Boo! Coming October 31st!

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Vonder, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

A vote would be a good idea. I don't mind a restart of course, my world is little more than a hole in the ground.

2. red_one

red_one Retired Captain

^^ this.

3. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

I'd love to have different environments. I was sick of everythign being so uniform so I was in the middle of buildign my own desert

I would however suggest maybe if we did restart we put together a founders kit or something for those that would be giving up alot of work (IF we decide to restart)

With things like a stack or two of obsidon a stack of diamond, stack of gold, 3 stacks of iron and coal. Perhalps even delayed till 1 week after restart so we could experience being a virgin community.

Question though is do we turn mobs on or not? (I vote YES)

And also do we turn on damage? (I vote NO)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. red_one

red_one Retired Captain

Of course we do.

5. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

I vote MOBS and DAMAGE.

Makes it worth actually crafting up mushroom soup etc...

Would let people focus on that kind of stuff and trade it for other resources.

6. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

yeah I know :( ... but some of us have put in an awful lot of time into our projects and aren't yet finished, and it would have been nice to at least have finished some of it before just deleting the world and starting over.

Well that would likely cure me of my minecraft addiction

7. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I would like to think that I could come back to the present world at some time (provided the update can still work with it). I have almost finished one major construction (my refuge) but I have many more planned. While they could be done on other worlds, they may be more relevant on the present one. I have no idea how much I'll get done by the end of the month.

As to mobs, I want all the animals so we can have cloth, etc. I would also like to be able to attack them, ie. not be forced to just set them on fire, which as NAM saw can make things worse. So Mobs - yes.

As to damage, I suspect that we will be having enough issues with torches running out etc. Let's start with no damage and decide a few weeks later whether we want to turn it on once we have established ourselves with lanterns etc. So damage - no.

8. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

I vote mobs and damage too, just to spice stuff up :twisted:

If you want your stuff nice and safe, you will need to design it that way ;)

9. Fate

Fate Well-Known Member

man i'd like to be there when this happens :p

10. red_one

red_one Retired Captain

I forsee a Creative server and a Survival server. Split. Ugh.

11. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

I definitely want mobs and damage. The game is called survival for a reason, and I have been looking forward to multiplayer including all the trappings of the single player version since I started playing this crazy game (all of what, two weeks ago?? :p).

Obsi, if the thought of mobs and damage on is painting a bleak picture for you, I think you might be imagining a worse scenario than it would be. Sure it will take a bit more effort to get a foothold, but once you have a walled off area that is lit you'll be safe to work uninterrupted.

I think the risk that will come with monsters and damage will only enhance the community feel of the game. We will work together to help our neighbours wall off their claims and then be able to go out on hunts to kill critters in groups so the risk of dying isn't so terrible.

12. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Some people want make a creative suburbia, not a competitive Fort Knox. I would be happy to work around mobs, but I have enough problems falling off things that I would be killed just from that. That contributes to why I say no to damage.

13. red_one

red_one Retired Captain

Yes.

14. Rakshala

Rakshala Active Member

Awesome news about the update!

I agree that since this is an alpha game we should have all been expecting to have all of our work disappear to make way for updates. Look at it as a zen experience, like a sand mandala.

I also agree that splitting the community is probably a bad idea at this early stage however I can also see there are two different styles of player here. One that wants mobs and damage, and the other who wants a peaceful place to built. If our community outgrows a single server (which I suspect it will) we should probably look into accommodating both styles of play.

Finally, if its possible, I would happily get behind an initiative to gift people who made huge complexes on the old server with a start-up kit as a thank you for all the hard work they put in before.

-Rak

15. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I'm obviously not the sort of person who would be interested in what the game is "supposed to" be.... since all these features they are bringing in that others want - I don't :)

I've played a day's worth of single player and didn't really get into it as much as I have in multiplayer - and while some of that is because of the fact there are other people to hang out with - a lot of it is because I find the gameplay more fun..... to me.... dying and having to trek back to where you died is a PITA, not being able to go where I like when I like (eg if you're caught outside in the dark at night you'll probably die) is a PITA... having to gather constant supplies to survive is a PITA and just not the sort of thing that interests me - which is why I don't play this sort of genre game...

I was attracted by the building (since I *ahem* quite like a spot of a sim/tycoon type game ;) - usually with infinite money cheats so I don't have to be constrained by the hassles of affording things)... but that's just what interests me. Plus...I'm afraid of the dark IRL - I don't need to be in game too :p

but that's fine... obviously I'm just not thinking of the game the same way others are, so when the changes come in - I'll probably just go play something else instead. If you start up a nice safe kiddy server, I'll probably hang out there :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  16. Foxman

Foxman in the hen house Staff Member Moderator

I'm really keen to see Biomes in place so while I'm utterly loathe to drop what I have built so far, I'm willing to have a crack at a fresh start.

I'm undecided on mobs/damage though. On one hand it adds an element of danger and risk which could be mostly fun while on the other, as Obsi says, it can be a royal pain in the ass when you just want to get stuck in and build something. I haven't touched SP since first trying the online mode, I find it dull now. The interesting aspect for me is the community and interaction with others. I don't need mobs and damage for that.

If I had to choose at the moment I'd say I'm probably leaning more towards the building side of it than the fighting/dying side.

But I absolutely do not want creative mode, I prefer the relative challenge of (mostly) limited resources. I think we'll need a good discussion about the options, maybe even look into the possibility of mods that can designate 'safe' zones? *shrug*

I don't want to see the community split but I'd also like us to try and accommodate the various preferences as best as possible.

17. Dr. Worm

Dr. Worm Active Member

Looks interesting, hope survival mode comes in for multiplayer. I can see it already we will build a town as a group and when night falls we will all get in boats and sit out in the water until the sunrises again :p

18. Vonder

Vonder Getting Started

That'll be fine right until Notch introduces sea monsters :p

19. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

I'm definitely all for mobs AND damage.

Turning both on will mean limited exploring and we will place much greater value on the areas we end up securing. This is a good thing as it will exponentially increase the lifespan of the community we create and will keep the game fun well after we have gotten our initial foothold. Look at what we have done in just a couple of weeks. Isn't it getting at all stale for any of you? While I like what we have accomplished and enjoy seeing the changes everyone has made, I've got to admit that I'm ready to move on. I much prefer survival mode over creative mode.

There is an argument that building any distance from the spawn and dying from fall or mob damage would be very frustrating. Not so! Just keep remembering to move your home spawn point to where you are working and you will have about 5 minutes to pick up any items and materials you dropped. It's only an issue if you don't move your spawn point or don't set temporary warp points. You'll need to plan a few things in advance like storing a chest near spawn with swords etc. I'm really looking forward to this!

20. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm the same.

Wonder if its possible to turn damage on as and indivdual flag? So those that want it can go damage and those of us that are carebears and want to design and build things can leave it off.

But I'd like mobs so we can harvest thigns like cloth etc.

Also that way when you DO want to say go have a dungeon crawl, you can turn it on and then turn it off later.