Beginner's Guide to the TOG FTB/MindCrack Server (Mindcrack Server no longer used)

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Obsi, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

haha

If anyone finds a (ninja) turtle called "Donatello" - he could be mine.... I assumed he died as he disappeared one day, but I've never traveled with him, and I had him at my new place .. so I can't imagine he would be hiding anywhere.

2. Phlexor

Phlexor Active Member

3. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

Akirad0e
    Scorpion:
    Stabby - Deceased

4. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Yup, the registry is not a bad idea, but I wouldn't go overboard making any plans for anything until we know the future of the servers and division....

5. Phlexor

Phlexor Active Member

No use putting life on hold, just take one day at a time. Plus its no real trouble, can alter delete threads any time.

6. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

I have also seen items placed into a chest not actually make it if the chest screen is closed too quickly and end up on the ground instead. If there was extra lag and logging off happened during that period (and the chunk was not unloaded) then the items might expire.

7. marvelmanic

marvelmanic Retired Architect

Built a Nether Portal Recently?

Looks like someone just built a nether portal in a fortress, right beside a Blaze Spawn.
    It popped out right beside my Volcano.

Anyone's?

8. Gedarn

Gedarn Retired Captain

Shot all mine today.

9. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

What I suspect has happened here is as follows. This may also explain various other problems that have been reported.

Player X changes something in a chunk or places something in a chest, then logs out. FTB then regards that chunk as unoccupied and starts a countdown to ignore it. That countdown ends and its gets rid of the chunk out of its cache. The world later does its 10 minutes save based on the chunk which no longer has the chunk the player changed.

If this is infact what has happened, then it it is a classic example of the complexity of our server. The 10 minute save was to restrict the amount of I/O and is a common behaviour for other servers (from my observation). The chunk unloading is to help limit the RAM usage. Unfortunately the two may not have been in synch.

I have reset a few parameters with respect to the chunk unloading to help (hopefully) this reoccuring. However, they are in terms of ticks (ie. in game time) whereas the game saving is in terms of minutes (ie. real time).

Sorontar

10. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

There seem to be a lot of portals just appearing in the world that we cannot explain. Some of them may have been from players but there is little evidence of that in our server records. If you feel it is within your workspace/area of influence in the world, destroy it or relocate it.

However, please record the coordinates of both the Nether and Overworld gates as well as a timeframe of when you think they appeared and send them to the Admin team.

11. gasman

gasman Retired Captain

Ok - I'd better claim a setting now - Orange/Yellow

12. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

So if possible, if you're going to logout and you have some notice, place your items in a chest (if you don't want to leave them in your inv) and wait for the world save message to appear before logging out?

13. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Well, yes, if I am right, then that may help guarantee it but 10 minutes is a long time. Hopefully I have extended the number of ticks a chunk is kept active for until after a world save moment, so this shouldn't be required.

I have no idea how regularly the contents of enderchests/ender pouches are saved to file. I suspect that it is regularly, but that is just a suspicion.

Sorontar

14. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Player data is saved on logout. I don't know about Forge, but Bukkit and vanilla only save the player data when you log out, and at no other time, and I suspect Forge is no different. The Ender chests and pouches in FTB are world data, and are saved during world save.

15. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Isn't there automatically a world save (or at least a chunk save) whenever a chunk is unloaded? One would think that being a good time to save said chunk, irregardless of global world saves.

16. gasman

gasman Retired Captain

Looks like its down at the moment. Was really laggy about an hour ago, and I was the only one on. Can't get in at all now.

17. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

restarted

18. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

With all the mods and their config, who knows what is "standard".

19. OranjeJus

OranjeJus Freshly Squeezed Staff Member Moderator

Ore processing using factorisation?

So, in the early stages of a new game under Gregtech hard and in true-to-form fashion, a few recipes have gotten even harder than they were last time I was building the IC machines.

I've been intending on using Thermal Expansion instead of Industrial Craft in these very early stages as per usual (eg Pulverisor -> Powered Furnace) using hobbyist steam engines. I have also been thinking about what to do to expand the ore processing facilities once I start to outgrow my initial method. Usually I'd have gone to the IC stuff immediately, but with the increased costs etc, it hit me there is a possible intermediary step!

I 'think' I'd seen Scata (if it wasn't you, and was someone else I apologise to both of you for my memory heh) using factorisation ore processing to good effect (basically a 1:3 ratio instead of the usual 1:2, albeit at quite a slow rate in quite a complex set-up)

How many people have used factorisation to perform their ore processing? Anyone who has I would love some input on any pit-falls you encountered getting it all set up. I've been reading up on the basics about the machines needed and how to power them etc, but I'm mostly curious about any tips and tricks that will allow my setup to be as pain-free as possible.

- OJ

20. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

I was setting up a factorization factory before server was shut down. Using routers to push and pull out of the different factorization machines. One pitfall i found is the crystallizers are a pain to automatically fill. I used this video as inspiration.
    FTB MindcrackPack - E1 - Factorization Ore Process [FR-HD] - YouTube

Although it is in french you can get the general idea of it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.