Borderlands is no longer available...

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Manuzza, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Very poor from 2K

2. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

/VPN

3. elusiver

elusiver Well-Known Member

u can't spell victorious without the victori(a)...
    tbh i think it has alot more to do with the console game prices... the US version of the Xbox 360 game is US$50 at EB, so the steam US PC version price makes sense... The aussie version on xbox 360 has a normal price of $100(but currently on sale at eb's for $80)... it's gotto be the aussie distrbutors thinking "hey.. we can sell the console version for $100... and people will buy it... but we can't have the PC version for $50, cause people will start asking questions, so lets up the price of the PC version(as opposed to lowering the consoles price). "

I can tell u it's DEFINATELY NOT the retailers gouging... as i know what it comes in at and tbh they're making stuff all when u take into account all the overheads...

So... to summerise...
    The aus console market is miniscule compare to the US, so we pay a higher price simply because there's nowhere near the same volume of sales. And our PC game prices are adjusted to come into line with our console version prices.

my 2c.

el :)

4. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

I definitely know it's not the retail stores gouging. It's the Publishers gouging the Wholesale price. They seem to believe that Australians are capable of paying double of what the US and UK pay for their games. Now to your average Joe, this seems quite acceptable and they suck it down, no questions asked.

What I don't understand is why Valve are allowing the Publishers to bend their arms, essentially forcing them to charge prices that Australians just will not pay on Steam? It sits there as fodder that the Aussie masses won't touch with a barge pole. This equals loss of profits for Valve and loss of profit for publishers on Oz Steam.

I assume Valve would take maybe 10% of the profits. Which would equal 90% back to the publisher. Compared to boxed versions where the margin would be more like 30-40% profit when you count all the costs involved.

These of course are assumptions. The one thing that is guaranteed is that Valve are losing sales in regions like Australia because of the Publishers throwing demands on them to change prices. But hey, it's their choice, and their loss in the end isn't it?

One thing that will be interesting. The Aussie dollar is looking like it may be rising to as high as $1.20 against the US next year. If that happens, will companies like Activision be demanding the price go up to $110US for Aussie Steam customers?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Yeah just noticed the US$79.99 price tag...wtf...most of us bought the game for half that price...how can this be justified?

6. barfarina

barfarina Active Member

That isn't even mentioning that with a retail copy (physical copy) you can actually sell your copy at a later date when you feel you've had enough. Let's forget for a second that, while PC second-hand copies aren't worth THAT much compared to their console equivalents, it's still some return on your investment - if you get my meaning.

I'm prepared to suffer the inability to sell-on my purchase at a later date if the original price is right for digitally distributed software - something i'm not prepared to do when we're paying identical or similar prices regardless of my purchase being physical or 'virtual'. The whole thing is screwed up.

7. barfarina

barfarina Active Member

While i'm sure that the fault is not *completely* at the hands of retail, i can't see what you're saying is 100% of the story based on the disparity between retail chain prices. If that was the case we would see a far more uniform retail sector, but what we have is nothing like that. Why is it that EB finds that the $100-120 price bracket appealing, but stores like JB hardly ever push above $100 (still a rip-off - i would never pay above $80 under ANY circumstances)?

And what about the 'price-match' promise bs? Most retailers that do this are trying to make a quick buck from those who are either not as savvy, clued-up or informed as alot of the population. If they were really that concerned about 'fair pricing' they would be honest in the first place and offer decent prices - not ticket at $120 and put a "$20 off" sticker on the box claiming some amazing deal. It pisses me off, and it's obvious that there are others. Game sellers aren't the only culprits, but it's when EB is compared to HN that you can see the similarities are quite evident. Profit based on ambivalence on the part of their shoppers.

Yes they're in the market to make money, but misleading customers is unethical in my book, and they're doing it with little thought to anything except their share-holders and their bottom-lines.

Let's not forget that stores that dabble in second-hand have been quite vocal about how most of their interactive entertainment profits coming from second-hand retailing. If they can break-even or even take a small hit selling even their less-popular software (obviously they make more from big-sellers), they can make it back again in spades when the enevitable trade-in comes along soon after. In either case, again we see a rather large disparity between chains. Anyone that purchases second-hand games at $105 from EB deserves little compassion from me at least - there's certainly no excuse for that kind of rort.

Sorry if i sound like i'm having a go at what you're saying lucy (as i'm not trying to), but this stuff is one of the big wrongs with the world as far as i'm concerned and i'm PASSIONATE about it! When I worked at GAME in the UK, this was exactly what was happening over there, except on a higher level at the time. I actually refused to participate in some of their more shady practices (i didn't say i worked there that long... :p), due to this kind of stuff - not that it affected my sales which were consistently higher regardless of my having morals. Well, at least they're starting to sort it out somewhat, where as we're not. It's not good enough.

Console gamers are such slick-advertising-driven hype-whores.... What they're doing to gaming makes me a sad panda. :(

8. Bugsquash

Bugsquash Well-Known Member

It is all about perception. The retailers charge what the market will and can afford to pay. It is basic economic theory.

9. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Its like those mobile phone plans that give you $300 worth of calls for $30/month. All they really did was jack up the call costs like crazy so if you go a little over you pay heaps more comparatively. They didn't give anybody anything, they just switched sales tactics to line their pockets. ;)

[edit]
    Not blaming Steam btw, I'm pretty sure this was the Publishers call and Steam is just a distribution method.

10. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

It's just 2k trying to get people to buy the console version by having price-parity.

I'm guessing 2k saw the stats showing steam as being the primary source of PC sales and freaked out.

11. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Its just the price increase, and the blatant lie (it was a "pricing error") that irked me

12. Harry Reems

I seriously doubt that the sales on Steam will be as high for 2K games in the future if this is the route they go. Australians can buy the game far cheaper through other avenues such as Ebay and Online stores both here and overseas.

You'd have to be a fool to pay the $80US price tag when you can buy it from Dungeon Crawl for $50 + $9 postage

Borderlands PC Game BRAND NEW - eBay, PC, Games, Video Games. (end time 03-Dec-09 15:03:40 AEDST)

13. Mighty Brush

I'd never have got the game if it wasn't $40 or whatever on pre-order.

Definitely not worth $80.

But, never expect logic and proper pricing from a publisher.

14. Harry Reems

LOL true! Greed seems to get in the way of logic when it comes to big business.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Same here, I was looking at a selection of titles and a big part of the reason borderlands won was the former competitive Steam pricing.

16. Mighty Brush

The thing is, they'll make less money than if they sold it cheaper.

People who understand digital distribution realise it's about enabling the "whim" purchase - pricing it such that people thing "ahh... what the hell it's only $x".

Before steam pricing I NEVER paid for any games - now I buy lots and spend waaaaaay more :p

Snott likes this.
  17. Harry Reems

The same here. I rarely bought games. I would just borrow them off friends, etc. Since Steam became the juggernaut it is today, I have been buying games through it regularly.

Though this may change as I blatantly refuse to pay more than $50 US for a game on there. Oh well it's the publisher's loss, not mine.

18. Mighty Brush

Ditto, I always just played the *ahem* demo...

Although, I recently did buy Dragon Age for like 67 US - but then, that has more than enough content to justify it - Borderlands to me struggled to be worth the $40, let alone $80.

19. Harry Reems

Borderlands wasn't too bad. At least it lasted longer than 5 hours. I will admit that the appeal wore off pretty fast after the first run through. Though I do find myself sneaking in there every now and then to level my Soldier. Plus will likely make a return once the DLC comes out.

20. elusiver

elusiver Well-Known Member

u can't spell victorious without the victori(a)...
    yeah.. i prolly wouldn't have bought it at $80.. i wouldn't have bought it at $60(which is the price i woulda got for at work)... but for $40... steal. anything more then that would've been hard to get past the bank manager.

el :)