diamonds and tools

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Akira Doe, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

This may not be the correct thread, but do you know if tools will ever be able to be crafted from obsidian? Diamond is just so time consuming to find...

2. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Notch and Jens have been asked about that for a long time. Their normal response is that they aren't planning to add variations of the existing tools. However with the item enchantments you can make the tools more durable or more effective (cf. Enchanting - Minecraft Wiki). You can also repair worn weapons to help them go that little bit further (cf. Item Repair - Minecraft Wiki).

As for finding diamonds so you can make the tools, that is all part of the game I'm afraid. I never found diamonds in the 6 months I spent in the Survival world we used to have. We may allow diamond tools to be spawned on Sanctuary, like we did in the final weeks of the original Creative world. We will just have to see. There will be no spawning of items on Frontier, so that will just require hard work.

Sorontar

3. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

The repair sounds nice.

I only found a dozen or less. Kept it locked in a chest only for obsidian to make all those portals. Otherwise lots and lots of stone picks for all the buildings and tunnels I made.

4. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

To be honest, i've only ever used stone to iron for the minerals. It's only now that I've been playing on the ToG server that I even found any diamond.

5. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

It has been posted before, but I think it is appropriate

ps. Moved this discussion to its own thread.

6. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

There are several videos about how to mine for diamonds. Essentially you need to be at the correct level (I think 5-6 blocks above the indestructible blocks) and mine tunnels in such a way that you don't risk to miss any diamond sources.

7. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I reckon I found diamonds on 90% of my playing nights(when I went mining), just have a knack for finding them, so I see the giving away of diamond tools as taking away from my gameplay.

Not played other than 5 mins trying from a laptop for about a month now. Neither server suits me at the moment. One is too small, restricted, giving away diamond etc, the other too unstable and too hard. Four of my last 5 long plays ended in semi-rage quitting at dying with a full inventory(and losing it), including diamonds on each occasion. That and the enchantment type stuff is losing my interest. Oh and BF3 is here. :D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

My simple strategy was look for lava, plus redstone and other ores, then do some strip mining. Rarely failed me.

Also as you walk through caves at that level, look behind as well.

Abandoned mines at lava level can uncover them too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  9. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

10. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

how I do it, dig straight down (2 wide hole with loads of ladders, helps if you singy digy digy hole)

then dig the main tunnel, this is usually 3x3 just so it's more impressive.
    then every 2 dig a new tunnel, so it's
    TBTBTBTBTBTBTB

this way you find any diamonds fairly easily, also if your like me and you then get slimes spawn, you just clear mine that area to get even more diamonds and slimes, lol

Headly likes this.
  11. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Surely if you want to minimise the amount of digging to do, you would mine a tunnel every three blocks:
    TBBTBBTBBTBBTB
    That will reveal every block with a lot less effort.

Sorontar

12. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

I've been doing that (Sorontar's method) for a while, well I had been. I've got a nice collection, I'm just trying to find the best way to secure it (not that I don't trust people, I just thing hidden trapdoors, stairs and other redstone stuff is cool :p).

I guess the reason I was asking was for those few days all I was doing was mining and made no progress on anything else.

As has been said, it is Minecraft...

13. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Actually you can even go every fourth block for the tunnels. It's very unlikely that a mineral vein doesn't spread out in the plane, meaning that it will be seen from the tunnels, even if some of it is hidden in the middle (and you will get to it anyway when you start digging what's visible of the vein).

(BBBTBBBTBBBTBBB)

14. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I can vouch for this, he is a diamond finding machine! :)

15. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

I do the full 100% exposure method, usually start something like 5-6 above bedrock:

SSS#SSS#S
    S#S#S#S#S
    S#SSS#SSS

I usually cut a primary hallway about 3x3 then do that pattern along the walls on either side. It the 100% contact method. No chance of missing anything as you see every block surface.

If Im not taking my time I do the same thing but spread out:

SSSSS#SSSSSSS#S
    S#SSS#SSS#SSS#S
    S#SSSSSSS#SSSSS

I believe I read somewhere its considered like 90% efficient as usually all ore veins travel at least 2+ blocks and this will catch veins.

I can get diamond but just I don't usually get enough for the level of tunneling etc I have been known to do :D

16. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I am confused. Is the pattern from looking down (which mine is) or is it looking at a wall? Is S=stone and #=dig?

Sorontar

17. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

It's looking at the wall, and yes, S is stone and # is dig. Although his has too much digging. You can get 100% with this:

Code:
    ### ### ### ###
    # ### ### ### #
    ### ### ### ###

(Each tunnel is 2 blocks high). With this method, you're only digging every 3 blocks on each row, rather than every 2nd block on the middle rows.

edit:
    Ok, just made a quick mock-up example, and to show where each block is visible from. Although, if you're running with default textures, it can be hard to see diamond in the 'roof' sections with this method, and in those cases, Misnik's is better because every block is visible from a wall or floor in his, although it means 25% more digging. Though, I use high visibility diamond texture (I use the RPG diamond in the Painterly pack) so its not usually in issue for me.

[​IMG]

If you want to see a massive mine with this method - go to the old Survival server, and under my building which has the monster spawner (and creeper face!), is one of these around 200 blocks long and 200 deep or so.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I do similar but clear it from the top bedrock layer as high as I can mine from the ground and cut long shafts every 3rd row. Lets you see everything. Eventually I'll add another layer or two on top with 2 thick floor. Technically you don't see every single block but you know the floor under you is good this way and the odds of a veign being so small and aligned not to see anywhere is pretty low. Also I don't carve out all the bedrock anymore like I used to. Too time consuming, its more lucrative to clear the other way and search a much larger area faster.

I'll also carve out a few really big hallways in a big "+" around the ladder base. Setup furnaces chests and stuffs at the center and if the mine gets large enough, mine carts that go out from that so I can get around fast enough. ;)

19. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

And to think, the first 30 diamond I mined was randomly digging at the bottom level then turning left or right and going up and down... I don't know if anyone has ever ventured down in the mine under my "house" near spawn, but if you do, bring enough supplies in case you get list like I usually do...

Co-ords and waypoints are no help either...