Creating an auto mob grinder questions..

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by white_bear_84, Mar 10, 2014.

1. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

So I havent really played around with mobs much before and am looking at building auto mob grinder so I can start collecting essence and get some mob goodies :)

Just a few questions for those who have already built theirs:

1. In FTB it says that the grinder only produces 100 essence, but the spawner needs 150? How do you overcome this shortfall? Or is this incorrect?
    2. Can you set a spawner to spawn multiple mobs at all - It only has one slot for the safari net? I assume this needs to be changed by the user..
    3. What is the best way to control the spawner e.g. Turn on switch, sends a signal that only lasts for xxx second etc? (So that it cannot be accidentally left on..)

2. Penthrox

Penthrox Elite Dangerous Captain

I personally use a cursed earth spawner (which spawns mobs on cursed earth) to feed into a tank that holds the mob essence

An auto spawner can only spawn 1 mob type at a time using a safari net. I change mine manually

I run mine to a redstone cell and have switches connected to my machines via red alloy wire to control them.

Swing by my place if you want to check it out.

3. white_bear_84

1. Saw Aveege's CE spawner, its pretty cool; from memory, uses drawbridges to turn it 'off'. Assume have one block with only one space above it at the end of the room, so the earth can spread once the drawbridges are retracted...

2. Already seen your spawner Pen - Pretty much basing what I do off that :)

If you are using the CE spawner, is there any need to have an autospawner - I guess if you particularly need a certain item? I will have to work on one of these eventually.. ..now if only a creeper did not blow up the chest containing the one division sigil I found...

On another note, I am probably going to need some slime and some ghast tears... ..cam probably get the slime myself, there is a slime island near my place - getting the ghast tears from the nether more of a pain..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. OranjeJus

OranjeJus Freshly Squeezed Staff Member Moderator

I might have some ghast tears available for trade.

- OJ

5. any1seenjoe

any1seenjoe Minecraft: Vice Captain

MFR has an extractor for xp (ie a big needle). You can make up the shortfall with your own xp

6. white_bear_84

I guess another option would be to have a second tier above the spawner that is in darkness (classic pressure plate trap or something) or have the spawner in darkness so occasional spawns occur.. ..idk how often there would be additional spawns though?

7. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Also note that due to config changes it doesn't need 150 essence anymore, it needs 1500 essence or the equvalent of 15 killed mobs.

I'm using a combination of a normal mob spawn tower and automatic cow and chicken farms to generate my essence. But the cursed earth idea is interesting.

8. white_bear_84

Wait, so you need 1500 essence, but only get 100 from each mob.. ..wow..

9. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Yep, and 10 times the amount of energy as well. It drains a hardened energy cell in maybe 10-15 spawns. Having said that I'm running my entire base on two lava engines and they are mostly idling. The essence is a much larger bottleneck than the power.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014