Divinity: Original Sin 2

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Cromulent, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2

Anyone else backing this Kickstarter?

The first Divinity: Original Sin was one of my favourite games of 2014, and I was really glad I backed it. The next one looks even more ambitious, with a truly inspired 4 player "competitive coop" system, where one moment you can be teaming up with your friends against a common enemy, and the next, stabbing them in the back (or poisoning them, selling them out to the guards, murdering their mother, etc).

2. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Backing kickstarter projects...never...but i will be buying the game on release date. Angry Joe Show had a preview:

3. 2_islands

2_islands Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late! Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I'm currently playing Divinity: Original Sins (1). Similar to Hadrian I'll stay away from the kickstarter but buy the game on release.

4. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

Chris Avellone has joined the writing team for this project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1363117

For those who don't know, Chris Avellone is probably the most well-regarded RPG writer in the industry, and is developing a reputation as a "human stretch goal" on Kickstarter projects. He was the lead designer of Planescape: Torment, and worked on Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, to name a few.

5. 2_islands

2_islands Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late! Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Cromulent, you're twisting my arm. I feel my desire growing. I'm now researching the kickstarted amounts. I really enjoy the original.

You are naughty.

6. xenoph

xenoph Well-Known Member

They said it (1) would be released for Linux in the Kickstarter, prompting many Linux users to chip in. It is still not out (supposed to come with the enhanced version....).

I wanted the game for a while, but I'll never help fund anything from Larian unless they redeem themselves somehow.

7. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

How did I go so long before playing D:OS? Just finished the first game and it was amazing. Now waiting for the 2nd to be finished.

8. Avonus

Avonus Active Member

Not long to go now. Epic Pizza on the way

9. bestellen

bestellen Just Joined

I really enjoy the original too.

10. Vortigen

Vortigen Well-Known Member

Got it on release day and am carefully looking into the rather overwhelming choices of classes and party compositions :)

I -think- I will reroll as Sybille (for the origin story and her Elf racial of corpse eating) and spec her as a heavy duty 2 handed dps. I think that's the Knight.

Then I'd recruit the Red Prince as my sword&board tank guy (i think he stays true to his original vocation then). He should be a Fighter or Knight then I assume.

Fane the undead guy as some kind of spellcaster. But no clue on what type yet....wizard? conjurer? A bit of healing perhaps??

Lastly Fezid as a rogue or shadowblade. Probably rogue.

11. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

A pyrokinetic wizard seems optimal for the Red Prince. Or at least a fighter that dips into pyro.

Fane could be a spellcaster, but a standard healer build would be a rather bad fit, both in terms of RP and mechanics, because healing spells (and potions) damage undead. Instead, poison heals them. Necromancy spells and the Leech talent work on both the living and the undead though. So the best 'healing' build for Fane would be geomancy and necromancy. He can heal by poisoning himself (but watch out for fire, which makes poison surfaces 'splode).

12. brain goop

brain goop Active Member

Anyone playing multiplayer at all? If anyone is looking for an extra player to try it out - feel free to give me a shout - my steam username is the same as on this forum. Cheers!

13. Alstead

Alstead Active Member

I made Fane my shadow. With him as the thief, he doesn't need lockpicks. Also, he keeps all poisons with him for healing/attacking. Besides, I RP him as someone who could avoid crowds and sneak around since he wears masks and can't be seen.

14. Ghoull

Ghoull Active Member

Bloody hell this game is like crack. SO many late nights!

15. Thymos

Thymos Elder Scrolls Online Officer

That Steam bundle is very tempting. About 90 USD for all Divinity games.

16. Thymos

I ended up picking up Original Sin 2 by itself, and damn there is just so much interaction with everything. Walking by the wrong person can mess you up, while having the wrong person initiate a conversation with a NPC can be extremely detrimental, or a fantastic boon.

I chose to start as Lohse as a shadowblade, because why not. I think I'm going to start over as something much easier, and not Lohse as primary origin. Her problems are just too great. I like playing rogue or shadowblade, and I think I will go with Sibelle this time.

I also gotta remember to pick up the ability to talk to animals, because there are a LOT of animals.

My setup from my first try was Lohse as a shadowblade, Red Prince as his default Fighter, Fane as his default wizard I think, and Sibelle as a Cleric. I think I will drop the Cleric the next go round, and go with another melee or a wayfarer.

Maybe Sibelle Rogue, Red Prince Knight, Lohse Enchanter, and Ifan Ranger. Lohse can be brought up as a CC with some heal ability. I almost am considering trading Red Prince for Beast, but will do that in a different play through.

17. Ghoull

Ghoull Active Member

Don't forget teleport gloves and/or polymorph wings. That mobility is absoutely essential I reckon.

18. Thymos

Oh yeah, gloves in the beginning, the spell later so you can wear better gloves.

I tried the balanced party, and it didn't work out. Now my whole party is physical damage focused. Sibelle as a single dagger, free offhand Shadowblade, Red Prince as a Knight wielding whatever 2hander is best, Lohse with a wand and shield as a Conjurer (summons do the damage), and Fane with dual weapons as a BattleMage. Almost all the spells anyone has are for buff/debuff purposes only. Lohse is still the healer as a Conjurer, I just had her pick up hydro for that. Fane can heal himself with necromancy and poisons. I had the Red Prince pickup pyro for some buffs like clear mind and haste and more fire based abilities, mainly to ignite explosives.

I realized that potions and leeching weapons are probably the best way to stay healed up until you get to higher level heal spells. So most of the heal spells are taken just to get rid of debuffs.