Do Console TOGers need some privacy?

Discussion in 'Secret Squirrel Console Club House (Private, Hidde' started by Pure Mongrel, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Well-Known Member

Just want to get your reactions. Do you think more TOGers would be inclined to organize events if the console division (or part there of) was private?

Does anyone feel the public nature of our division is turning away some TOGers?

2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

No and No.

The whole idea of moving it here was to increase interest and participation from the outside to bolster our numbers.

I myself have not seen much in the way of spam/in appropriate posts so I don't feel that the threads are being unduly targeted in this way.

Not sure why the push towards secrecy again.

3. George

George Well-Known Member

Same Same. But i think that's because of all the heart ache it caused moving it to the public section in the first place.

All that being said, i go with what ever the DC, VDC & SL's want to do.

4. Pure Mongrel

Just to give you some points to ponder. (Except for the MMO reason, I am not advocating that we must go private. That being said, I have no problem with it going private either.)

We are about to have our first MMO on the PS3. If we form a guild, (which I am hoping to do) that will need some privacy.

There is more interest for GT5 in Pit lane than there is in the console division. (Admittedly not a great number, but by old time TOGers who we rarely (if ever) see in the console division.

I know there are many TOGers that have consoles that don't get involved in our division and I would wager that being "public" may be a reason.

(I may be wrong though ;))

5. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss Staff Member Moderator

I know most Wii players don't have an issue...but we only have a handful of games that have online capability. Maybe have a private section just for the mmo if you do form a guild? With a public sign up and information section?

6. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

I think that the extra public exposure is probably worth a bit of sacrificed privacy. It gives the public a chance to see what TOG is about/like without having to sign up. While our division's off topic debates may suffer for being public, I still believe that those who post here represent the TOG spirit very gracefully.

As far as organizing events, again I think the exposure is worth it. If we can get some non-TOGGERs to post their info and join in on an event, then maybe we can get them to stick around and contribute after.

Anyway, just my thoughts.;)

7. Pure Mongrel

Well considering my current "thoughts" on DCUO ... I don't think we need to bother with a private guild area. :(

8. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

Got an invite from a total stranger. None TOGGER as far as I can see. I know that a few people are still concerned about the list being in a public place slowing people to request to be your friend.

You have to do back ground checks all the time these days to ensure the person your adding is in fact who they claim to be.

9. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

@A_1: I don't accept friend notices unless:
    (a) They identify themselves as TOG (or I recognise them from TOG)
    (b) They're recommended by (eg, friends of) other TOGgers
    or
    (c) sometimes if I've been in a good session (say for example, doing challenges) I'll add (or accept) a stranger who's been playing well and cooperatively/competitively.

I don't accept random invites.

As for PM's original question, no I don't think so. TBH, I often forget we're in a public forum until one of these questions comes up. I understand the need for guild privacy, and in those cases, we can set up a private section specifically for that as necessary. (After all, the clubhouse is a private section - consider this the TOGcc admin guild ;))

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  10. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

I accepted a non-togger invite on Saturday. We had been squad mates in BC2 for about 3 hours. Only thing is, he was Japanese and I couldn't understand a word he was saying to me. We still rocked, so naturally I'm going to squad up with him any chance I get. :D

On the other hand, I've had my own brother-in-law drop me from his friend's list because my tag is Anonymus....

11. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Oh, is THAT who that is? ;)

I always have "TOG:Cadder" set in the comment of my PSN. (as if Cadder_au isn't obvious enough)

12. George

George Well-Known Member

Who's Cadder_au??????? :)

As for friends requests, i don't think i've had any randoms. I'm probably not good enough