Collectors editions: Trash or Treasure?

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Pure Mongrel, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Maybe I should write this when I am not so pi$$ed off at the world, but ...

I just unboxed my collectors edition of Batman Arkham Asylum and to say I feel ripped off would be an understatement.

They could have put a big plastic turd in the box (maybe even a real one) and I would feel the same as I do now.

1) It is not the same as the North American version.

USA version came in a cool black batman logo case - Aus version ... nope
    USA version got a leather binder for game and art book - Aus version ... nope

At least we all got to share the crappy, 2c to produce, plastic Batarang that has been purposely scratched up to make it look worn. (It actually makes it look like your kid got to it and stuffed it).

2) It is no where near worth the extra $50 I paid for it over the normal edition price.

I could not feel more ripped off. I kept digging through the packaging looking for the note from the producers that proudly announced:

"Dear loser,

We, and your cash, are currently sitting pool side at an ultra expensive hotel in the Bahamas. We stop laughing only long enough to order another drink and suggest new "collectors edition" ideas we can fleece fan boys like you of your money with!

Please feel free to send your comments about your purchase to:

www.WeDon'tGiveACrap-HAHAHAHA@you.com

Kind regards,

The Ultra Bastards.

P.S. Suck it like da biatch you are! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

:bigangry:​

It would appear that collectors editions are very much a hit an miss affair.

While not the worst I have seen (I think Sacred 2 takes this title for me), the Batman collectors edition is worlds away from what I consider "worth your time and money".

The best so far for me (with assumptions that the Modern Warfare 2 will soon take top spot) would have to be the HALO 3 collectors edition that came with the Master Chief Spartan Helmet.

So what is your pick for best and worse collectors edition?

Side note: Just remember that we here in Australia miss out on many of the cool collectors editions (The Fallout 3 with replica Pip-Boy 3000 never made it here for instance) so don't gloat too much :mad: :D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Man that sucks. :(

Hope the game makes up for the packaging disappointment mate.

3. GiantDave7

GiantDave7 Getting Started

I feel exactly the same mate. I had to jump on the net and Google Images the box art and realized that the US and EU versions are different.

I'm really getting sick of being shafted on CE's in Australia. Paying more than the US but getting less in the CE. I remember the amount of nerd rage when the LOTRO CE came out lol

Yes, I'm a sucker for the shiny bits you get with CE's but I think in future I'm going to be a bit more careful with what I pre-order.

That being said I've already got money down on Aion CE (might be a sucker again on that one) and Forza 3 CE (I'm pretty sure that one will be a safe bet).

(only 1 more sleep till PS3 :) )

4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I am a sucker for Collectors editions of MMO's for the big PC boxes, i am happy with the money spent on these.

Do not think i will ever go down the road to get collectors editions of console games, to me they are just too expensive. Though if something was interesting to me id no doubt grab it.

Best - Warcraft series big shiney boxes and nice books inside (wrath stuff not even of of wrapper's)

Worst - Call of Duty - Modern Warfare PC it was just in a cardboard cover box type thing and that was it nothing else.

5. Pure Mongrel

Best MMO collecters edition for me was Warhammer Online.

Cool Orc miniture, hard cover comic and art book. Even the box rocked :D

6. cookie

cookie Getting Started

never got a CE myself...

I dont even keep the green boxes the games come in. I just put away the inserts and manual and put the games in a cd box...I do keep a couple of green covers lying around to re insert the games I want to trade..

7. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

Bummer. I don't normally consider purchasing the CE of anything, but that whole batarang box was impressive. Made me want it. Thanks for the info. Might have to stick with the non CE for BAA. Still waiting for Indiana Jones CE to drop in price though. I want that skull :)

8. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Oh yes forgot that comic was cool and the box still sits out in the open for all to see :)

9. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

The only CE's I've ever purchased came from the bargain bin. For example I grabbed the CE of Supreme Commander for $10. The disc and manual went in my storage case and the rest went straight in the bin. :mrgreen:

IMHO, CE's are universally overpriced shit. I want to play the game, not read some juvenile comic book version. ;)

10. Pure Mongrel

But Rubicon ... they are full of shinny wondrous things; Manufactured by wondrous Pixies and Elves and distributed lovingly in each box by scantily clad Amazonian Goddesses! ... (or is that just in my head? :eek: )

Ok so not in every case ... but some have Spartan Helmets and Night Vision goggles!

"DUDE! Night Vision Goggles!" :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

Got the Indiana Jones skull... $20. Girl in the store was shocked. She thought it was supposed to be $65. It was the week before. SCORE:D. Batman's still a couple of months off though.

12. Pure Mongrel

Nice one :D

13. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I was wondering who bought those LOL :D Only one I ever got was for a game that I really wanted and the CE was all they had in stock, but the price wasn't that bad in that particular case. I think it was an extra 15 or 20. bunch of extra crap I threw in the trash. ;)

14. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

My son is taken in by the CE items. He's started a collection on top of his tall boy chest of drawers. Most look like lunchboxes which will never be used but can be admired for the rest of his life.

I admit I am tempted at times myself to buy these items, Assassins Creed figurine, Batarang etc.

We did go for the Night Vision Goggles. Who wouldn’t?

As for the rest of the items I have, never used them and pretty much left in the box they came in, all 4 GW collector sets.

15. CAMMO

CAMMO Great bloke ... Staff Member Moderator -= GOLD Patreon =-

:mad:the CE vers. of COD4 modern warfare2 for PC doesn't have the googles. now that sucks

16. kg0

kg0 Getting Started

Well if it comes to CEs/Prestige/Ultra/whatever_super_edition versions... I don't mind them, from about 50 games I bought so far, I bought 1 only - CoD:MW2 Hardened Edition. I didn't want to go for the night vision googles version because why would I...? I'm 28, like I'm going to run around with nv googles around the neighbourhood, nope. I wanted to get the CoD Classic HD though, hence the purchase of the Hardened version but then again - I could buy the CoD Classic HD on PSN now but... it is sometimes a good feeling of buying something that is not a standard version.

Would I fork out 200-300-400 on a game? No, waste of money but can understand the value for some people.

George likes this.