DAOC: Epic MMORPG TOG EPIC Thread 134 views per post! Share your thoughts!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Sytes, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/mmorpg-games-realms/66328-daoc-character-thread.html
    This boils down to 134 views of each post!

This has to be one of the few EPIC threads of TOG.

It certainly presents the interest DAOC held... It identifies the epic nature of the MMO.

What made DAOC such an EPIC MMORPG? Why did you leave? Would you join a DAOC II? If so, what would be the criteria that would solidify you joining?

If producers / developers read your post - in a brief statement, what would you advise them of - from a player's persepective? (clarify rants to constructive criticism that would be reasonable to evaluate)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

No chain mez, espescially entire groups at once for several minutes. :)

3. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

Three factional realm based warfare (natural balancing effect), and fun/interesting keep capture mechanisms, backed up with rich lore based PvE game (lending identity to each faction), and well designed dungeons, coupled with more than one reason to participate in the PvP areas (quests, mobs, dungeons), while presenting an easy and no-consequence way for people to try the PvP without feeling too threatened and ultimately finding out how fun it is, without taking away from the fun PvE for those who only want to do that.

Thats the once sentence view from me (although it could probably have been split into multiple :p).

Thats not to mention interesting classes, what still remains for me to be one of the best combat systems in any game (reactionary attacks and combo chains with special attacks rather than "abilities"), and interesting/diverse magic.

In short, the game is pure awesome, and the only thing that lets it down is dated graphics, a clunky UI and a lack of population.

4. ketsum

ketsum Active Member

I still miss DAOC and would love nothing more than a true sequel to the game.

5. Kezzbot

Kezzbot Getting Started

What made DAOC great was great innovation, they really set the bar high!

There where 20 different races to choose from, 46 classes to choose from! huge RvR battles, RvR castle sieges, alternative advancement and the combat was challenging (thats a good thing)

Not like most of the mmos we see today, its like they where following some formula out of a book. And instead of setting the bar higher they set it lower.... i mean what the hell?

I started playing right from the start and had a max level Armsman speced for polarm pvp and all imbued master crafted armor (best) and left when allot of players left when the first major expansion came out which made my characters gear redundant.

Sure i would like to see a DAOC 2, if they brought out a game with all new engine and it had all of the things i noted above but improved on them as well, SWTOR level story telling and brought some new and fresh ideas to the table, you would have a killer game and i would be there with bells on. :)

6. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

7. Trikki

Trikki Just Joined

I miss DAoC too but I'm hoping Guild Wars 2 will have something similar as it has World vs World (vs World) battles (3 Servers against each other) in an open area like the Frontiers.

Of course it doesn't have 46 classes but despite the rose coloured glasses I still remember how bad a job they did at balancing that game, the nerfs were ridiculous and Atlantis was the destruction of their own game. I still shudder at the idea of the collecting and levelling of Artifact items.

8. merwood

merwood Active Member

Aside from the atlantis and class balance that literally did this game over .

I still think DAOC is the best pvp mmo to this day . sure it didn't have the pve like eq.
    But were amazing at innovation in the rvr and classes and the 3 realm warfare system made the relic raids epic .

It's a shame to see innovation in mmo's these days be subpar and you figure with more technology and mmo's being more streamlined and more people wanna get into it the innovation would be amazing.

I think the fact is for me based on my experience the best innovatiers we had were back when mmo's were a rare niche market.

Personally hopeing for a daoc 2 but I'm not holding my breath . mmo's have lost their ambition to be innovative since world of warcraft because investers want mega billions of cash with as little as investment as possible.

9. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

Indeed merwood, I fully agree that I have yet to experience a PvP experience anywhere near close to the fun I had playing RvR in DAoC.

You are also mostly right on the innovation front, however there are a few indie developers looking to take a risk on new ideas. It certainly isn't going to be an easy ride for them!

I am of course slightly biased though ;)

10. Katchfire

Katchfire Just Joined

I am still playing DAOC, the server is abit dead during the day but now all the servers are in one there is alot of players still out in rvr every night

11. Sloth101

Sloth101 Just Joined

I was just breaking my Everquest addiction when this came out and took a break in favor of single player games for a while. I was happy to see the post since it reminded me of the game and of course I promptly setup a Friar.

Graphics aside it is truly amazing how much more this has to offer than a lot of the current games. What happened to the creativity and pushing the envelope that existed back then?

12. Gorne

Gorne Well-Known Member

So after chatting with a couple people and looking at some of the new videos on camelotherald.com it got me interested so I have ressurrected my old accounts and toons. Is anyone still playing? If so do we have a guild anywhere?

I used to play Midgard - Lost Vikings - Lancelot