One: Backward compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by ohio.medic, Jun 16, 2015.

1. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Division Captain

At E3 Microsoft announced backwards compatibility for 360 games on the Xbox One. Supports digital and retail disc. Available today for Xbox preview, and launches this holiday.

2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

Nice update to the firmware coming. Great idea by Xbox.

Sony on the other hand will probably not as they will want the developers to release new versions of older games enhanced for the PS4. What's it called. Reimaged.

3. ohio.medic

We can hope Sony changes their mind. I know the E3 before launch they supposedly got rid of their online only requirement due to backlash for the Xbox.

4. Chief

Chief Well-Known Member

I doubt Sony will as between the remasters and Playstation Now they're making too much money selling people games they already own.

5. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

Yep. Remasters are what Sony are targeting.

I think they made a major mistake in this area back at PS3 launch in Australia.

Emulation can only go so far and nothing for PS4 cements this fact.

PS Now I'm not convinced will work.

6. ohio.medic

I could see PS Now doing great if they changed two things. They need all the back catalog of PS3 games on it. They also need to get the games all under the subscription. I can understand not including games that just came out, but not having games that are 5 years old as part of the sub service is hurting them IMHO.

7. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Good move by MS, because I am sure a lot of 360 gamers are hesitant to upgrade to the Xbone due to their massive library of 360 games. This gives those gamers a reason to purchase a Xbone. But I find it ironic that you spend $400 for a next gen console to play 360 games. But I'll bet a lot of those gamers don't even touch their 360 games on the Xbone, but in their minds they'll feel justified for the purchase.

Sony won't follow MS on this since it would cannibalize their Playstation Now service. So I don't see Sony following suit.

I was also hoping for a newer version (PS4) with a larger HDD, I think news about this would force a price drop. I was hoping for a price cut on the PS4, but this only tells me that the console is still selling incredibly well.