once, thankfully).

ScreenShot0022.jpg

Graphical glitches otherwise were pretty minor, but the hit-boxes of structures and terrain were sometimes inaccurate. As for the vehicles themselves...I found most to be quite enjoyable and appropriate for the tier. The tier IV Sheridan light tank, however, was extraordinarily over-powered and will almost certainly be raised a tier and/or beaten down with a nerf-bat (or it better be anyway).

As mentioned previously, optimisation is on-going. In the meantime, even moderately good systems have to make some adjustments to achieve acceptable fps. As Vron mentioned above, the CryEngine 3 visuals may not be to everyone's liking, but I personally like the contrast to WoT (whose BigWorld engine HD models are quite lovely as well). Aesthetics are important to me, and the game looks good.

Much of the criticism on the AW forums revolved around the same sort of vitriolic in-game chat that plagues a lot of games of these sorts, especially since a vast majority are WoT veterans. By the weekend, accusations of camping the bases were getting a great many fussed in lop-sided affairs. Also, the tier III-IV MBT's do not have the armour commensurate with the power of the guns utilised in these matches, and the HE autocannons on AFV's can shred them readily if given time and exposure. Obsidian may have to either buff the armour or reduce the effectiveness of 20mm cannons against them.

Despite these issues, I found quite a lot to like in this first test-period, and look forward to the changes forthcoming. Make no mistake, I am a very (maybe very slightly above) average sort of tanker, but still managed to help carry a few matches and gave more than I got in the end. I spent more battles in the tier III T-62 than anything else. I played 115 battles on the NA server where the ping was better than EU, where I did manage to play another half that many again.

Below I've attached my final totals for the NA server (which I believe is on the American west coast r8response) as a curiousity. You can note here my fairly modest totals, which interestingly enough are not terribly different from my WoT profiles. I even spent large portions of some matches simply exploring and seeking out advantageous positions etc (there were only 4 maps). I also have attached my totals for the T-62...the vehicle I used the most.

ScreenShot0024.jpg

ScreenShot0030.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  6. _Riven

_Riven Getting Started

I've been playing early access 3 on weekends and focussing on PVE. The medium AI match queue is on average 1-2min, I tried hard difficulty a few times but after 5min in queue I gave up, 9pm-midnight Aus timezone is probably far from ideal for the majority of international players though.
    The medium AI cannot compete with a human player one on one, if you stay just at the limit of viewable range you can generally get 1-2 shots in before they react. This is countered by the overwhelming numbers of AI tanks that can come against you in a PVE mission.
    The AI tanks all start in the same spots so you after a few matches you know where to look - this will hopefully be randomised in later versions.
    The AI can be good, using cover, angling the armor and trying to circle to get to your sides and rear.

A PVE game has 3 mission maps chained together, the mission needs to be complete to progress to the next map and all players are able to progress to the next map even if you die, so if you die do not leave the game as you will be able to play the next map as long as the mission is completed. Some players have left after the first game and matchmaker does not replace them so you have one player down for the remaining matches.

The rewards are not as high as a PVP match and the longer PVE missions mean that for cash and xp you will gain faster by PVP, you can make good money and xp just not as much as PVP.

PVE maps are good, they are PVP maps that have been re-bordered to provide a smaller area or more focussed area (town area of a map only or map length road with a little bit of land on either side and you have to clear mini bases as you progress down the road...etc). PVE matches also provide environmental affects like low light and foggy areas. Headlights do function but no idea if they increase AI detection radius yet, I haven't noticed any difference.

A problem people have noted is that completing an objective will sometimes result in a counter attack from the AI, this is from a close by area and tanks spawning in. Lots of fun if you are on your way around the back of an area and a team mate takes the objective and 4-5 tanks spawn next to you...

There are still some bugs but the game in its current state is fun to play, the bugs will get ironed out and each release the game gets better and new features, vehicles and maps are added.

Note: I just unlocked and purchased the Sheriden... oh my that derp gun puts giant holes in tanks. Long reload and no armor balance it out though. Maybe a WoT KV with 152mm derp gun scenario where it just gets moved up a tier, I don't think a few hits of the nerf bat are needed.

Hoping to get a TOG clan going in open/release.
    If anyone wants to add me as a friend my game name is: Riven

7. aikanaro

aikanaro Just Joined

I'm a WoT jumper, and for every 1 game of WoT I'd have about 20 in AW. Difference is easy to see, WoT download HD is 6GB, AW download HD is 19GB. They use a more up to date engine which improves the graphics to suit more powerful machines. Apparently WoT's engine is designed to suit low end machines based upon Russia's internet capabilities or more importantly there computer technology in house holds etc. It was expected they improve this but to date have not done so although they say it is coming.
    AW you don't have to buy garage spaces for your tanks, Oh love the fact that research is 2 pronged, you have rep to improve modules, but your next tank uses a totally different system so unlike WoT where you have to expend even more XP to get the next tank. In AW your next tank develops separately to your module development.
    Another aspect is that you can put the same commander in ALL of your tanks. The commander are interchangeable (at no cost) but each tank has there own designated crew which cannot be changed.
    Unlike WoT, AW provides a PvE experience which a good money making venture when you can do hard missions. Rep however is better through PvP. So PvE for money, PvP for better rep (xp).
    I find there premium vehicles a lot to be desired, in fact in comparison the only benefit of premium is the added money and rep gained. Similar vehicles of the tier are superior to the premiums in my opinion.
    There large repair and med kits actually have a passive buff which works until you use them. So fit one of each but try not to use them (there not cheap). There maintenance kit is a priority purchase, you only ever have 1 and it restores 20% health and reloads your ammo (all of your ammo).
    So for me, AW smacks WoT to the pavement.
    Oh, I forgot to mention they have wheeled vehicles, if your on a high ping of 170+ then they might not be for you. I find there too uncontrollable and tend to over travel and over compensate when driving them. Be prepared to run into a lot of things. I think low ping areas they would be fine, I've suggested they include a tracked version for every wheeled one so that players wanting to go down say the TD line can get tracked TD's instead of the wheeled ones.

8. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Well-Known Member

Great to see you guys liking the game :)

9. Spooky

Spooky Just Joined

The lateral unlocking is cool. I think they hope to do more of this. And the way they are going to allow players to unlock tier 9 vehicles is nice (they provide a choice) too.

10. Ana Newton

Ana Newton Just Joined

Ohh wow thats really good news.