Civilization 5

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Spectre8, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Baragos

Baragos Just Joined

Also a big fan of the newest addition. I like the more strategic combat and the social policies. I do miss religion, loved seeing my nation's religion(s) spread to every corner of the globe, but other than that, can't say I'm disappointed.

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Religion and Espionage (not that I really used Espionage as an offensive tool) were great in Civ4 - hoping and guessing that they'll come along in future expansions.

Galah likes this.
  3. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

For those who haven't bought Civ V yet check this out

It's yours for $50 including postage (AU only)

4. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

Patch via Steam is out now.

Get it while it's hot.

5. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

6. Galah

Galah Well-Known Member

I had loved the civ series, 1 2 and 3 - skipped 4 because of this WOW thing - then found myself downloading the demo Sunday as it was raining hard, bride out of town and awaiting the WOW expansion.

I bought the game the day after (yesterday) and am a bit red-eyed this morning :)

Bugger :)

What a hoot

Yeah, the pathing is a bit ordinary - I never set units to auto but I do set destinations a few turns ahead and that's gone odd a couple of times.

Love the military and city defence stuff, and ranged units.

My first non-demo game - France for extra culture :) - and I've got 6 cities, punching out workers, settlers and wonders - 2 allied city-states 1 giving me food and another more culture - and then the 2 civs I can see break their trade agreements with me and declared war - I thought I was buggered as I had only my scout, original warrior and an extra archer. I tried an auto save not long before aggression to try and butter them up - no joy - so I thought oh well lets see what happens. My cities stated with military units, horsemen and horse archers and an archer unit. But before they came about, my closest city saw a fair bit of pillaging but it held out (the archer unit died early due to running into enemy and I discovered 2 units in town, one will get thrown out :) After I got a few units and changed production I have puppeteered 3 cities destroying 1 civ and the other paid alot for peace (I was silly to take it I think, but they are far off, behind a set of mountains with a single choke point - although I just discovered that they can "make their own boats" to travel across water :)

Yep, I'm sucked in and the wife has been informed I'll be absent for the next few nights :)

7. Spectre8

Awesome stuff Galah :D Sounds like it's done its job!!

The first MP game I tried, I had a decent spread of land and cities, but minimal offense or defense - my very peaceful neighbours (AI) invaded without warning - and with some very careful management of my few troops, and a mad rush to churn out as many new ones as possible - I was able to destroy the insurgents - and then take the fight to them!

I didn't give in to the very tempting capitulation offer... Smashed them into history!! :)

8. Galah

Galah Well-Known Member

Rechs likes this.
  9. FreakFire74

FreakFire74 Just Joined

Anyone still playing this? I would love to play a casual multiplayer game (broken up in a few 1-3 hr sittings).

10. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

I'm still playing it, but my experience of Multiplayer suggests you can't save and resume...

11. FreakFire74

FreakFire74 Just Joined

Hi Reaper Smurf,

I actually played some internet games with a friend but he got bored about halfway through.. :) So, in my experience saving and resuming works well.

12. Spectre8

I've tried MP plenty of times, but I just don't like it :)

The MP for Civ4 worked very well, this.... not so much.

13. Galah

Galah Well-Known Member

I tried MP 5 once and couldn't get it to stay loaded for anytime before it crashed - could be my old system, and it didn't look good enough for me to try to fault find.

I still do the odd single player Civ5