Consolidate all the sub forums i'm bloody confused

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Bikkies, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

Trying to find a thread i did a month ago i have no idea where i worked out i should have put it.

Can it be kept simple, because i'm becoming more simple everyday new day :confused:

Does anyone agree?

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I liked things better when it was Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and general console.

3. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

4. Bikkies

We could even just use topic prefixes and have it all in one, i'm sorry whoever made it like this but it's a mess.

Thanks babe <3

5. George

George Retired Captain

That was me :( Sorry

We found games brought out on all consoles we getting multiple entries as per Sony/Nintendo/XBOX. So we changed it to games/hardware/comps and the TOG only section. I thought i made it clear in the please start here thread.

I'll dig out the discussion thread on the pros/cons and post later

George

6. George

George Retired Captain

The start of the changes here
    The new forum layout thread here

We were discussing if for a month and it's been implemented for over 6 months. I hope this helps you, but please post up if you think we can make it better

7. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I agree with Bikkies . Especially when compared to the rest of TOG, the Console section isn't that active. I think it would work better if it were simply 1 forum, things would be easier to find, and it's likely threads would get more replies as we wouldn't have to switch between sub forums to check all the latest posts. Also, very occasionally, I'll be unsure where to post something.

The only worry is Reoh bringing us (spamming) all the latest news and bumping discussions off the first page :p

8. click

click Well-Known Member

I like it the way it is, nice and simple :)

9. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

LOL. I expected this thread a lot earlier than this. We rearranged the console section because it was a big mess before hand.

The console consortium is different from all the other divisions because we deal with multiple types of hardware, multitudes of titles (that can be on more than one hardware type) and multiple online communities.

We discussed, planned and proposed what you see here today and for the past six months has worked better than what we had before.

It should be straight forward, Hardware discussions in one place, game title discussions in another, etc. The thread on Ghost Busters should be in the games section.

This does not mean that we won't change things for the better (by general consensus etc.), but apart from the fact that we have had to move some threads into the right section from time to time, I thought the console consortium was working well.

Because of all the topics we deal with here, we are always open to methods of streamlining the forum.

Speaking for myself only though, I think dumping it all back into one area, or console specific areas, will only bring back the mess of duplicate threads and lost conversations.

It is far busier now thanks to the work of members like George, Click, Cadder, A_1, etc. The console section was close to death, but was brought back to life by their efforts and our number of users is growing steadily. :D

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  10. Bikkies

so we have
    Competitions forum is there really that many currently running that they need their own forum? Couldn't they be stickies for a duration
    Hardware forum it's just like talking about a game isn't it
    Console Consortium?
    Games talk? Isn't this the main forum and this one the same?
    Console Talk - Isn't this the same as the hardware forum?

These is what i am trying to comprehend, i'm sorry if i missed previous discussions.
    It just seems a bit over the top having this many. Think of if you first visited this part of TOG what would you think... would you have even more threads if people could just post a thread here? I'll go away now :(

11. George

George Retired Captain

If it makes it easier in the long run we could open up the previous discussion threads.

I do agree bikkies about the console talk main forum not being used. It was just a platform to put the other folders in.

I did the please start here thread to explain how it works.

This is what we ended up with.

• Console Talk (Public Forum)
      • Games Talk (Public Sub Forum)
      • Hardware Talk (Public Sub Forum)
      • Competitions (Public Sub Forum)
      • TOG Console Consortium (Private Sub Forum for TOG members only)
        • Stickies for Wii Codes, PSN IDs and Xbox gamertags
    The console consortium was needed to allow us to go public. I do believe it's a better structure now than what we had before, but saying that i'm all for changes to make it better.

12. Bikkies

Thanks George it makes sense now, wish there was an easier way though.

Does prefixing Topics sound useful to anyone like they do in the laboratory?
    I can see the structure but can it be simplified further? or is it just too hard because of the public forum access you have achieved.

13. George

George Retired Captain

We already have the prefix XBOX, PS3, wii & PSP to allow us to see what's being discussed. Are you suggesting having more, but in one forum?

Either way i'm not sure. We've had the prefixes for about 5 months now and if you look through the threads it's not being used as much as it could be.

14. Pure Mongrel

Have to agree with Bikkies about the Console Talk section. It is confusing, especially for a new member.

George can we lock the whole section? Just leave it for the welcome message etc?

15. George

George Retired Captain

I'll ask to see what we can do

16. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Agree with Bikkies on that one. I myself think I brought up the confusion with the Console Talk then sub forums a few months back. I felt people would post in the Console Talk section and then not visit or post in the sub forums.

If we can lock down the Console Talk forum as the welcome which would then point people to the right sub forums, I think that would be better.

I think over all it works perfectly well and is a vast improvement. It has brought people closer togeather as we discuss the posts more as a group now instead of by specific branding. I for one love it and love to make comments, sometimes helpfull, in threads which cover consoles, handhelds I don't currently have or used to have. A better community feeling.

I think the current setup is no different to those of the other divisions with their sub forums for specific teams.

Alternate thought for consideration if Console Talk can't be locked down :

• Console Talk (Public Forum) (REMOVE)
      • TOG Console Games Talk (Public Forum) (RENAME)
      • TOG Console Hardware Talk (Public Forum) (RENAME)
      • TOG Console Competitions (Public Forum) (RENAME)
      • TOG Console Consortium (Private Sub Forum for TOG members only)
        • Stickies for Wii Codes, PSN IDs and Xbox gamertags
    but we have to be mindfull of the current discussions about handheld gaming, portable devices and the like. Discussion on creating a seperate sub forum for them as well.

17. Pure Mongrel

Why do we want to rename the sub forums? With Console talk locked, they work perfectly don't they?

18. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

We haven't heard if we can lock Console Talk yet. Just making an alternative suggestion should the lock not be implemented.

The renaming would be to bring them into line to identify them as Console related if we removed Console Talk in total.

Sorry for the confusion.

19. George

George Retired Captain

I haven't asked yet. Just finished my weekend. I'll get the info soon though.

20. Bikkies

Don't stress mate, please it's not that important.