DLC Annoyance

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Ancient_One, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I have to admit I'm getting a little pissed off with the fact games ship with more content on the disk only accessible by making further purchases or more DLC releases again requiring further purchases.

You buy a game thinking you have a complete game only to find out that for more money they will unlock the additional content which is already available on the disk.

Lets take Lego Batman 3 - Beyond Gotham as an example.

Purchased for $69 it came with bonus code:
    Batman of the Future Pack
    Pre-order bonus Rainbow Character Pack

I thought that was a complete purchase.

Now I have just received an email saying if I buy the Season Pass for $22.95 I get a further 6 packs:

Dark Knight Pack
    Batman 75th Anniversary
    Man of Steel
    Arrow
    Bizarro World Pack
    Plus one more yet-to-be-announced pack!

Why didn't they just sell the game at a higher price with the other content included or unlocked.

What are peoples thoughts on the subject?

2. Zudalian

Zudalian Retired Captain

This is a very big issue with me also.

I bought the new Metal Gear game for $40 thinking "For that price.. there will be a decent amount of gameplay". Sadly I was mistaken and 2 hrs later I was looking at the credits rolling saying "You Win" and further investigation found out it was only a prequal with the full game being released later and no code to download it when it was released.

Frankly AAA gaming is giving me the royal CENSORED currently with all this "DLC" rubbish. They should just release a full game and be done with it and I have let devs know when I see feedback links that exact thing.

The other pet gripe I have is this "Always Online" rubbish... But that is another thing completely.

3. burnx

burnx Well-Known Member

Yes this is indeed annoying and just feels like game publishers are just milking gamers for every penny they can get.

No way they will sell a game with everything already unlocked upfront for a higher price as it will just make gamers realize there are numerous disabled content in the cheaper one.

By just selling the base game for only USD60 or whatever, allows publisher to get the most sales. Then adding on the DLC sales later makes it seems like they are adding value to a game for a small fee.

The real way to combat this is just to wait for the game to be discounted or be on offer with all the DLCs included for the same or lower price. A lot of games doesn't need to be played on launch and if gamers exercise some patience, can save a bit of cash too.

4. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Problem with this is the trophies where you need to achieve certain things online gaming with others to get them. If you're late to the game everyone has moved on to other newer games leaving you to play by yourself and never achieving the Platinum. That's if you care about that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  5. burnx

burnx Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't care about them :p

But I understand your point though. It is with these time limited achievements that game publishers want gamers to shoot for.

Sadly most big game publisher are doing this as it works, as much as many gamers don't like it, there are even more that does like it or doesn't mind.

6. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

I think you will find (like I did) that there is no carry over from the prequel to the full release, they essentail sold us a $50 demo / sneak peak. Think of how much the retailers make off that when you trade in and they sell for 100% profit.

Also look at the huge issues with Destiny as well!

At least if you follow the CSG team they are back and have reaslised thier fan base 25-40+ and are making a game that is the complete game with one purchase price, just like how it should be!

GSC Game World

7. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I've stopped buying games at launch, not worth it. Large publishers just don't care about their fan base and launch everything buggy as hell, missing content or just being way overhyped and failing to deliver. Much better off just waiting for reviews, patches, price drops and possible GOTY editions with DLC included especially since games don't hold their price at all these days. It's really a buyers market, there's so many games to play these days I think it's best to vote with your wallet.

As for Ground Zeroes it was way overpriced, the PC launch price is a bit more reasonable at $20.

That said I don't understand how people got burnt by it, like do you not do any research at all before making a purchase? There's so much info out there about the length of it, every review mentions it and it was never marketed as a full game, they stated right from the get go that it was designed to bridge the gap between Peace Walker and Phantom Pain.

BTW if you have GZ you get a free DLC for Phantom Pain which has some resources for motherbase, character skins also carry over and any prisoners and soldiers you extracted will be available at motherbase. Weapon unlocks may carry over as well though not sure.

Also I should point out that in regards to GSC, almost none of the original team remain so I wouldn't get too excited :p Most of them moved on to either 4A or Vostok Games. Would kill for another STALKER game but not going to get my hopes up.

8. Zudalian

Zudalian Retired Captain

You mean pay $130 AU for the Limited Edition game that not only isn't finished but has a 10 year plan... and only be offered $20-25 back after you play it and realise that it just isn't cricket?

9. BattlePsyche

BattlePsyche Getting Started

I no longer buy games I see with substantial story-related DLC content unless there's a complete package deal available (and said deal doesn't exceed $50 USD). Season passes don't count for that.

I define substantial as, say, the Omega DLC in Mass Effect 3 (if you pay attention to conversations with Aria, you can clearly see it was something meant to be in the game from the beginning); basically, anything that contributes to the unfolding plot of the story or character development.

I don't buy any of the multiplayer DLC. I've been a gamer for far too long and, I suppose, "spoiled" by the amazing selection of (free) community modifications to give into paying mucho buckos for 3 maps every month or so. I know I'm talking about the PC world here, but I think the same applies. What the industry does there is definitely nickle and diming their audience.

If that means I miss out on a great game/gaming experience, oh well! I saved some money, and I voted with my wallet.

and I'm never touching Destiny after I read their initial contract agreement/requirement with Activision years ago. That thing is designed to take gamers' money and run off laughing to the bank.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014