D&D5E lvl 1

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by Yvnu, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Yvnu

Yvnu Retired Captain

Hello, i am starting a D&D 5E game in Roll20, starting at lvl1. I have 2 beginner adventures The Master's Vault and The Lost Mine of Phandelver (i am thinking of getting more later). The setting will be The Forgotten Realms.

Pre-made characters are available or you can create your own, get back to me so you can get yourself set up as soon as possible.

i am planning on starting on Sunday 24th of June or 1st of July at either 6pm - 10pm or 7pm - 11pm AEST (which ever is more suitable for everyone).

2. Ninja Gizmosis

Ninja Gizmosis Communications Manager Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Count me in....

3. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I'll pass. I don't play online...my ISP (AT&T DSL) tends to drop out now and then for no reason. Plus I refuse to play games that require a camera or $$ to play. I don't play games to provide a Revenue Stream for others...either by direct pay-to-play or by they streaming our games to get ad/subscription revenue from streaming sites. I play games to have fun....periond.

I have a Sunday Live Game (in person) and we are running Lost Mine of Phandelver. Our GM only allows SRD / Player's Handbook for characters...no additional books allowed.

I had a discussion with my Tuesday night team about this. They insist that players only need the Player's Handbook to enjoy the game. Our DM allows all official books to be used (5e). NOT A SINGLE PLAYER, other than me, is only using the Player's Handbook....they are all min/max-power-creation of their characters. At level 5, they are doing 10-30 points of damage....my Player's Handbook character is doing 6-15 points of damage. They are talking about kicking me out for having a poorly designed non-min/max character. Funny how easily they turn into assholes! They are all adults, 25-35 years old. They've admitted that they are all in competition with each other, screw being a team. Welcome to the new D&D mind-set!

TQQdles™

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. Yvnu

Yvnu Retired Captain

I'm not using cameras and i am not asking for money to run the game. For verbal communication we will be using TOG Discord. Players are free to make characters from the SRD or the Players Handbook (if they have it).

Please remove spoilers from your second paragraph.

Dolnor likes this.
  5. SLAINE

SLAINE Getting Started

I'm in as well.

6. Ninja Gizmosis

This is a free game that Yvnu is running. No one said anything about pay to play, streaming or cameras ect.

Do you know what books Yvnu is using??? Pretty harsh to post this when you dont know what he is using or what he has ready for players.

I currently play multiple DnD 5e games using Roll20 and Discord. None of these are streamed, cost money or need a camera. - I dont have a camera :)

Regards
    NG.

FaolanConall likes this.
  7. FaolanConall

FaolanConall Retired Moderator Leader

I like you, Ningy,so I'll come along and help out. Or, at the worst, mock you as only mates can :)

8. Atrak

Atrak Active Member

I'd love to join in on this Yvnu :)

9. Kirasa

Kirasa Guild Wars 2 Whip Captain

We couldn't make either of those times. Sadly Sunday is a work day :eek:

10. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

My post wasn't directed at him. I wasn't accusing him. I was remarking on my experiences and why I don't play D&D online. Also to note how my Tuesday night game players act. They've admitted that online games have influenced their live D&D gaming...that min/max characters and competition rules-the-day...and they naturally play D&D the same way.

I didn't mention that they are discussing changing to Pathfinder D&D because it is much more complex and challenging...they find 5e to be way too boring.

If I were accusing Yvnu, I would have named him. I'm sorry that my style of commenting got people mad.

TQQdles™

11. Ninja Gizmosis

Thanks for the clarification Dolnor.
    Reading your last post, I can see how things may have been misunderstood.

For me playing online is the same as playing pen and paper. My character is my character and I prefer not being super strong as I believe I can play it more realistically with lower and more reasonable stats.
    One day our worlds may align and we may be able to have a game together.... and you may meet my Kender.... a character where stats mean very little. :)

12. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I like playing in Real Life because I am a people-watcher....I pick up body languages/calculating looks/gestures. Mostly for banter between players...for smiles and ribbing! -) I am terrible on picking it up via voice only...for some reason, everyone's emotions sound the same to me.

Another facet of my playing a character....I play to what the character's strengths and weaknesses are in any given moment. Gleaned off my background and how Mordak may think the fellow members of the motley crew may act/react...."Dolnor stays out of any decisions that Mordak makes." I know that sounds impossible...but I am pretty good at never meta-playing. Example: Mordak is a neutral lawful Paladin. Neutral based on his background. Lawful because he broke it so often, he is trying something new...especially since in the vision with PELOR...it was dictated to him. SO in a fight, Mordak doesn't go rushing to "defend the weak"...he waits to make a strategic move, readying himself first...than rushing in head-long. He is Lawful, not stupid. And he can't help those in need if HE'S DEAD! -)

TQQdles™

13. Yvnu

Yvnu Retired Captain

The party is full.

14. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

FYI, Discord has new features that will help with any D&D game being played there!

Introducing the Games tab!
    See what's going on in your Discord universe - games being played, news on games you play, Spotify listening parties, and more. Read our help article to get the full scoop.

Invite links for Group DMs now exist because they should.
    You can also make empty Group DMs and start tossin out invites like you're a promoter to a an indie concert that no one really wants to go to but will because what else are they gonna do on a Tuesday night out in the BIG CIIIITTYYYY.

@everyone messages will now warn you and ask if you really want to send that message.
    People who reserve @everyone for truly important reasons have greater success later in life.

Colorblind mode begins!
    User statuses are no longer a secret for humans with different configurations.
    Turn this feature on in User Settings -> Appearance.
    You asked for this!​

TQQdles™

15. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

Dolnor, my group uses Roll20 and Discord, and it's awesome. Totally free for the players, I am subbed to Roll20 because I am working on loads of stuff and needed API access. No camera, just a mic and either speakers or better a headset.

Also, using Roll20 at a basic but decent level doesn't take long to get the handle of or any cash, and ... let macros be your friend. And Discrord is free, there's the TOG server, and others, and different games you get into will have their own too like mine do.

Dolnor likes this.