Boo! Coming October 31st!

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Vonder, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Of course what actually ends up in multiplayer and working by 31st Oct may be an entirely different thing.

I can see the viewpoint of those who may not want damage on. Single player can be a bit annoying, waiting out the night so you can go out and build again, or else having to constantly look behind you for creepers.

I'm somewhat amenable to a new map. While I wouldn't like to see the community split, I'd rather investigate options for running 2 styles of servers than completely lose people. Some might like to play on both depending upon the mood they're in anyway.

If the current server map is retired then could it be zipped up and made available for people to download and play with on their own. Obviously the copy being taken before Mixa is let loose.

2. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

I'm all for survival. Once damage is on I think the less artificial rules the better as gameplay might suffer.

Vanilla survival server would be my vote.

3. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Although I'd prefer survival I can understand both views.

I wouldn't have anything against a dual server solution.

4. exekewtable

exekewtable Well-Known Member

we can make a fence to keep the rabbits and dingoes out. works every time

5. Dr. Worm

Dr. Worm Active Member

We can always back the current server and our maps files and if we ever want to go back for a night I'm sure it wouldn't be to much of a problem. Like most of you i have put a lot of effort into the work i have done, but it is getting a bit stale and would like to see something different, however i don't want to loose my work.

the idea of working more like a community is appealing in survival mode. But thats if it is bought into this patch. I think we should look at a few other servers running the new update before a vote and decision is made.

6. Non Action Man

Non Action Man Retired Captain

here exe, i fixed that for you :p

Its obvious that there has been a LOT of work gone into the current map. Can we do something like this night is survival and this other night is free build - continuation of current map?

Oh, and what is a biomes?

NAM

7. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

Different environments - snow, deserts etc...

I think its been said before, but the game is still Alpha, so this means a lot can change before the final version. So you need to prepare yourself for losing all your work, if the developer decides to totally rewrite the map engine for example. Either that or we all play on an aged old alpha version forever and put up with the bugs and no new fancy things...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  8. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

knowing we're probably doing to ditch everything at the end of the month has put a real downer to it all.... I was going to put an extension on my castle - but now I won't bother.... last night Manuzza and I went exploring and I found a fantastic area I want to build in, but then I'm not going to be able to actually get to see that finished either.... so I have to wonder if there is any point starting something new now......and we made another obsidian mining cave - but even that seems kinda pointless if we're going to move on before I've even had a chance to mine it enough to get enough obsidian to do anything with....and wouldn't have a chance to do much with it anyway even if I did.... :(

yes yes.... it's in alpha and stuff changes... I'm a stubborn Taurus.... we don't like change :รพ

9. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I like the idea of either having multiple servers, or having creative days of the week and survival days of the week. Prior to this announcement, someone suggested that Saturday nights should be destruction derby with a copy of the present world (ie. anyone can do anything to anywhere for one night, then the copy is deleted). If that works well, perhaps it might indicate that we are happy to alternate between gameplays.

Sorontar

10. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

We've only been in this world for two weeks. We still have at least another four weeks before the update comes out. I'd say go for it and take screen shots or videos. :D

11. Dr. Worm

Dr. Worm Active Member

Wouldn't mind taking some video shots and creating a TOG video of the creations made and the efforts put in by the players.

There is some really good stuff around like Fox castle, Crimes Sword, spawn village and vonders dome and much much more.

ATM I like many others have there own projects to finish, but before the end (if it comes to that) of the current map I'd like to make this video. just need a good FPS recorder if anyone has any suggestions.

or help out in anyway :p

12. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

fraps.com

13. Vonder

Vonder Getting Started

I'd rather the dome be left out, too incomplete to be shown. I'm going to rebuild it once we have the new map.

14. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

I tested Fraps the other day and it did a really good job of video with sound as well as screen shots.

15. Thermal Ions

The thing is,

1. do we want / need to immediately jump onto the new version before it's had a week or so to settle down considering there's quite a bit of stuff changed, and
    2. it would likely require hey0 to update his admin mod before we could update anyway, and
    3. how much of it will be implemented in multiplayer.
    I've tweeted (is that the right word) Notch to seek clarification (assuming I did it right - being a twitter noob) on number 3. Will post back if he responds.

While it's nice to consider and discuss what's coming I don't think we should pre-empt and make firm decisions on what we'll do come 31 Oct on the strength of a list of intended upgrades which may / maynot make the holiday focussed patch deadline.

16. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

That said, Thermal, these are things we are going to have to discuss anyway. Alpha will not stay in it's current state, and from the way Notch pushes out updates it will not be possible to use an old version unless we get an old hacked or cracked version for the server and likely the clients too.

I think it looks very much like we are going to end up with solid demand for two different, incompatible playstyles. This means a community split, which is sad, but not as poo as forcing everyone to play under a ruleset that appeals only to the majority.

17. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Coming from EVE I don't see it as a major problem to split up into two servers. In EVE we have styles varying from the cariest of carebears to the most badass pvpers and they could never coexist in the same corporation. But the EVE community still works and everyone is talking to eachother even though they have different playstyles.

18. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I personally think we could make 2 servers work.... so long as there isn't an "us and them" type feeling - like considering the people who just want to play in peace to be "carebears" and the ones using the zombified version to be the "proper" players...

if many of us are all chatting away in mumble together - we're still interacting, even if we are on different servers - it's not much different to when we're all out at our own places anyway.... and if someone finds something interesting or wants to show something off or go visit someone, all the other person has to do is reconnect in that map go have a look, and then they can go back to what they were doing if they want - we've all experienced enough crashes that we're used to reconnecting multiple times a session anyway :p there would be just the slight inconvenience of disconnecting and reconnecting before typing in the warp code.

(though I can just imagine a "hey Obsi, come check out <this cool thing>" - so I connect, teleport in... and find myself standing in the middle of a pit of angry zombies or something...)

It would be very cool if we can arrange it so it's daytime in one server when night in the other ;) Then we can switch between them to avoid the night :D

I was waiting to catch you on, but I haven't seen you about - I think there may have been a flaw to the gravel plan anyway.... you can't hollow it out because it doesn't support itself...

Pity the game doesn't generate a map you could click on to go to that location - you could find an appropriate sized island and build around that to save yourself some of the filling in.

Thermal Ions likes this.
  19. Thermal Ions

Now there's thinking outside of the box. :cool:

20. Yvnu

Yvnu Retired Captain

Finite torches? Crap!

Don't they keep saying, don't get attached to your current maps?