Civilization 5

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Spectre8, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Stuman

Stuman Guest

Welp - my $80 investment has gotten me a nice silver Frisbee. I have tried this game on every PC in the house and none of them will read the DVD. I can't do a thing with it so it's a wait now until I can take it back to JB and get a new one (that hopefully works).

Angry is a very good and apt term for what I am feeling now.

2. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

:(

3. Stuman

Stuman Guest

Welp - a round trip to get the discs replaced (gotta love JB) and it turns out it was my DVD drive. It's weird because every other DVD and CD I could lay my hands on worked fine in this drive. So $25 later I have a new DVD Drive - that's exactly the same as my old drive sans the Light Scribe stuff.

Now thoroughly engrossed in it.

4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got it working.

I would pick the game up myself but must admit the complex nature has always put me off Civ games i am a bit wooden.

5. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

Yes, be aware, Civ V moves at a slower pace than Civ IV. No more early "super civilization expansion" or "technology rushes" or "stacks of doom".

I find I'm prefering the slower pace, actually.

6. Stuman

Stuman Guest

I'm finding the mechanics of battle quite interesting - almost harking back to the old days of boardgames like SL. No more stack and attack, you actually have to think about what you are doing and plan accordingly. Though ranged units are very powerful against cities and static units.

7. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Yup - the limited time I've spent playing has seen the same. Really liking it so far, and it's a hell of a challenge to really do well - but it's still very early days :)

Still early in my first game - I spawned on a large landmass with four other Civs and half a dozen city-states - it's now just two of us with three allied city-states each... but the damn Thai's are about four tech's ahead of me... not looking good :D

I found the taking of cities to be about the same challenge as in Civ4 - there may not be a stack of units to take out first - but the end effect is still similar - whittle them down with catapaults, archers and triremes and smash them with swordsmen :D

I'm struggling to deal with unhappiness, but it doesn't seem (at this stage) to be as crippling as it was in Civ4 (which is a good thing). I've been at war for a while, installing puppets in my newly acquired cities, and now need to get onto building some nice happy buildings :p

Loving the game, but looking forward to a patch or two to smooth things out, and possibly add some new features.

I was a HUGE fan of what Beyond the Sword brought to Civ4 - I'm hoping they'll do something similar with the new one :)

8. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

Have to agree, loving it.

I now care about each unit, not just generic stack o' units, far more, they've put strategy back in the game, using the right units for the right job, flanking, maneuvering.

Some things are simplified, which I think is good, complexity for the sake of it does not make a good game.

One thing I would like to see is improved diplomacy. Diplomacy in the game has not come very far since the original, war/peace, trade a few commodities. AI actions seem to be completely random (well not quite, you can pick various typical traits) but there needs to be more.

9. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Not much personality to it really, either.

Started a few games, Diplomacy generally smells the same each game and quite often being asked to open borders or conspire against another AI by several competing AI's on the exact same turn.

10. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

I have always been a bit puzzled at the state of Civ diplomacy. It was done very well (well comparatively) in Alpha Centauri, but they always settle for something less for the Civ games. Really beats me... It's a big part of Civ and they always offer a very lack-lustre diplomatic model. :(

11. Stuman

Stuman Guest

Some other thoughts;
    - worker pathing and auto is atrocious, same with Scouts (had so many scouts run straight into an enemies territory and die).
    - City States need some work - they are essentially useless beyond luxuries so I just conquer them now and be done with it.
    - Game is as addictive as Civ 4, but doesn't feel as indepth for some reason.

12. Spectre8

Haven't tried anything on auto - never trusted them, and never liked the results when they "worked". Always better to do what's needed at the time.

I'm addicted :D Managed to squeeze in 15 minutes worth over lunch today... I can see this getting me in trouble :p

13. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I miss the clock from Civ4, now its too damn easy to lose track of time.

14. Spectre8

Yeah me too - but if I recall correctly - that came in a patch later on... maybe. Lets hope so for Civ5

15. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

There's a mod that puts the clock in. :)

16. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

Yep, never use auto, waste of time
    Depends how you're playing, befriending them, on top of resources, using the right ones gives you culture or free food, but also does not add to your population/number of cities. The free units can also be advantageous, I found the gold cost of keeping a city state happy vs the buy cost of a unit from one of my cities was generally cheaper, although what unit, and where they were can be hit and miss.

Also depending on map they can be a great buffer from other civs. When an opponent has to come through them to get to you.
    There are a lot of things trimmed, possibly more so than between other versions of Civ. I personally think they've done a good job of culling unnecessary over complication, hopefully some stuff will be back in an expansion, but this time implemented better.

Galah likes this.
  17. Spectre8

My girlfriend has been watching me play for the last few days, and thinks it's time to get into it once more. Not since the original Civ has she been interested - and Civ4 just wasn't her cup-of-tea - overly complicated with no shortage of micro-managing. It's looking like this will really appeal to her.

I've found the game allows me to focus on things that I generally never got around to in Civ4 - no specifics yet, but overall it feels exactly like a great civ game (sure is addictive!!) without getting bogged down on extraneous details.

18. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Woot!

19. bookbuster

bookbuster Well-Known Member

Played out for a bit, so I've decided to have a crack at modding. Going to try to insert the Aussies to the game as a slightly tongue-in-cheek addition. Wouldn't mind your opinions on the national traits...

Civilization: Commonwealth of Australia
    Leader: Harold Holt
    Civilization Trait: Big Things (+1 to national happiness per wonder in the civilization)
    Unique Unit: Digger (replaces Infantry, 60% defensive bonus)
    Unique Building: Brewery (replaces Temple, +1 to happiness, culture & food)

Galah and wHiTeRaSTa like this.
  20. Sel

Sel Guild Officer

It's been great to have a bit of Civ addiction back in my life!

I agree that the automatic worker pathing is atrocious. The biggest learning curve I have undergone is that you can no longer build roads everwhere (due to the cost) and getting out of the "habit" of trying to contruct every building in every city. The maintenance costs of doing such a thing are too prohibitive. This has made me think a bit more strategically than I have in the past and the map also doesn't look like a crazy patchwork of roads so that is a good thing.

The City-states are an interesting addition, although I feel they do need a bit more fine tuning. I'm a bit undecided on their overall worth at this stage. If you are playing with lots of city-states on a map, I am finding that every turn (due to alliances etc) I am constantly getting "X city-state being attacked by Y, please help" messages as the AI civilizations constantly go to war, then declare peace, then declare war...hopefully a future patch will address this.

The biggest show-stopper so far has been corrupted savegames and being unable to actually play some games past a certain turn (the game will just not play past Turn-x on a game regardless of how far back you go). From browsing the offical forums, this is a problem that quite a few people are getting, so hopefully a fix is incoming in the very near future, as you can imagine how annoying that is.

Overall, I would say it's a nice addition to the Civ series. Addictive as ever! At times Civ V has felt a little bit simplified, but the mod community is already very active and no doubt some great mod additions will be available shortly for those that want a bit more detail and micro-managing. The real letdown from my experience so far is that the game feels as though it hasn't been properly tested prior to release and that too many bugs have made it into the release version. I expect these to ease in the near future as patches are rolled out.

Galah likes this.