Boo! Coming October 31st!

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Vonder, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

I would suggest that if we port the current work over, we do that to the no-monsters, no-damage server. That is if we still plan to run two servers?

I'm still happy to provide funding!

2. wizen

wizen Active Member

Mine is, most definitely. wizen.collector.

3. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

mine can me made defensible by building a 6 x 6 little safety room and hiding it that overnight. orrrr I might hide in one of the big castles I see everywhere :)

4. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I would just have to escape to the airship and destroy the gangplank. I suspect I would be too far for anything to reach the wooden hull.

5. Bazz

Bazz Retired Captain

I'd be safe.

6. wizen

wizen Active Member

I second this, as well as the funding bit.

It makes me kind of sad that I'd be losing the work I've done so far, but there are those who have done far more and are still willing to switch, so I guess I have no platform from which to complain.

7. exekewtable

exekewtable Well-Known Member

we are capable of running two servers. just a matter of admin effort

8. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Or just hold down SHIFT key as you build and you shouldn't fall. :D

9. Optical Array

Optical Array Getting Started

Many Things...

First, I agree with those few people who have accomplished amazing things. Personally though, I just finished my main mining shaft, and so I have little to do now, since I don't find that much enjoyment in just repeating what I've already done, if it's still there, and I have little imagination, so that doesn't help.

So I'm up for a server restart, but I don't like the idea of 2 servers, especially since I'm halfway between full on rpg-type gaming, and construction / sandbox gaming.

I have an idea to bypass the split-server. I am 99% sure that it is impossible though. I was thinking of perhaps we could construct a Great Wall, that was perfectly straight, that ran throughout the whole of the map. Except one one side, damage and mobs was turned on, yet on the other side, it isn't. And perhaps the furthest you go from the wall (on the 'dangerous' side) the more dangerous it gets.

However, that is most likely impossible, so I would prefer going for a easy difficulty if we turn mobs and damage on, and I don't mind the mobs. But with damage, I'm more partial to having it turned off.
    Two words to explain it: FALL DAMAGE!!

So I prefer damage off, but mobs on. So the mobs will be more annoying than anything else. And without damage, I would like the hardest setting on, so there's more monsters.

As for Obsi's post about tycoon games (and the cheating in them)...

GO OBSI!!!:D

10. Vonder

Vonder Getting Started

The problem with having damage turned off is that A, some players want it on, and B, Creepers can still explode and do damage to your build regardless of damage.

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

I think the problem comes down to this:

Since this game is still in Alpha (and a very earlier alpha at that), the developer(s) have not finished adding the main stuff for the game, so we have created our own game with this unfinished/buggy software. When the developer(s) add more and fix more it will change the way our game was (as the boo update will prove)...

I enjoy playing on the peaceful TOG server and helping people out, while doing my own "little" projects... but I think I will also enjoy the "correct" game with the surival aspect...

Either way it'll be fun with you lot :D

12. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

ok...well..... does anyone know if it is possible to customise some of the play options at all....

Is there a way to have a sort of god mode thing happening, so some users can have damage on and some don't have to? is there the option to turn off the creepers but leave the other mobs on? and is there an option to make it so you don't drop your inventory when you die?

Since those are the main things I think we're going to have problems with (with the player preferences for survival mode vs how it is now)

13. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Presently the only option seems to be "monsters = false" (never tried setting this to true), so it all depends upon whether Notch adds these options, or someone writes something to inject the necessary code to do so (which likely depends once again on exactly how much of the proposed changes make it into the multiplayer relatively bug free).

14. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

oh no now we need a vanilla survival server, a damage off server and a some other options off server!

15. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Technically if you want to only build with a minimum of hassle, wouldn't a minecraft classic server be the best? Instead you try to make minecraft alpha into minecraft classic by turning off everything that makes it alpha ;)

16. Crimetank

Crimetank Getting Started

3 quotes from Notch's twitter:

You can save a map's seed value to restart it with biomes.:
    MaideHoN: "If we save our seed value, and regenerate the map otherwise, do we get our current map terrain + biome weather?"
    Notch: "yes. :)" (Oct 16)

Health system in multiplayer is not ready yet:
    WhiteRAZOR: "is the health system working yet though?"
    Notch: "kind of.. it needs work." (Oct 16)

Health and PvP may still not work after the update.:
    murpo: "Will PVP and health be enabled in survivial multiplayer."
    Notch: "i don't dare promising it!" (Oct 16)

17. Spice.

Spice. Retired Captain

But that just regenerates the terrain we have, not our buildings? I'm not sure how the save structure works.
    Also no damage makes me a sad panda. Not much point in new monsters and other parts of the update if we can't kill them.

18. Crimetank

Crimetank Getting Started

Agreed, the discussion on starting a new server kind of hinges on the idea of player/mob damage.

Without it, I don't think restarting just for biomes is worth it.

How does the game distinguish between terrain and building? as far as the server is aware, they are all blocks.

Unless of course its referring to the unaltered map we begin with, and the areas explored from there.

19. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I recommend that we don't change any of our system/server for one week after the Boo update. That way we can see what Notch is *really* throwing at us and debate it with more information than the flimsy stuff we have now. We still aren't sure what will be in multiplayer and what will be in the single player version. I think we should just wait and see. We can still build and explore with what we have. Hopefully our system isn't going to crash if it isn't updated right away.

20. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I agree with this!