Ashes of Creation

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Dracokalen, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Dracokalen

Dracokalen Getting Started

AOC is an in development game. They are firmly into grouping and are working on the PVP systems.

The character class system is really interesting, at least to me. You start with the standard 8 classes and then pick an archtype and that MODIFIES your class not dual class.

[​IMG]

2_islands and Rukus308 like this.
  2. Dracokalen

2_islands likes this.
  3. Dracokalen

4. Dracokalen

5. Mind Rott

Mind Rott Well-Known Member

Interested to see how it turns out.

6. Dracokalen

Latest Dev chat

7. Mokk

Mokk Active Member

Beeing an old WOW player I miss the fun of exploring a new world and the progression with my fellow TOGers. Will most likely give this a try when it goes live.

8. Wizewon

Wizewon Getting Started

This looks good. I really appreciate the vision behind this creation... however, I'm growing weary of Kickstarter initiated games.
    While I'm not a fan of big company produced mmo's and have petitioned and spat my disappointment for rushed completion as marketing / revenue rears its ugly head... i equally despise the other side...
    Game development dragged on and on and on... so far that new remodeling takes place to accommodate new-er video capabilities, programming advancement, etc.

I hope this game stays on track. A fascinating wide range of just about all missed and then some to old school DAOC days.

2_islands likes this.
  9. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

I too am interested but wary.
    Something just feels off about this game at the moment, it's got that Star Citizen/Shroud of the Avatar feel about it. Promises the world but just seems like an endless series of monthly store options to pull more and more money from potential players.

I will keep watching but will wait until I start seeing some real development.

2_islands likes this.
  10. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

A video about this game popped on on my you tube feed. It sounds promising, but I think I have been burned by MMOs over promising, under delivering, and then slowly morphing in to clones of each other in the pursuit of maximum profit rating.
    The cosmetic cash shop worries me, having a character consent and being able to achieve that in game (both in appearance and function) with our having to pay extra, or grind for months on end, is important to me. Even more so if they have a subscription.

Nevertheless, I will be keep and eye on on this game.

2_islands likes this.
  11. Blimpieboy

Blimpieboy Active Member

I have high hopes for this one. I hear your concerns MMOGAddict and Erebos, and they are certainly valid. I *hope* this will be different, given that the man behind the game has donated many millions of his own money to meet HIS vision of what a MMO should be. Who knows whether he will stick to that, or whether it will work (it is very ambitious) but we NEED it to work!
    Ok, now i am sounding desperate instead of my intended "optimistic".... :)

12. Katey

Katey Getting Started

I've been following this one since they hit KS and pretty optimistic for it.
    Alpha 1 testing will start in the next month or two (with no NDA) so people will be able to get a good look at how the game is doing soon.

13. flyinkiwi

flyinkiwi Active Member

My summary based on several videos and livestreams is that I like the fact they have leveraged existing technology to the hilt and done some things no one else has tried. The way they're allowing the playerbase to develop the world in a limited fashion is pretty damn cool. My fear is that it will be far too grindy for my taste, but that seems to be what people want from a MMO these days.

2_islands likes this.
  14. 2_islands

2_islands Lead Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I'm of the same opinion. I've been burnt with Firefall and Shroud of the Avatar. I feel like I'm being slow cooked with Star Citizen. The original addiction has now turned into the come down of the rush. Logged in last night and left with a feeling of total dread, the spark of excitement gone. Not a journey I wish to ever repeat.

My interest is sparked and my wallet will remain closed. I'll wait to see the product on release.

15. MidKnight5710

MidKnight5710

-= BRONZE =-

I'm really looking forward to this one, but of course I understand the whole "once bitten twice shy" feelings of many gamers. The market seems to keep getting flooded with crowd funded games.

However I've backed at A2 (alpha 2) level I was a little too late to get an A1 (alpha 1) package :(, but I've been following the development since backing very closely though.

They recently announced that A1 (Alpha 1) backers will gain access to play test AoC fairly soon-ish

December 18th to 21st - Pre-Test 1
    All Alpha 1 backers will have access
    NDA Will be in effect

February 19th to 22nd – Pre-Test 2
    NDA will be in effect

March 19th to 26th – Pre-Test 3
    NDA is not scheduled to be in effect

April 6th to May 6th – Alpha 1 access
    NDA is not scheduled to be in effect

BTW - If anyone wants to theory craft or talk more about AoC I'd be happy too!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  16. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

I really like the build up your area to access better dungeons idea. It's something you see in many Litrpg books but not in games.

Pity the game is so far from launch.

MidKnight5710 likes this.
  17. MidKnight5710

MidKnight5710

-= BRONZE =-

Yeah the whole idea behind nodes, leveling and their zone of influence is interesting for sure, at first glance it comes across as the typical "guild A holds this area" type deal. But the nodes aren't guild specific and a players loyalty is to their chosen node (village/town/city/metropolis) rather then their guild, which adds a very different approach to the normal MMO.

Overall I think Intrepid are on track to use existing game ideas and innovate them on a grander scale. However seems like it's just another case of waiting like so many other games atm.

18. octoclops

octoclops

-= BRONZE =-

Exactly. I swear, it still hurts seeing Firefall mentioned - as well as seeing it still sitting there, uninstalled, in my Steam library.

I've been burnt before... they promise the world and next thing you know, the money is gone and the game is abandoned.

19. MidKnight5710

MidKnight5710

-= BRONZE =-

I was burnt by at least 3 supposed MMOs so far as well as a few other kickstarter projects over the years, each and every time it stung A LOT - But unfortunately it seems that the crowd funding business model is the way forward with a large number of the interesting games that we'd want to play.

It's my hope that eventually one of these games will break the cycle lol, as for "Ashes of Creation" my sole hope is that there's way more transparency then with a lot of the other crowdfunded games I've backed in the past.

20. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

If it takes $100M to build an MMO I am not sure if this model can support such a project and I think that this is what leaves so many games unfinished. They can raise $5-10M to get the game started but is nowhere near enough to finish it. I think this is where AOC, Crowfall, Pantheon and Camelot Unchained are all sitting and why maybe only 1 of them may actually be finished.

Now I know a lot of people are going to read this and start telling me at what stage each of these games is at, but consider this one thing. The last 10% of the development will take 90% of the time and resources. So if game A is 80% of the way done they could be years and years away from ever launching.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020