Best 80's Arcade Game For Home Games Room?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by pastblast, Jun 14, 2016.

1. pastblast

pastblast Just Joined

I've cleared our spare room and have the green light from my other half to use it as a lads pad. In my eyes there are a few key boys toys that constitute a good games room. A pool table, large flat-screen and an 80's arcade machine are the three must haves on my checklist. I love a bit of pool and the room is decently enough sized to get a full-size pool table in without taking up all the room. A TV or projector is there for versatility as you can watch movies, live sport and play video games with your buddies. The 80's Arcade gamer would be there to bring some retro nostalgia to the setup. I have a few other bits on my checklist but those are the main three. I've got a bit of pondering to do with what screen to get and am keeping my eye out for some pool tables under the classified ads, the thing I want to focus on in the meantime is which arcade game to get and was hoping to get a bit of inspiration here.

I want something that's good both as single player and two player. There were so many addictive ones I played on during my childhood growing up in the 80's but I don't know which one would be best to play now we're all a little older. I've been trying to get hold of some emulators for my PC so I can try a few out to jog some memories. If anyone has a suggestion that might trigger a memory then that would be awesome! Its also getting hold of an old unit that's still up to scratch and plays well.

2. hoppy

hoppy Guardian Division Captain

Pastblast, with regards to what game, why stop at just one?

Google MAME and then google MAME roms and you will see that there are thousands of different games available.

Pacman, space invaders, galaga, galaxian, crush roller, juno first, donkey kong, commando, 1942, Scrambler, Moon Cresta and so on and so on.

This is a site that lists a lot of the games (Killer List of Videogames) Museum of the Game - Arcade, Videogame, Pinball Machine, Game, and Antique Coin-Operated History -- International Arcade Museum it may help you decide on which game(s) you would like to try.

3. pastblast

pastblast Just Joined

Thanks for your input, just checking the link you've given now.

4. pastblast

pastblast Just Joined

I have looked at MAME too as I see what you mean about having multiple games instead of just one. Guess it was just the fact that I wanted a cool retro arcade machine in the games room so was trying to think of the best game to get. I will probably set something up on the flatscreen too so we can play a lot of other retro games.

5. Tulgar

Tulgar Well-Known Member

I think Cartech spent a bit of time building his own arcade game machine a little while ago. Not sure how often he frequents TOG forums these days, but may be worth tracking down or posting too in the lounge to get some good traction?

6. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

If you're in Aus, check out aussiearcade.com. Otherwise there's arcadecontrols.com (should be up again soon) or arcademuseum.com.

Heaps of people have built or refurbished cabs for MAME, and undertaken all sorts of related projects. You can expect to spend between $500 and $1K to build/buy and set up a generic cab from scratch - screen, PC, joystick, buttons, speakers + miniature amp, cables for it all, old cab or new flatpack - and to sink about 50-200 hours in, depending on how much you need to learn. There's also artwork and decoration, and if you want to buy a dedicated and restored cab with a CRT in it, well, those start at about a grand and go up from there. No point buying a dedicated cab if you're going to want to mutilate it though.

Then there's setting up MAME, which is relatively simple for joystick games on an LCD, and gets way more complicated until you're looking at networked driving games with analog controls displaying on a genuine arcade tri-sync CRT, for example :)

7. vesacre

vesacre Well-Known Member

I used to love going into the arcades in the 80s to play games like tetris, defender, bubble bobble and boulderdash. Those were good times :)

8. myleftyarble

myleftyarble Just Joined

The Internet Archives might be helpful. You can play the games through your web browser –
    Arcades - Internet Arcade : Free Software : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    Atari 2600 - ARCHIVE.ORG Console Library: Atari 2600 : Free Software : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    MS-DOS - Software Library: MS-DOS Games : Free Software : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

9. Cap10mark

Cap10mark Just Joined

The 80's arcade. What great memories. Crazy Climber, Star Castle, Berzerk were just a few of my favorites. So many awesome games!

10. bestellen

bestellen Just Joined

I believe 79 to 83 was the Hayday for arcade games. The only really popular arcade games i remember before 79 was Space Invaders which came out in 78 and also Pong from the early 70s There were so many amazing arcade games from 79 to 83. The only popular arcade game i remember from 84 was Dragon's lair.

11. GavsteR

GavsteR Active Member

i have plenty of roms if you would like to try - ahem.
    GavsteR