[D3] Finally finished!!

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Rickety, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Well, I finally finished Doom3 on Veteran difficulty level. What a GREAT game!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the entire game (unlike HL which had an end game that blew major chunks). I know there was some players that didn't like how the flashlight was not equiped to a weapon but to be honest it was never an issue and was just one of the many things I really liked about the game.

In conclussion, one of the best single player games I've played since System Shock 2 and I have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone that likes a challenging FPS with an entertaining storyline thown in for good measure.

Two thumbs up to ID software!

2. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

I just finished...

I'd have to say it's one of the best ever games I've played.
    Certainly it lacked the impact of earlier games...those that had the fortune of being the first ever of thier type, but id have built upon that and done a pretty darn good job.

Highlights were:
    The eye candy.
    The level of detail in the construction of the Mars base (over and above just eye candy)
    The mechanics such as cranes and other machinery
    Greatly improved textures
    The PDA and videos. Small productions in themsleves.
    Animation
    Little touches like the Martian Buddy website...go on, you did visit it?
    Scared the crappola out of me quite often.
    The humour, yes the humour. Little "in-jokes" such as the chainsaw.
    and lastly, and probably really really important was the sound effects. True talent that!

On the downside:
    A little tired of corridor warriors
    Too many large crates in rooms with small doors, apart from too just too many crates and barrels.
    The game played a little like a haunted house on steroids
    Lava. And even more lava.

3. Major_Mess

Major_Mess Retired Captain

How did you guys put up with the lack of variety? In the first coouple of levels it was sort of OK - there were a couple of ways to finish areas. But after that there seems to be more and more corridors and small rooms offering no alternatives, with monsters spawning, and that's it. The same thing over and over, and over, and over, and over again. :)

I really think ID don't really care about the game play of Doom3 and are hoping to make their money from selling the engine, which may have great possibilities. That said even the engine seems to not be quite finished. The rag doll sucks, check out America's Army for a better experience, and an all round more realistic enviroment. Just seems they are a bit late and doesn't quite have the impact it should have.

4. Rickety

An interesting view point MM. One I disagree with. I never really took much note of the the 'rag doll' physics as so many other games have this. To me it was just the overall 'fee'l of the graphics were simply better than anything I have seen so far. I cannot really put it any better than that.

When I picked up Doom3 I was hoping for simply a rehashed version of the previous games. Simply Doom1/2 with better graphics. What I got was not only better graphics but an entirely entertaining storyline/experience.

I think many of us look at the game with a very technical eye rather than just play the game. I never found the game at any time to be repatative and was 'living' each area from moment to moment. Just me I guess ...

5. Wayfarer

Yes and no.
    Certainly for me, the corridors seemed endless, I expected more outdoors stuff just to break it up a little. Perhaps a space jump or something would have been good.

It's no secret id were building a game engine and Doom3 was the selling tool.

And, yes the eye-candy is not that far ahead of, say FarCry, but then Doom3 was delayed for a bit too, eh? and in the face paced world of game dev....

What's Rag Doll, master?

6. Rickety

OK , OK ... I conceed, the jumping out of dark corners were a tad excessive but overall it never really bothered me that much.

'Rag Doll' physics is a graphic feature whereby objects, notably copses of fallen enemies/yourself', collapse/fall in a 'lifeless' movement. That is, if you throw a rag doll on the bed and watch it slide of. It was once an important feature listed on new graphics engines but today I consider it standard. The best implememtation of this I have seen in a game so far is Max Payne 2.

7. Wayfarer

Ta for that.