City of Heroes goes hybrid

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Sente, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Sente

Sente Active Member

City of Heroes will change name to City of Heroes: Freedom and adopt a hybrid payment model, with the next issue, Issue 21.

The play-for-free option includes fewer character slots and archetypes to choose from, as well as some content-gating plus limits for auction house and mail - with some parts being purchasable.

Returning players will keep rewards they have earned in the past or things they have bought, even if they play for free.

Player Choices | City of Heroes

2. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Just noticed the FTP model doesn't allow you to even join a super group. Pretty much rules out any chance of me playing the game.

3. neimad

neimad Well-Known Member

CoH was my first subbed MMOG after a couple of free runs on Lineage 2 and the SWG beta. Definitely worth spending some time back in Paragon City :)

4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Ahhh Icetacular, wonder how you're doing old friend.

5. Sente

Sente Active Member

In practice I would say communities are often formed using private global chat channels rather than explicit super groups, unless you want to build and maintain a base.

6. Konon

Konon Just Joined

This is good for the old time players that just want to log in and visit paragon once in a while. My wife and I both played COH...thats actually where we met. I would be interested to see what this will do to the game

7. roob

roob Retired Captain

may have to check it out again one day ;)

The Task Force mission on Striga Isle is still up there as one of the best experiences i have had in any MMO.

8. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

someday after I get the new HHD installed and formatted, I'll play this again, just waiting on $ saved to get a new DVD player so I can format.

I wasn't too sure if I wanted to start a free account, till after I read this
    So all I really need to do is get a new PW for my old account, if I read that correctly.

Yeah, the F2P account not able to join a SG wasn't a welcoming site. but it's true about the Sente sez, unfortunately , F2P don't get Global chat from what I saw, Just Local and team :?
    I did not look into how much a Player would need to spend just to become a Premium account, I'm sure it'll not be that much.
    But I'll open my account fer sure:D as a Premium if I understood correctly.

9. Sente

Sente Active Member

Imfir, an old account will become premium directly. A new account that spends any amount of money will become a premium player.

And if you are a premium player you can join super groups and chat in SG and coalition chat channels.

I would definitely recommend to reactivate any old account you may have when the time comes.

10. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

I am a bit confused tho, I logged into my account to check the status, it is listed as "Not playable"
    thought it would at least show Premium. guess you can't comeback as free Premium, you would still need to buy something :(
    would rather use my old account , and the characters already created.

Oh I think if I find the box, there is still a code for 30 days that I could use, but I think I would still need a valid CC, something I don't carry or use any more

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  11. Sente

Sente Active Member

The hybrid model is not in place yet, it will be that when they release Issue 21. So you just have to be patient for a while, unless you want to subscribe.

12. Mind Rott

Mind Rott Well-Known Member

I think I'll revisit Paragon City. CoH was one of my favorites. :)

13. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

Oh when I was reading it I got the impression it had started this month already . . see what lack of sleep does

I just cannot recall if any , if I unlocked any extra slots.

I was going back to some old post I had in the Booth, totally forgotten I had started a Theme SG.
    looks like I'll get to play with 8 character slots, but then they kept talking about 2 slots . . So I dunno. It's not to far off getting the HDD Formated so I should be able to download soon. ( that's soon like in a month or so)

wish I remember which server that was I was running with you a few times Mind Rott

14. Sente

Sente Active Member

You pretty much unlocked one slot for each year you had been a subscriber, so if you are a premium player you would have 2 slots + extra slots given for each year of subscription pretty much. That is also two slots in total, not per server.

15. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

still kinda confusing, I read it as premium gets 8 slots plus what they have unlocked, Free new accounts will just be 2 slots *Stop*

*reading it again, Stop*

okay saw what I was reading, and was really just reading wrong.
    I was mixing the amount of Archtypes (8+) with being the amount of Slots I would have. I was reading into it wrong.
    so the difference is between Free and Returning Player (or as Premium) is, I'll get mail, a few more chat channels, Still can join SG, and Limited Inventions and Mission Architect. Other then retaining what I already Unlocked or purchased,and the rest, it's same as free.
    it'll be tough deciding which 2 characters out of the many I have, and I forgot which server was the one TOG mostly was in

16. Sente

Sente Active Member

Back in those days there were separate SGs for NA and EU sides, since there were separate server lists, instead of a single list as it is today.

For Euro side it was mainly Defiant and I believe Pinnacle was the main one for NA side.

17. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

yes it was Pinnacle, been going back through some old post I made in the Booth. I know I would had posted my characters I play. and I just had happen to have such a thread some of my crew & not all of them
    looks like at least one of the 2 I choose will be from Virtue, Guess I'll be playing a Female, something I normally never do, but I remember her being my favorite to play, or I had done very well playing her, after revisting those post I saw I made a Carbon copy of her but on the Villain side, and dude of course ;)
    So I know for sure Jill Xuun will be one I'll play again, who the second will be I dunno yet.
    I kinda need to start a new character to relearn how o play the game, but since I'll be limited to just the 2 (which I think is rip off for a premium account) , I'll just need to relearn via Crash course style.
    Not sure if it will be difficult for me to go ahead and start another account, just to start fresh and get adjusted again to the game play, then jump back to playing my characters like Jill ;)
    *pause*
    went back to read some other post
    *un-pause*
    oh oh . . was just reading another post I had made, I did have another account a Trial account . .hmmm wonder if that one would become Premium . .LOL don't even remember what the user name would been anyways

what I was looking for was to see or get an idea how long I had played, looks like I didn't get a year in so won't be getting an extra slot from that way. got a feeling I'll be stuck with choosing just 2 :mad: and I prolly have like 40 or 50 to choose from, at least 20

18. Mind Rott

Mind Rott Well-Known Member

We played on Pinnacle mostly although I had a few toons on almost all the other ones also. Altaholic if I remember correctly. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  19. Sente

Sente Active Member

20. Sente

Sente Active Member

Now when the NDA is lifted it is possible to talk about some these things finally ;)

I have been playing in the closed beta for about a month now and this update is most definitely the largest one they have done without requiring to buy an expansion (like City of Villains or Going Rogue).

The new zone First Ward is a quite impressive zone. Originally the zone was set to be for level 20-25, at least when it comes to the story missions (there are mobs with higher levels in the zone), but this was changed to 20-29 after player feedback - there is too much mission content that you risked outleveling it before you completed the story arcs. There is an ongoing story for the story arc missions, which in total consists of about 40 missions (I lost count somewhere on the way). These are quite good.
    I think you will have to pay extra for the missions unless you are VIP, but that anyone can visit the zone itself.

Street Justice is a new melee powerset which is simply awesome fun to play. Played a brute up to high 20s so far with this powerset. I like the other new powersets also (beam rifle and time manipulation), but this was the surprise powerset for me, since I am normally not a pure melee player.

A quite cool feature which I do not think have been talked about in public before is what they call combat phasing - this is essentially that you can see and experience different realities in the same zone, depending on your mission context. This includes NPCs, items and players.

Other and previous solutions have done this with different zone instances, but in this case it is in the same zone instance, so this happens in the open world zones and without any zoning/instancing - there are parts of a zone that are affected by this phasing and if you enter a phased part it will update to reflect your reality. Currently this is primarily used in the new starting experience revamp in Atlas Park and Mercy Island.

It is said to be less resource intensive than instancing, so they will likely use this more and more in the future where applicable instead of always jumping into a new instance for a mission.

There is a long list of changes and updates in the forums, but unless you have an active account you will likely not be able to read it:

City of Heroes Forums - VIP Beta patch notes