Borderlands is no longer available...

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Manuzza, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

Names changed to protect the innocent but yeah, that's just what I did. After stopping to look at the DJ Hero Video.

2. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

I suspect the real reason is that GamersGate are such an insignificant player in the digital distribution game that 2K Australia have forgotten they are selling it.

3. elusiver

elusiver Well-Known Member

u can't spell victorious without the victori(a)...

if there is any gouging goin on its definately higher up the food chain.

i know with ski gear.. the australian disties for some of the bigger brands have to put in and pay for their orders about about 6 months in advance(at the start of the US ski season proceeding it)... which meant in the 2008 aussie ski season the price difference between aus and us gear was massive, because the aussies disties had paid for it when the dollar was alot weaker. Maybe there's something like that going on here... or... maybe someones just making a killing.

Don't forget to there are other costs involved with retail games, disc's, packaging, transport. But still... not for that much of a price difference.

el :)

4. Spiggy

Spiggy Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, if anyone can wait 4-5 days for it you can get it for $42 AUD with free delivery here

5. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Back on Steam, but the price has gone up.

Borderlands Gets Aussie Price Rise On Steam | Kotaku Australia

6. elusiver

elusiver Well-Known Member

u can't spell victorious without the victori(a)...
    lol... case closed. feel sorry for manutz...

el :)

7. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

It is actually listed at US$80 and following the link on the Steam store still brings you to a "Not available in your region" error.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. Manuzza

Manuzza Well-Known Member

It is a done deal - I will NOT be buying Borderlands.

It was $50US and now $80US - there is ZERO DIFFERENCE in the distribution model between the US and AUS so the extra $30 is additional profit - nothing more and nothing less. I mean, if they are going to charge us a special and different price specifically for our region it SHOULD be in AUS dollars! But instead it is in US dollars and THEN we have to pay the exchange rate above that!

Additionally, for the less money I can buy a retail box. For less money I get a physical product that has been manufactured on one side of the world, stored in warehouses, shipped over oceans, stored in more warehouses, delivered to distributors, delivered to stores, placed on shelves and then sold to me, and every step of that process involves costs and profit taken from the total purchase price.

And for those who are so inclined, there is a buge difference in the carbon produced by the two distribution models.

The retail box means that I do not have to download the game. But the Steam version means I do not have to find the damn CD whenever I want to play the game, I do not have additional "stuff" (the box and CD) that I have to find somewhere to store/keep, and I never have to patch the game as it is always and automatically patched.

Lastly, I can only assume that the boxed version will not have the same access to Steam Friends, and seeing as I always game with Toggers and not randoms I am simply not interested in the boxed version.

No Borderlands for me, just because I went to buy about 4 hours too late!

Manuzza

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. Spiggy

Spiggy Well-Known Member

I believe you can install the boxed version and register it with your steam client and it will work as normal. I did this ages ago when I purchased Half Life before I had Steam, once I had Steam installed it identified I had a registered version and ever since has kept it on my steam games list and allows me to d/l etc. and play without the disk. I'm hoping the same will be true when my copy of Borderlands which I ordered today for $42 from CD-WOW comes. I'll let you know.

10. Manuzza

Wow indeed.

For LESS THAN HALF PRICE I also get that expensive list of things I mentioned in the post below. How the hell does that work?

This price disparity is so bad I am actually thinking about contacting ACCC!

Manuzza.

11. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Retail Borderlands can not be activated on Steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

I wouldn't bother Manuzza. CD-WOW aren't an Australian company (product is shipped out of Hong Kong) and the stock you receive is not produced for the Australian market. Mostly it is produced for either the UK or continental Asia. The ACCC would have no jurisdiction.

12. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Yeah thats a bit crazy. If they were going to make it rise to be comparable they should have it in local currency for sure.

13. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

The Steam version of Borderlands doesn't have any special integration with Steam Friends or anything similar - you can still create a shortcut within the Steam client to a retail version of Borderlands and use the Steam overlay, Steam Friends, etc. For Borderlands games, it uses its own internal/Gamespy system (yes, even the Steam version does).

As for the rest - yeah, it's price gouging by 2K obviously. "Briefly"? Try weeks and weeks and weeks... What, next 2K will have us believe they were totally unaware of the pricing? BS.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  14. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

What get's me is the blatant bullsh#t from the retailers...

The Aussie dollar performs, most other trades see savings (see computer parts for an example of this).

Software? Games have been around the 50 USD mark for A or higher rated titles for a very long time and Aus has been around 80-90, which was understandable when the dollar was at 60 cents.

But digital delivery, particularly across Steam, is almost cost free. Hell, most of my Steam content comes from my ISP or other Aus steam mirrors. Steam doesn't pay for the bandwidth. There is no DVD, no packaging, no manual. No shipping costs, no retail margin beyond what Steam applies. And yet we're supposed to care about the poor local providers who aren't going to compete???

Sorry for the rant but this chaps my ass. I recall trying to buy the 2142 expansion from the EA online delivery system, I got gated to the Aus one where the cost was ~80 aud, but the US EA site had it for 20 USD... This situation is even more ridiculous. Game pricing should be uniform world wide, not arbitrarily set depending on ancient dollar values that are no longer relevant...

Great thing I already got a 4 pack at the princely sum of 39 AUD per copy amongst 4 people.

15. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

I wonder if the "internal error" at 2K is now looking for alternate employment?

16. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

The question Asmodai is whether it's the Australian retailers or the publisher who are pocketing the benefit of a strong Aussie dollar. Not a question I know the answer to. Doesn't stop me from feeling ripped of at retail - I just don't know who I should be *really* blaming.

17. Manuzza

I just posted this to 2k here: pr@2kgames.com

I will let you know if there is any kind of response.

Manuzza

18. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

Please do. I'll be waiting with baited breath. no sarcasm.

My, my isn't the gaming scene becoming so political lately. And so many letters being written. Tog is gonna need a Petition Division soon.

19. Spiggy

Spiggy Well-Known Member

And if I'm saving over $40 on the purchase price, having to stick then CD in the drive is an inconvenience I'm prepared to live with. :)

20. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

Well Borderlands is now $80US for Australian's. I'm going to start using Proxies to buy games as this is ridiculous. You can pay less in Australia for a boxed version that looks quite nifty sitting on your shelf.

It costs publishers 3 shades of stuff all to have their game coming through Steam.

They don't need to pay for discs, cases, boxes and case sleeves.
    They don't need to pay for the boxes, discs, sleeves and manuals printing.
    They don't need to pay for freight, warehouse storage and losses through damage, misplacing and the inevitable over quota that gets thrown away.

Though for some bizzare reason... They DO feel the need to overcharge Australian's via Steam for a product that is costing them significantly less to produce.

And they wonder why people just steal their games?