[D3] doom 3

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by WarbladE, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Well-Known Member

2. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

Coolie I have been waiting so long for the release of Doom3 or HL2, its PC upgrade time for me :D

3. Droler

Droler Just Joined

Not to drag up an old post for the sake of a one-liner....OK, that IS what this is about...

I remember going into the local PC store back in the 80's, paying $50 for a pair of MIDI cables and having the guys say "Oh, you want to play Midi-Maze on your Atari ST!"

Man, the times have changed.

http://www.fact-index.com/m/mi/midi_maze.html

Anyone else remember this? I think of it every time someone says Doom invented multiplayer deathmatch. (I know you DIDN'T actually say that, WarbladE, but it did remind of those who do. We sold a LOT of IPX cards for DOOM where I worked at the time, too!)

There I go sounding like that old man "Git off my lawn, whippersnappers!"

4. KnobGoblin

KnobGoblin Retired Captain

I think the main reason they're only supporting 4 player MP is because it'll run like an absolute stinker with more. Figures are coming in with benchmarks such as: Radeon 9800 XT @ 1024x768 (no AA, 8x Anisotropic filter) averages 45fps. Over a year ago I ran the original beta on a P4 2GHz with a GeForce2 @ 640x480 and took these screenshots: http://www.mrated.com/default.asp?thruurl=Photos/Doom III/Photos.asp ...what amazes me is that all the goodness was available to this crapola video card... take a look! (yes, the thumbnails are broken but the images are there)
    [​IMG]

Seems the monsters etc. burn away/decay pretty much on death (could be only one weapon that does that).

I've played the beta (version 2) and I'll tell you one thing. This game will scare the absolute crap out of anyone playing it. I was poopin' myself and nothing was happening onscreen.. all because of the "ambient" sounds. I had my headphones on and I could have sworn there was something very nasty standing behind me. I'm getting chills just thinking about it now! I think they should sell it with adult nappies...

Another thing I noticed about the audio (remember, this isn't the final product) was the gunfire was SO DAMN LOUD! My first pistol crack sent me diving for the volume controls on my keyboard... I suppose this is probably more realistic seeing as I was in a rather enclosed environment.

5. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Ok Knob...now I'm even more excited about it ;)

6. Easy_Beat

Easy_Beat Retired Moderator

Adelaide, SA Occupation: Fox┬┤s Muse TOG_Sponsor: $
    Definately not Easy_Beat wishing you a Happy TOGday over X-Fire. Did it to Cannonfodda yesterday, and he said he just about evacuated his bowels. I was just glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when he said it, or I'd have had a hell of a mess to clean off the screen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

Put it in last night, nice game - runs as smooth as butter on my machine.

It has good atmosphere, butI had more adrenalin pumping through my system playing DC in the training last night with Redback than Doom 3 gave me. In DC it was like this:

Warbear shoots someone after forgetting to reload his rifle - so he runs as bullets whip past him, or as he tries NOT to be seen, or hit with the grenade/rpg-7.

Warbear gets to the top of the stairs, and his heart is pounding and his body is pumped up. Lasts for a few seconds, and then goes.

In D3 it was:

OK, where am I being attacked from, bah, crawled in through a grate will ya. OK then, shotgun love for YOU!

It does have atmosphere, but for me the cinematics are fantastic, the modelling is amazing, and the fact you DO have to think about what you carry in your hand (IE torch or gun) make it a good game.

I am going to love the game, but it's been over hyped,

8. Droler

Droler Just Joined

I agree with the fact it's over-hyped.

But it is a new benchmark in graphics. It sets a whole new bar.

I can't wait to see how Half-Life 2 looks, now...

9. KnobGoblin

I agree, it has been overhyped but after playing through quite a chunk of the game (6 hours so far) it does give me the willies. At the start it was about "impending doom" but where I am now it comes down to "OK, what is going spring out of the wall to make me jump?" ...and you DO jump! They also have the "spooky voice" thing down pat. I wandered into an innocent looking corridor and heard "over hear" whispered in my ear. I turned around. Of course there was nothing. Then my vision went all red (3rd time in the game now) and there was a baby crying and a woman weeping saying "they took my baby". In the red vision section I could hardly move (like a bad dream!) to turn around to where the voice was and by the time I made it there I'd gone back to my regular vision... and nothing was there. :)

Anyway, I've been taking happy snaps along the way and currently have 180 screenshots at http://www.mrated.com/doom3

10. ledge

ledge Getting Started

Damn it sounds cool! Unfortunately, it's been so long in the works and the release date so uncertain I won't upgrade until I see it on the shelves, coz the technology is going to change so much in the meantime. :x

11. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Not sure WTF is going on with this, but I gave it a burl tonight.

On my machine (BIOS modded 9800XT) it runs 1280x1024 res with no AA and high graphics at anywhere between 20-80fps. Then all of a sudden you open a door and the entire game crawls at 2fps for about 5 seconds before returning to normal routines.

Is this dragging of feet indicative of the game loading up into memory?

I've never really enjoyed single player FPS games, only wanted to go through it for the sake of the storyline. As my shooting is horrendously bad I've just enabled God mode and enjoying the scenery and story now. The critters are an annoyance that slows me down in the story. :)

Incidentally to get the FPS up and active on your computer:
    CTRL+ALT+~ <brings up the console>
    com_showfps 1 <shows the FPS on the top RH corner)
    com_showfps 0 <removes the FPS on the top RH corner)
    God <not telling you! :p>

12. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I haven't bought this yet, but it sounds to me like another game I used to play...you guys ever play the original Theif? Talk about some freaky ambient sounds...and it was the anti-FPS game...you had to sneak around mobs instead of running in and gunning..if you did that you died immediately...now that game used to scare the freakin hell outta me.

13. KnobGoblin

It IS on the shelves! 'twas released on Tuesday. :)

14. Droler

Droler Just Joined

It's on the shelf now!

15. Raest

Raest Well-Known Member

Yeah its the game loading the textures in. Very noticeable when in Ultra-High quality even on my 256mb X800 - go thru any door it'll drop to single digits for a couple of seconds then back to smooth as a babies butt. Even when I was playing on high quality first time you load into a level you could see the FPS drop. At least ID have been sensible and not made levels that you load into with monsters there as soon as you spawn in.

16. Raest

Raest Well-Known Member

True, but Theif required "strategy" :D

17. Howitzer

Howitzer Well-Known Member

I'm loving it! Running at 1024 X 768 with high texture on a 1.7GHZ P4 512MB memory and a TI 4600 128mb vid card. I've heard that Nvidia cards run OpenGL better then the ATI's. I have a little lag in-game but the better graphics is worth it. I noticed some stops for a couple of seconds when opening doors. But only after many hours of play. Also my Maxtor 80G HDD 7200rpm 8MG buffer is one of the faster standard ATA drives out. So virtual memory issues may be effected by this.

I actually played till 5:00am this morning. Havn't done that in a while. Multiplayer has a long way to go. I messed around a couple of times on-line. But the guys running the servers with 0 ping. Own everybody else. I'm averaging pings around 150 with 4 people in-game. I was running around 50 yesterday with only one other guy. I'm also running at a lower resolution on-line to help the game run smoother. But testing it several times at different resolutions doesn't seem to alter the ping that much.

Anybody forsee DOOM 3 ARENA? :twisted:

18. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Exactly...that was the other part I loved about it...it was so original in its day...and the graphics were superb at the time as well ;)

19. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

I've noticed that door opening lag all the time with an ATI 9800Pro, Athlon 2800+ and 1GB RAM using high quality. I checked, and it isn't hard drive thrashing, its just probably textures loading from RAM to Video RAM, I'm guessing. I wish there was a way to stop it. Sometimes the game almost freezes for a second or two. Other than those annoying door opening glitches, I'm loving the game.

20. KnobGoblin

Yep, getting the same thing with a very similar hardware setup. As I've mentioned elsewhere I tried the whole "unpack the PAK files so they textures load faster" but it seemed to do NOTHING to improve the problem, just waste another 4.5GB on my HD.

I keep thinking it may be a bug they can fix in a patch but surely they would have encountered this problem in testing.