Crowfall Kickstarter

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Illuminist, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Illuminist

Illuminist Getting Started

Artcraft began a Kickstarter campaign at 9:00 am Eastern Time (NA) which has already (10:00 am Eastern Time) raised nearly $140,000 toward its goal of $800,000. Some of the discounted early bird backer tiers are quickly filling.

I'm not usually an early backer of projects. I prefer waiting to see how things shape up or if they materialize before tossing my hat and paycheck into the fray. However, the talent behind this game along with the unique concept, solid press and great communication from the developers is persuading me break my cautionary habits.

Artcraft is projecting a December 2016 launch with 3 Alpha and 3 Beta periods, each lasting approximately a quarter. Alpha is expected to start this summer.

Take a look at Crowfall http://www.crowfall.com
    And, the Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo

I will probably indulge in a early bird discounted tier this morning before they disappear. At this rate it looks like they'll reach their goal in the next few days.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Illuminist

I dove in and secured an early bird discounted patron tier before they sold out. The game looks intriguing at this stage with action oriented combat, a real player-crafting based economy, and group strategy / land acquisition PvP.

I'm not a big fan of most games' PvP. But I wouldn't let the PvP in Crowfall scare you from the game. There appear to be real rewards for strategy and group coordination. Additionally, support roles and dedicated crafters will be necessary to succeed in many of the longer or larger conflicts.

Although Crowfall is at least a few months out from its first alpha invites I wanted to see what sort of interest there is in the game from TOG. According to the forums, FAQs and some of the larger guild discussions online, the developers are interested in custom designing supporter rewards that exceed the $10,000 Kickstarter maximum. I thought if there is enough interest TOG might be able to pool a group of 100 plus supporters at $100.00 US, and see if we might be able to persuade the developers to put together a custom TOG package.

Looking back to Star Citizen's Kickckstarter and subsequent crowd funding rounds I know that there is both a hunger for and the community ability to support an independent game with something out of the ordinary to offer. In the two years since SC's Kickstarter TOG has amassed a fleet of thousands of ships some costing upwards of several hundred dollars each. Imagine what a TOG Crowfall group of even 1/4 this size could leverage both in-game and as a pre-release supporter package. Plus, Crowfall already has over a year of development under its belt and released game footage to back its development claims.

Please take a look at the game, Kickstarter and press; add any feedback you might have to the forum thread.

3. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Star Citizen: Southern Seraphs Officer

Well I didn't even read it and I backed for the $34. At that price, as an MMORPG fanatic, it's worth backing the project.

4. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

I managed to grab one of the $30 "earliest bird" pledges. Interesting concept and slick presentation, even if we don't really need yet another PvP-focussed indie sandbox MMO.

5. Rabies

Rabies Active Member

Grabbed a $34 tier pledge. They're over half way already. It'll give me something to do if EQN doesn't pan out.

Plus, you get to play as a centaur. That sold me :)

6. Illuminist

It looks like Crowfall's developers have listened to some of the grumbling regarding how quickly the early bird rewards sold out. They posted this message at 2:30 pm Eastern Time (US).

I'd still like to see a TOG funding group develop if there is interest over the next couple of weeks/months. But for those of you that want to get in on the early bird goodies tomorrow looks like your last chance.

We've had some concerns from the community about how fast the Early Bird pledges ran out during the first few hours of the campaign.

We are going to add some more of these Early Bird pledges on this schedule:

At 8 PM CST USA today, 2/25/15 and at 8 AM CST, USA tomorrow, 2/26/15, we will add more as follows:

GOLD PATRON - EARLY BIRD, 150 new slots at each time

AMBER PATRON - EARLY BIRD: 125 new slots at each time

SAPPHIRE PATRON - EARLY BIRD: 75 new slots at each time

This doubles the availability of these Early Bird specials. We hope this helps the folks who have work schedules that forced them to miss these Early Bird categories. Frankly, we had no idea how many people would pledge these categories before we launched the campaign and believed we had added enough to last the full first day or more.

If our current backers use these slots, it means funding our goal is an additional $27.5k away, so please encourage your friends to support us to make up the difference!

Thanks for Supporting Crowfall!

P.S. We are not planning on any other Early Bird categories. And Kickstarter doesn't let us mix and match elements of rewards, though that functionality will be on our website sometime post-Kickstarter.

P.P.S. Remember that several of the items currently offered are unique to Kickstarter, including the Arcane Weapon set and all "stronghold" category buildings, All of these will be unavailable after Kickstarter. We will have other options after Kickstarter but not these specific items.

7. Malchome

Malchome Crowfall Division Captain

With the MOBA, Strategy and Simulation game elements in Crowfall, would it make it a MMOBA rather than MMORPG or MMORPBA?

8. Illuminist

The developers are calling it a MMORPG, but my head is ready to burst with the descriptions the press and backers are hanging on the game... Maybe you can invent a new acronym that will simplify the confusion.Or we may just have to wait and see what Crowfall turns out to be.

9. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

It's certainly not a MOBA. They've mentioned that each world might be around the size of WoW's two main continents combined. And they last for months. They're worlds, not just "battle arenas".

The term MMORPG applies to this game just as much as any other. It's massive, multiplayer, online and is an RPG. Nothing in that term implies the worlds have to be permanent. In practice, nothing is ever permanent.

10. Koreeth

Koreeth Active Member

I do wish I would visit the TOG forums a bit more often. I would have gotten in on the beginning instead of a few days ago. Perhaps even an early bird...ah well, I am still a backer, just a bit more cash involved.

11. RogueAU

RogueAU Well-Known Member

I've just backed this one. It looks really interesting.

12. Illuminist

Just 4 days left for the Crowfall Kickstarter. The stretch goals just reached 1.3 million which means mounts and caravans are in the launch game. Also any backers above $60.00 will get a mount. Add this to the free VIP month for reaching 13,000 backers and the extras are adding up. The 14,000 backer award is getting close and will be a pack animal for all pledge levels. For those of you on the fence, at the $60.00 tier you'll be getting a copy of the game ($50.00) plus 2 free months of VIP (?? $10.00 x 2 ??) plus mount, access to the first beta, soundtrack, artbook, Kikstarter exclusive cosmetic weapon recipe and forum badge & avatar frame. A pretty good haul when you'd need to shell out $50.00 to play the game anyway. Just a little nudge for those who might have an interest and haven't jumped on board yet.

13. JamesGoblin

JamesGoblin Getting Started

They already started testing (since August), here is some early footage:

Noob girl playing Confessor (range fire DPS):

Knight PoW (warrior/tank):

14. JamesGoblin

Some more recent footage, first Ranger (stealth/traps) PvP:

...then some sieges/destruction tests (of course, this is not serious gameplay):

And, since the video above is blocked in some countries, here is another one - longer but there are bits of destruction & physics in it; Say, past 44:10:

15. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with the game footage. Finally a game to put on my radar.

16. JamesGoblin

Meantime, siege tests started, next class to be added is Druid and here's a sneak peek at new siege engines. Below you can see these babies in action, doing some voxel destruction (hey, this rhymes!) - I call this "Death in the Rubble":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8cpcAUI07bE

Open beta (free tests) is scheduled for "this winter", while the access to current alpha tests is kinda expensive. Also, there will be Crowfall AMA on /r/games (Thursday, May 5, 10 am central) - it's CEO and Technical Director will both answer any questions you might have.

These guys are J. Todd Coleman (the creator of Shadowbane, Wizard 101 and Pirate 101) and Gordon Walton, ex- UO, SWG, SWTOR, Disney etc.

17. JamesGoblin

Here is the link to the aforementioned reddit AMA, also there is going to be some kind of 12 hour long livestream in a week or so (directly from their working offices), with couple mysterious announcements and some other stuff.

Hmm what else (too much little bits happened to pick just one)? Myrmidon, warrior/tank, is next to be added to tests and here is some random Ranger footage, again all player made - warning: music is not to everyone's taste!

18. Malchome

Malchome Crowfall Division Captain