Console Division Forum projects and updates.

Discussion in 'Secret Squirrel Console Club House (Private, Hidde' started by Pure Mongrel, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Well-Known Member

Current
    *2011 member list now up.

Next task
    *Console Division Awards
    (Note: Need ideas here please. See mine below)

My idea - A sticky created that has award graphics that members can cut and past into posts through out the console division forum. "We" will no longer keep track or award "gamer points" for awards. (This was just too much of a time sink for Admin.)
    DC and Squad Leaders should award these liberally as they see fit and encourage other members to do the same.

If you guys like this idea, we need a "list" of possible awards and once list is made, corresponding graphics.

Upcoming projects that need discussion
    * Specific game member lists. Which stay, which get retired and what needs to be made?
    * Console Division Front Page. Contents? Who is going to write it up?
    * Start here thread. Needs updating!
    * Console hardware guides. XBOX and PS3 need updating, Wii needs to be written.

2. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Start here thread has been updated, at least with the current SLs names. I also added a "contact Cadder if you are interested in being a Euro SL" link.

3. Pure Mongrel

You leaving the sig request sticky up?

How do you want to tackle awards moving forward?

4. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

No, I'll have to pull a sneaky on that one - I'll demote it.. until I get around to actually fulfilling the requests that are already there. Then sticky it again when I'm up-to-date.

I still think the system I had/have in mind for the secondary site is the way to go, because it's pretty much self-governing. I've just gotta find a spare month to pump into it timewise is all. When I started that I was part-time/casual. Full time work sucks in some ways :/

5. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

but better in so many other ways. ;)

6. Pure Mongrel

So shall we demote the award system we have now? It is not being used and it will help tidy things up.

7. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Natch :p

Reluctantly, but yes, I think it would be best.
    Perhaps don't make any announcements or anything saying that it's been disbanded, and don't actually lock the threads out... simply because I *will* still retrospectively honour any posts made in the "post your awards here" thread.
    It'll be a "when I get time to do it" job

8. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

Not to be rude/mean, but when I joined the division, the award system (while cool and a great idea in many ways) seemed to me (as an outsider) like a bunch of long time forum users patting themselves on the back. I know it was probably never intended as such, and you were probably trying to generate more interest in the division, but that's the way it came across to me. :?

If there is a super easy way to do it (like Cadder's self-updating system) then I'm all for it, as it seems people really like trophies/gamerscores. It gives the more competitive members something to trash talk about too ;).

Cadder and George like this.
  9. Pure Mongrel

An interesting view point ... one I wish you had raised before all the hours I put into updating the awards! ;)

It was certainly not the intent, but looking back at it now (especially with only a few people participating) I could see how it could be viewed that way.

The awards system had to change this year as no one has the time to keep it going. I would like to see a couple of graphics made that Squad Leaders can use to award members, within the relevant thread, to acknowledge good gaming / community spirit / humor, etc.

Couple that with the already existent rep system and we should be sweet awards wise.

10. Ancient_One

The other problem is trying to confirm the validity of an award given to a member.

The need to sign into the Playstation network and try to find the member to confirm the award or to have the member added to your friends list to enable you to find them and confirm the award was very time consuming.

The awards started off small but then we got a little carried away and tried to cover more situations which didn't fall into a specific category. Newer awards being created all the time. It just got to big.

A simplified system would be great. 100% game completion, Platinum Trophy, award for assisting in a game re written, multiplayer assist in a game etc.

Keep it simple I guess.

11. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

@Spunkmeyer: acknowledged and understood. I can now see how that may have been so.
    Not necessarily in defence, but more of a Devil's Advocate: part of that perception lay in the fact that (in the case of 100% completions, etc) if players didn't tell us they'd completed a game, they didn't get awarded for it.
    Hence, the people who got awarded are the players who knew about the awards and spoke up - or played (semi-)regularly with (as we were wonce referred to) "the magnificent Seven".
    Unfortunate that it came across as a "boys club".

@A_1/PM: my impression of PM's original vision was for the TOGCC awards to fill in the gaps between IRL-Gaming and the forum rep system.
    Examples:
    something funny said in-forum gets repped.
    Useful information posted in-forum gets repped
    Joining/participating/organising a gameplay session gets awarded
    Killing your whole squad in-game gets awarded.

The line got a little blurred though; notable example: posting helpful info or tips about a game in-forum began to be awarded instead of (or sometimes as well as) a rep point.
    IMHO, this made the award system more complex than it needed to be.

12. Pure Mongrel

So how would you like it to be revamped?

13. George

George Well-Known Member

I have an idea. How about if you have access to the club house you're not allowed to have awards? Controversial i know, but if you're in here you've already done a lot for the console division (or about to) and don't need to be awarded.

I think Spunkmeyers post is a great insight to what it's like from the outside (even though he's now on the inside :) ). +1 mate.

14. Pure Mongrel

I have no issue with that ... wait a minute! I did not get any awards last go around! :( ;)

15. Ancient_One

and this is where things get messy again. Ex Captains, Div Officers who might miss out on awards or Rep points while employed in the position then return to the fold awardless. How do you account for this. Is it a concern to those who miss out.

Yes I know PM was joking but just saying we want people to volunteer for positions not discourage it by not awarding them when they do or say something of value.

Then you could argue that having a position is high enough praise in itself so in forum awards are not required.

Just more things to ponder I guess.

16. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

FWIW, I agree with A1. I think NOT awarding SLs just because they're SLs is counterproductive and disincentivising. (?) I believe in credit where it's due. If you earn something, it should be awarded, irregardless of your rank.

PM, your lack of awards was as a result of an overactive humility gland. A few of us awarded you awards (!?) that you refused to apply to yourself. I know I tried a few times - and usually it was appropriate since it was for joining team activities (like contributing to own-squad mass homicide/suicide in MAG).
    I did consider creating a new martyrdom award called "No points for me, I'm not worthy" just for you at one stage ;) )
    In fact, when tallying up the awards for the TOGcc site (when it was under active dev), I made sure I meticulously awarded you retroactive points for all the times people had awarded you and you didn't add them to your own score.

PS: +1 for Spunky - your insight is exactly the kind of feedback the other SLs and TOGcc admins need. Thankyou for speaking up.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  17. Pure Mongrel

LOL "the Martyrdom award!"

From the outset (as I was the one updating the lists, etc. and I did not know how the awards would be viewed / used) I did not want to create a situation where the DC role was called into question over "cooking the books".

It was easier, and cleaner for the division, if I did not accept any awards.

My worthiness was not in question ... I would have owned those awards ;)

Cadder likes this.
  18. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Bwahahahahahah!!!
    <falls off chair laughing>

19. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

there was no award big enough for you... :)