Coming soon...I mean IT"S LIVE!!

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Hoathy, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

Hello TOG minecrafters!!

It's been sometime since I trolled these forums and made a fool of myself with noob-tastic questions.

Alas the time has come again!!!!

And this time I have a treat for you. Well, if you count pain and torture as a treat...

With the help of Joe/any1seenjoe (and by help I mean he did all the work) we are bringing you a Magic Nightmare server which will shortly be officially aligned as a TOG server.

This particular server is designed to test your ability to survive a brutal set of mods with little else besides magic to help you out. Not unlike IAF, there is very limited tech with more of a focus on magic (the biggest difference here being the inclusion of Thaumcraft 4) and roleplaying.

Notable mods included:
    -Thaumcraft 4
    -Ars magica 2
    -Hunger Overhaul
    -Millenaire
    -Minecraft Comes Alive

Notable mods NOT in this pack:
    -IC2
    -Buildcraft
    -Computer craft
    -Applied Energistics

As for the rest, well you'll just have to wait and see (or look at the mod list once you have it installed I guess...).

The server is relatively large with a healthy amount of RAM. It is located in South Australia and offers a very good playing experience for Aussie gamers. That being said I've had a few American Toggers test it for me with little to no complaints.

We are ready to roll just waiting on the official nod. Once that's happened ill post a link to download the pack (it's a Forge install) and the IP address.

Looking forward to opening this up to all Toggers!

Hoathy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

History: This pack is actually in it's third (?fourth) iteration. Many months ago, during a late night discussion with Joe while running some dungeons in FFXIV:ARR we stumbled across our mutual love of Minecraft. In fact I think it was more along the lines of Joe telling me about all the changes I had missed (TOG Mindcrack was my last big modded minecraft binge). Joe had been throwing together a pack of his own to enjoy locally. I happened to mention I had a vanilla server that I used with some of my family.

Given my server had been quite for sometime I suggested we chuck his pack up and give it a go together. Didn’t go so well, server was too small, buggy, and causing me all kinds of headaches. So I invested in a new flashy server and we loaded up Joe’s creation. The first pack still had IC2/Buildcraft/AE/Computer craft etc, as well as the above mentioned magic mods. Despite being relatively successful we wanted to make a few changes. So after nearly a month we pulled it down and started again from scratch.

This time Thaumcraft 4 became somewhat of an obsession of mine. It is a great mod and if you haven’t played around with it yet you are missing out. After about a month we realised that the combination of the magic mods with the tech mods made the game too easy. I mean we had more resources than we knew what to do with, and storing them was easy because we had AE.

So having really enjoyed Thaumcraft 4 and Ars Magica 2 we decided to build a pack around that. We ripped out all the tech (IC2/Buildcraft/AE/Computer Craft) and added hunger overhaul. Joe also wanted to try Millenaire and MCA, and I wanted to play around with Extra Utilities (for the love heart glass of course) so we added those in for good measure.

The result is what we have live at the moment. We’ve only been testing since Friday but apart from a few minor bugs (mostly just tooltip errors, which aren’t game breaking), it seems both stable and a lot of fun!

Edit: I really should add that Joe does all the hard work. He puts the packs together and makes sure everything works. I just fund the server, upload any updates, make unreasonable requests and occasionally use my powers as Op to spawn cows. Also I removed myself as Op, I can't be trusted

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Gedarn

Gedarn Retired Captain

Sounds like fun, I've been playing on my singleplayer with TC4, Thaumic Tinker, witchery and AM2. The mods are quite different to what they were and a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to playing on your server.

4. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

Agreed. And TC4 continues to get some realy good tweaks. Most notably in 4.04 any of the high end wand cores actually require infusion crafting. Makes it harder, but more balanced/rewarding in my opinion.

My only request would be for infusion crafting to be more dangerous. Taint management needs to be a little more challenging at the moment...

Joe is the AM2 guru. I didn't get too much of a chance to get deep into it. I love the texturing and animations though. Very nice.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

Millenaire is a great mod, especially if you tweak the config file to bring towns a bit closer together. never beat up those villagers, they wont forget it !

6. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

Yeah it looks like a lot of fun. The seed we have chosen has a healthy amount all relatively close to each other. I like how the different societies have different style buildings etc.

Speaking of which it is a good seed. Joe made some tweaks to Biomes a Plenty so there's more "awesome" and less "bleh". There is a Millenaire village very close to spawn which was helpful in surviving the first night (although I've since added a safe point at spawn, it's pretty).

MCA adds new villagers to the vanilla villiages as well (hmm that sentance...). So no more derpy looking dudes. With MCA you can also marry a vanilla villager, have kids, raise them as slaves, start your own village etc. Looks like good fun. (Won't work with Millenaire villagers though).

7. Fate

Fate Well-Known Member

looking forward to it :)

8. DeeP

DeeP Retired Captain

sounds fantastic

So much magic awesomeness in one server thanks for putting it together

9. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

TOG whitelist added. Server is live

10. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

Sweet !! Looking forward to jumping on.

11. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

Look forward to having you!

I'm stepping away for a bit but Joe is likely to be on shortly.