Borderlands is no longer available...

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Manuzza, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

Seriously though, we use a lot of euphemisms for piracy but how many people aren't going to sink cash on a good game when it's appropriately priced?

eg. Dragon Age, got it on Steam, B'lands 4 pack back when it was reasonable, got it.

MW2? F#ck no... 89 USD over Steam is a few bridges too far for me...

For console titles, I just go overseas to Play-Asia. Picked up 350 bucks worth of games for 190 and they should be here tomorrow. Why get gouged by local retailers when I can wait a couple of days and save over a 3rd off the price??

I honestly think sometimes that game producers are trying to promote the death of PC gaming (which seems to be resisting their efforts to some extent) with their shenanigans... If I had only just seen B'lands at the current price I probably would have d'loaded it to have a look whether I'd bother. Having played it, I know that I wouldn't have bothered at this price...

2. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

And look at that. Straight from the Aussie customers mouths. Now if only the publishers would listen :)

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I really don't think its steam thats setting it that high, they just distribute it so its the publishers you have to convince. I'm going to be quite happy continuing to purchase "respectably priced" media from steam, and the rest of the cost hiking crap can rot until they do a 50-75% off sale. :p

4. bork

bork Getting Started

5. Harry Reems

Someone should beat all other Publishers over the head.

6. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

Who'da thunk it, you treat the customer well and it encourages them to support you with their purchases...

*grin*

7. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

8. Harry Reems

Valve have been doing that since the outset. Look at Half-Life. Great game, okay deathmatch. What do they do? They buy up the Team Fortress guys and build TFC as a free patch add-on. Thousands, upon thousands of people buy Half-Life just to play TFC. Counter-Strike comes out and is a MASSIVE success. They hire the guys who made it, put support behind it and sell a gazillion more copies of Half-Life (and the boxed copies of CS). All the while still keeping CS as a free download!

You'd think that Devs and Pubs would've actually stood up and taken notice of this, and the amazing success that Valve have had because of it? No they didn't! Which really is quite strange indeed.

The only other game I can think of that has had as much success due to modding would be the Sims Series. EA would generally have tried to stop this kind of thing. Though they just ran with it by releasing 999 million expansions and add-on packs.

9. Firebrand

Related but not related was the story of Joss Whedon during the writers strike last year (or so).
    He wanted to prove a business model of using the internet, as opposed to fighting it, was a viable option. Short story is he made a 3-part show that played for free on the internet, Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. A (relatively) small investment of his own money to produce a low budget feature and given out for free to view. He made a squillion, strengthened his fanbase and more than proved his point.
    A sequel is planned and the only decision now is will it be low budget or big budget. The Dvd sales from the free feature alone could fund the big-budget effort.

Take what you will from that story.

10. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Man, I just noticed the new price for BL on Steam. That's seriously mental. The gaming industry seems to be moving in the opposite direction that common sense would suggest.

It's exactly this kind of shit that encourages piracy. $40? What the hell, I can justify that expense. $80? Whoa ok, that's USD too... I think I better find a torrent for that before I fork over my hard earned monies.

I don't mind being straight up about it. I download torrents for games I'm not sure I'll like. If I'm still playing it after 4 hours I buy it. If I'm not, I delete it. I believe in supporting the industry and if you saw my collection of originals you couldn't possibly think otherwise. I've purchased four full priced titles in the last month (Mrs Kace doesn't know this, but hey, she doesn't read these forums either... :) ).

But I am equally sure there are plenty of people out there who don't buy after 'trying'. Piracy is not going to just go away. The publishers need to find ways of encouraging gamers to purchase their products. Not put them off with ridiculous price hikes and shoddy releases.

$50USD is the most I'll pay for a game too. A full priced game has historically been $80-110 in local currency for me (coming from NZ and now living in Aus). I'm earning strong Aussie dollars at the moment, and I expect for that to mean that I am paying less for imported goods. ESPECIALLY digitally distributed goods! Yes, I'm sure development costs have gone up over the years, but so has the number of people playing and buying games. It is obviously still profitable to release a AAA game for $50USD or companies wouldn't be doing it. I was blown away at the price of MW2, and that was obvious price gouging just because of the forecast success of the game. And what gets me about that is that they ****ed it over for the PC gamers but despite all the bitching and moaning, everyone still lapped it up! And Activision knew they would, knew they could get away with it.

Disgusting. And all the more reason to develop an addiction to indie games. Dwarf Fortress will always be there for me, and I'll continue to donate to it voluntarily. :)

11. Firebrand

I didn't know if I was going to get BL. But a friend already did and he wanted me to have it. I convinced him to bottle the files and bring them over. My concern was if my pc would run it. I dropped the files and he logged in to his own Steam id. Lo and Behold, my machine ran it and it looked good.

Price being what it was I didn't think much on it, especially as I had rounded up some like minded dudes for a pack.(I didn't wait I just bought it. I knew I'd have takers)

That was my try before buy, but if that were to happen at this late time... umm, second and third thoughts and hedging and carring on. Actually I'd probably be spending more time in l4d2. That never went astray.

12. elusiver

elusiver Well-Known Member

u can't spell victorious without the victori(a)...
    anyone reckon there'll be a difference in price between us an the states for the DLC???

el :)

13. Harry Reems

I wouldn't put it past them...

$10 there
    $20 here

14. Firebrand

*FACEPALM*

And I was so lookin' forward to just grabbing it. Not contemplating the political ramifications.

15. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Never did get a response from 2K on availability in Australia of DLC via Steam - unless you count the automated response system emails from 2 of the 3 emails addresses I sent to which promised to respond within 72 hours. Of course they may just be busy, which is why it's taken them 272 hours and counting...

16. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Funny how "publishers" are really bad at telling potential customers when/where they'll be, err, publishing something.

It's not like they're in the publishing business or... wait a minute...

Reoh likes this.
  17. Thermal Ions

Well what do you know, a real person has finally answered my email - only took 20 days (that's some overseas lag):

Now to sit down for another 20 day wait.

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Well Thermal, both the game and DLC are available again now in Australia (with steam), with a 30% markup compared against the rest of the world through Steam.

LOLs at them just looking into it now when its already released and put up and they just don't know.

19. Firebrand

Yeah, so much for prompt replies.

20. Thermal Ions

And they're now going to get a further query regarding DLC pricing and SecureROM before my money gets spent. :evil: