Battlefield 1 sexist?

Discussion in 'Battlefield (Public)' started by JGR, Jul 5, 2016.

1. JGR

JGR Well-Known Member

2. FarKinnell

FarKinnell Active Member

Hope they have never read the in-game (BF4) chat then

3. HippyTree

HippyTree Active Member

It's like hipsters, its cool.
    Its cool to be a gamer/geek girl now.
    Problem is its only cosmetic for most, or at worse a stage to push there ideas.

Then again I could be totally wrong.

4. Metalstorm1970

Metalstorm1970 Retired Captain

I, for one, welcome our new overlords and masters. Well... actually... not even new overlords and masters. Think about this... men went off to die on the battlefields of France, Belgium and Turkey for the sake of their women and children; to protect them from evil-doers; to impress them with their valor as manly men who shot and killed other manly men.

In other words, it's arguable that the men who died in WWI did so because they were sent there by women. Or at least, because of them. :D

Of course, I am now a single man again, so I need to be seen to stand up for the ladies' point of view.

My point in response to the original post is this: Who cares? There's a storm in the tea-cup, the saucer's getting hail, and ultimately, BF1 is going to be a game, not a documentary. This is exactly the kind of bullshit discussion that keeps women out of FPS gaming communities, even though women are now over 50% of the gaming public.

I say bring on the geek girls. Give them some concessions. Get them playing FPS games and just get on with your lives. Communities with women in them are more interesting than those without. Vive la difference. :)

5. nietzsche

nietzsche Battlefield Leader

I'm not sure where the 50% of gamers being women stats comes from Metal, but in TOG I have seen 4 women in FPS games (Planetside/CS:GO/Battlefield).

That compares to perhaps 300+ male Battlefield players. This particular demographic is absolutely dominated by males. I would say 95%+ FPS gamers are males. Not sure how that relates to sexism in gaming...

6. JGR

JGR Well-Known Member

Based on over 20 years of FPS gaming experience, most women FPS players actively *don't* advertise they are women because of all the undue attention that that generates...

In MOH original you did have the option to play as a female...
    Some did so because it was a smaller target...:D

7. JGR

JGR Well-Known Member

Definitely...
    Although there are a hell-of-a-lot more aggressive young women running/driving around these days compared to 40 years ago when I was a young man, women are still women with their evolution influenced design...

Testosterone causes much of the aggression in the human species...
    Men have a lot...
    Women have very little...
    Simples...

Domination games like FPS satisfies the inner reptile in us...
    Predominantly it is the male of the species which has a need for this overt display of superiority, as does the lion, the bull, the fighting fish...
    After all, this behaviour tended to result in mating rites which disseminated this aggressive trait to it's offspring...
    Hyena pups try to kill each other even before they can see is an extreme example of aggressive behaviour patterns being passed on through the bloodline...

<quote>
    Some mammals sometimes commit siblicide for the purpose of gaining a larger portion of the parent's care. In spotted hyenas, pups of the same sex exhibit siblicide more often than male-female twins. Sex ratios may be manipulated in this way and the dominant status of a female and transmission of genes may be ensured through a son or daughter which inherits this solely, receiving much more parental nursing and decreased sexual competition.
    <end quote>
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siblicide
    Such is life...

8. Metalstorm1970

I was talking all gaming, and that's stats I've seen published multiple times in different places. Women are more likely to play MMOs and/or standalone puzzlers, but they still count as part of the population.

On the flipside, mansplaining about how they're so under-represented in FPS games does nothing to welcome them into more blokey spaces like FPS and RTS games. Doing so could be seen by some as an attempt to diminish their right to be here. I'm not trying to put those words in your mouth, but some would, and I'm not 100% sure it would be unfair of them to do so.

9. Dekay

Dekay Warframe Officer

Can we not have this discussion please

10. nietzsche

nietzsche Battlefield Leader

I don't think TOG FPS divisions are unfriendly to female gamers -- in fact I think we'd be more welcoming than most other clans would be. Highlighting how underrepresented they are shouldn't be seen as discouraging them. Facts are facts.

How many female FPS gamers do you know in TOG? I have played with 3 or 4. Blaze_au, bulletsponge, and there was one other female in Planetside 2.

Meanwhile during Battlefield 3-4 there have been literally 300+ male Battlefield players.

So when these women make a video saying "Is Battlefield sexist for not having female characters", I look around the FPS space and I don't see 50% women. I see 1%. So it doesn't shock me that game developers don't bother with female characters, particularly in a WW1 setting. Of course the guys that want to play as a woman miss out :D

11. viking

viking Retired Advisor

Like Heya :)

12. JGR

JGR Well-Known Member

No disrespect intended but...:D
    WTF???
    It has been my experience that guys go ape-shite over women FPS gamers...
    As I said above, it is my incredibly brilliant opinion that many women actively choose to hide their gender because of all the unsolicited extra attention they get...

IMO, which is worth it's weight in platinum :p, it is the over welcoming by randy males which is one of the real reasons some women rather not play domination type games...

Also, as stated elsewhere, women overall tend to be more nurturing in nature as a result of evolutionary influences/directives...

Can the truth be politically incorrect?
    Apparently...

Is it politically incorrect to point out the differences of both genders?
    I can't see it...
    Educate me if people think so...:cool:

13. Metalstorm1970

This thread started with a post about blokes feeling entitled to tell the ladies that they don't deserve to play the game with female avatars. If women want to play a game using an avatar that fits the gender identity, they should be able to. It's a game. It's a no-brainer to define the game as an "alt-reality" ret-conned to be more inclusive. While Battlefield has some history of historical accuracy, it's certainly never been realistic. I mean - who runs around a battlefield with a parachute on their backs all the time? And since when does a parachute automatically fold itself back up and be ready to deploy a second later. Likewise, how many soldiers get to pick and tailor their load-outs to the same degree as is possible in Battlefield? In real life, you get what you're given unless you're some kind of uber Tier 1 operator.

So... the argument about historical validity is no more valid than the argument that all Muslims are evil, or that all Jews are greedy. Stop being angry about shit that doesn't matter, and start getting angry that you've built all these boxes in your brains that are holding you back from experiencing a much more interesting and inclusive world. And most of all... remember that Battlefield is just a game and always will be.

14. AlphaGamma

AlphaGamma Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

JGR, as the OP you should keep the discussion in line with the premise of the video you posted.That includes anyone else who may not have watched it before posting.

The video is a response to an article and discussion that not having a female character option in BF1 is sexist.

Watch the video, then comment if you must or need.

It is not about female gamers in FPS in general, so avoid that area. Keep it on topic.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  15. JGR

JGR Well-Known Member

I am taking this as a general comment and not directed at me specifically...

IMO, the narrator is over the top...
    Typical neurotypical emotional response...
    What can you do?
    Can't force them into anger management...
    Can't neuter them...:D

I agree with pretty much everything you have said...

Regarding my point of view:

In this context there is no right or wrong, imo...
    It simply boils down to individual preferences and the less emotional amongst us are happy to agree to disagree...<shrug>

Personally I prefer the game to be more immersive/realistic in the way it looks...but not at the expense of F.U.N.!
    In a car racing game, for example, I would prefer not to have robotic camels in the care line-up...:D

I'll bet your left testicle that if there are female infantry, it will only be on the Russian side...but I wouldn't hold you breath...:D

16. Wacktool

Wacktool Just Joined

I have to agree. My old clan, the woman had masculine names to avoid the "males" from harassing them vs playing the game.

17. lazywolfy

lazywolfy Active Member

I dont care if the other player is a woman or a man...... I just care if they get my tags or not. Nuff said

18. The Omen

The Omen Retired Moderator

Keep the game real would not include women characters to choose......BUT this is a game and it wouldn't bother me one iota if you could pick a female character....geez most of the TOG guys that play are big girls anyways :)