Co-op game suggestions please

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Rakshala, May 23, 2008.

1. Rakshala

Rakshala Active Member

Hi all,

My ToGer husband and I are looking for suggestions for a co-op PC game we can play. It seems our local stores only have games we can play against each other, or solo. Strat, RPG, or even FPS if it had some plot to it would all be welcome.

We are trying to avoid MMOs because our budget can't afford the monthly payments but would be willing to explore a free one.

Thanks in advance,

Rak

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

A married couple/friends of mine have been looking for something similar, but haven't had much luck. Diablo II was their last great game for co-op-ing (that a new word? :)).

Be interested to see where this thread goes :p

3. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Try Guild Wars, it has no monthly fees, we have a very active division here in TOG full of friendly people who will give you plenty of help. There is a thread over in the GW section of the forum for requesting trial keys so you can try before you buy.
    If you have Half Life 2 there is a mod called Synergy which adds co-op play, some of the design is a bit patchy but it's still a fun game. There is a similar mod for Doom 3 too.
    There are a few Squad based shooters that have co-op too, take a look at Swat 4 and The Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon series.
    Gears of War has a 2 player co-op mode, you can play through the whole game together.
    One to keep an eye on is Left 4 Dead from Valve, it's not out yet but it's looking promising, it's a zombie shooting co-op FPS.

There is a huge list of co-op games on Wikipedia here-
    Category:Cooperative video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That should give you plenty to go on :)

4. Rakshala

Rakshala Active Member

5. Bloodwrych

Bloodwrych Retired Moderator

Gday Rak long time no see. There is a couple of games floating around atm..
    You could try one of the open beta games if you want to go completly cost free.

Requim: Bloodymare is currently open beta... bit of a grindfest later on but would probably be classed as a cyberpunk horror mmo

Mythos might entertain you....its kinda like diablo.....3 if you wish but is online game with most of the usual mmo features.

Anarchy Online is another online game....graphics is dated...but lots of depth to the game... and you can download and play for free as well if you wish

car racing game if that floats your boat... Project Torque free online MMO if you wish your car is your avatar

several more i bet but they are the first to come to mind.

regards,
    B

6. jayMPH

jayMPH Getting Started

Good day! I would suggest you try WYDglobal. it's a free MMO which you and your husband could enjoy. Easy to manipulate and has a reasonable number of friendly and helpful players not to mention I am one of them. I can help you if you need something. Well, this is just my suggestion.:)

7. Jero

Jero Getting Started

If you can find it Starlancer the prequel to Freelancer is one of the best co-op games I have played. Full single player story but with your friends as wingmen and everyone gets the cut scenes and shit. Was done really well.

8. Deadfyre

Deadfyre Well-Known Member

For Offline, Serious sam.

For online, Hellgate has co-op play online, and is free (though you can do the sub if you like for a couple extra perks).

Quarterly new content is coming in this month too, new near-infinite zones and pvp stuff too. :)

9. Damo

Damo Well-Known Member

If your into Pirates and lets face it who doesn't like puffy shirts, TOG has an active guild in Voyage Century Online, another free to play MMO.

10. vurnz

vurnz Just Joined

nice to here that there's a couple playing games here.....

have you heard of NEOSTEAM?

well, it's a new mmorpg that opens their OBT last may
    it's a 3D sci-fi games sets in stam punk universe.

you can choose from 4 major races and and 4 jobs from the start.
    it has e major factions, but as of the moment there are only 2 available, the Elerd Kingdom and the Rogwel Republic

it has a great graphics, fast levelling and different transportation

for more info, you visit their site

New Steam Punk MMORPG NeoSteam

11. Isthiriel

Isthiriel Active Member

Hmm, for strategy games, you can play Civilization (or [i]Freeciv[/i]) as a team (something I do semi-regularly with one of my friends), Supreme Commander (and most other RTSs; Warcraft III, Age of Empires III, Rise of Nations and Empire Earth II work from personal experience) allow you to play 2v2 or 2vAIs, though no story.

Most Bioware RPGs (Baldur's Gate/II, Icewind Dale/II, Neverwinter Nights/II) can all be played together (though the expansions to the original NWN require the campaign file to be modded slightly) and playing NWN online is specifically designed for coop.

Dungeon Siege/II have a coop mode. The original Dungeon Siege doesn't give you the full story like that which makes it even hack'n'slashier than Diablo. Dungeon Siege II as I understand it is identical to the SP experience.

I've played System Shock 2 coop (from the one CD *cough*) though it's getting old and the multiplayer implementation is a buggy afterthought so you need to make a lot of hardsaves because between desyncs and corrupted autosaves and quicksaves you may have to do a bit of backtracking (it takes about 12-16 hours to finish and in the three attempts I've made to play through it, the first was lost completely from not enough savefiles about four hours in, the second finished with one corruption that involved about fifteen minutes of backtracking and the final attempt was abandoned due to lost interest about six hours in).

The Splinter Cell series has been coop since Chaos Theory though CT's "coop campaign" is a series of individual missions that are variants of the ones in the SP campaign redesigned to make two-player maneouvres more useful than solo rambo-ing. I have a vague memory that Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is also supposed to have some coopiness?

Other games I've played coop are Quake II (FPS, no plot to speak of), Sacred Plus (Diablo clone), Prince of Qin (ditto, I think we had some problem with the save files of this which made it hard to save/resume) and the Silverfall Demo (also Diablo clone).

I think you can play the campaign of Unreal Tournament III coop though I haven't tested it and the storyline is extremely thin.

HTH. :)

12. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

Pirates of the Burning sea is similar to the Sid Meier Pirates in it has ship battles and sword fighting which can be done cooperatively.

TOG is currently playing the French Nation on the Invincible server which is billed by Telstra Bigpond. If you are using Telstra as an ISP, you get a discount on the monthly fees.

Guild Wars is also an excellent cooperative online multiplayer and I feel it is a worthy successor to the Diablo Games, unlike say Hellgate London.

Guild Wars 2 Beta is planned for later half of 2008, so a full product launch is not expected until 2009. In the interim, I am sure you would be able to pick up one of the 3 self contained games which will let you experience the joys of fee free, multiplayer, cooperative fantasy setting. The ingame vistas are vast and the story line epic. From the blackened plains around ascalon, to the snowy mountains of the Shiverpeaks, to the steaming jungles of Magunna to the desert sands around elona reach, there are many and varied enemies for you and your band to vanquish,

In chapter 1 Prophecies, the first game you start in Ascalon City, the last remaining human stronghold in Tyria as the feline charr Shamans and warriors push back the human frontier. Five primary professions. the Warrior (Tank), Elementalist (Elemental fire damage dealer), Mesmer (Degeneration caster), Necromancer (Undead minion master, curse), Monk (Healer and smiter of the dead with Holy damage), Ranger (Bow wielding, animal pet master, trapper).

Other chapters in Guild wars are Chapter 2 Factions - Asian inspired theme on the Continent of Cantha, Chapter 3 Nightfall - North African inspired theme on the Continent of Elona. And the One and only expansion Guild Wars Eye of the north. Which extends the story began in Chapter 1 in the continent of Tyria.

You can form a party with a balance of skills across all the five primary professions by inviting in the stock standard henchmen or level up your own heros which you can customise their skill and armour and weapons.

Party sizes start at 4 in the early chapters and expand to eight half way through the first chapter as you level to the maximum charater level of 20. You can bring along a maximum of 3 heros.

So you can mix and match humans and friendly NPCs in a Player Versus Environment setting.

13. FRIENDLYUNIT

FRIENDLYUNIT Well-Known Member

I'm totally up for some SP CT COOP, if anyone is interested...

14. MacBryce

MacBryce Getting Started

My girlfriend and I are looking at the same problem. The market has a lot of great titles to play with your mates, but few to play with your girl. Unless she's playing FPS and RTS like everybody else, there's not much to get into.

My girlfriend was a big fan of Settlers, Beast & Bumpkins and Populous, but Black & White (~Populous) didn't translate well to her due to the excessive and annoying tutorials and Settlers VI: Rise of an Empire only has head-to-head gameplay. So no luck in the RTS departement. Future titles to attempt are cIV (which I think will be too complex, but maybe who knows), No One Lives Forever 2 and if that would work, maybe Splinter Cell Chaos Theory coop although I expect the controls to be too complicated.

I'd be happy to hear if anyone has suggestions but everything that involves slaughtering someone fails. So Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Gears of War and all those kind of games aren't for us to play together.

I never minded if my girlfriends didn't join me in gameplay, but my love spends a lot of time gaming. For some reason, I can stand her playing Mah Jong, Zuma and Beasts & Bumpkins while we could play something together.

Maybe I should just give it a rest, and restrict our coop sessions to Buzz! and Singstar.

15. Rakshala

Rakshala Active Member

MacBryce- This might end up in all out war for control over the game, but have you tried some of the one player puzzle adventures like the Myst series?

Also Puzzle Pirates is a free to play MMO, so at least you guys could play puzzle games together.

16. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

If you don't mind the dated graphics you could go old school & play the Balders gate series. They have been released collected together in one box set which is retailing on the cheaper side.

There's also Neverwinter nights. Benefit of NWN is that there are hundreds of adventures available to download & play. Again because it's been out for a few years you should be able to pick it up cheap.

17. Sir Fitz

Sir Fitz Retired Administrator

/Just a quick note about an OLDER game.

Unreal has coop mode in it's singleplayer campaign. When I played it, I was hooked on it for years (coop play).

18. Firthy

Firthy Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, Sacred Gold is available off steam for $9.99. Diablo 2 clone with a few differences, I like the Daemon...

19. FRIENDLYUNIT

FRIENDLYUNIT Well-Known Member

Older games? Has anyone mentioned Heretic II yet? If the patches are still available that's really fun in coop.

20. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

Another game that was really fun to play co-op is System Shock2.