Duel Masters & Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by RedMan, Aug 12, 2004.

1. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Who here plays them.

There currently is, as I am aware
    Duel Masters
    Yu-gi-oh
    Magic : The Gathering.

That said, me kids gotten Duel Masters, and I love playing him at it...
    So, naturally I went seeking the online version to kick the Loser Bennetts butt (who lost to my 5 year old son).

There is also a MMO for Magic the Gathering, or, an app that gives all cards to build your deck and play online via IP (last one being free). Haven't tried that one though.

No idea about Yu-gi-oh.

In short, me and Bennett have been 'dueling' it out and throwing insults at each other (which is the more fun I don't know yet, I'm tending towards insults)

If you have no idea about these games...
    Duel Masters : www.duelmasters.com there is a short online tute, its all 'flash' or something though, but the tute explains it.
    Magic : The Gathering www.wizards.com There is a indepth downloadable tute, or, there is a free server you can run the MMO on.

2. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

I sold my Magic collection in 2001, for $1800 USD (good profit!). It is definitely one of the most enaging games I've every experience the game design was absolutely fantastic, and the strategic complexity went very very deep. I played alot from 1995 to about 2000, when I was in Rochester (USA)... where in fact the 'Rochester Draft' style of tournament was born. Played regularly against the then US National Champion, Dennis Bentley.

But the game had two signficant problems in my opinion.

i) The element of luck.
    No matter how much preparation you did, how much thought you put into your deck construction, how long you'd spent playtesting your deck and tweaking your sideboard, you could still get screwed by a poor draw. This game was not suitable for 'professional' tournament play, no matter how much they adjusted the rules to try and reduce the luck factor.

ii) Shameless over-marketing.
    Wizards of the Coast destroyed this game for me by mercilessly trying to squeeze every penny they could out of their playerbase. They rushed out poorly thought out expansions, pouring more and more cards in the market, making it harder and much more expensive to compete against top-players (which is the best way to play, in my opinion!).

I participated in the Magic Online beta for as long as it lasted, and actually had quite a good time - got a nice collection going and had some really fun games. It's well designed. But then when it went retail, they decided to charge the same price for a pack of online cards as they did for a pack of real ones. Haven't played since....

Still, miss the game alot - really enjoyed the deck design aspect of it. I came up with some weird ones :)

3. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Yup
    I noticed the "having to buy cards" for the online version and thought WFT!

Just a mo, I'll pull up the link.
    http://www.shadowdimension.com/duelmasters_online.php

You might've used the apprentice application, sofar I haven't tried it out. Bennett and I have been using DM Civilizations for our games.
    Duel Master is Magic but Simple, yet still highly tactical.

You probably have less 'luck' in Duel Masters, as you no longer have "land cards". Instead, all you do is turn one of the cards you have upside down, and there you have it. Mana.
    So, instead of unluckily drawing (or luckily, haven't played Magic that much) 5 land cards. You have to tactically choose which creature you want to put into mana, and which to summon.

If you download DM Civilizations, and the two image files. Bennett or I would show you how to play. But watch out, Bennett now uses worms. Fearsome things.

Nothing compared to my little guy with pointy goggles.

[edit : oh, and overmarketting.. not sure with DM, it was made to say "F'You" to Yu-gi-oh. And its, well, very hard to describe. Picture Wizards of the Coast acting real immature and making fun of Yu-gi-oh. The game itself seems not overly marketed. They branched more into TV and comics etc rather than overdo the game.]

4. GhostDog

Just been taking a look around the Magic Online site to see what's changed. Heaps more cards for sale by the look of it... bloody sharks :evil:

Stumbled across one of my old friends... in my day I was a Master at using Phasing to it's full effect...

[​IMG]

*sigh*, I miss her so :)

5. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Bah, here's my little guy with goggles, hang on... is that a boob...

[​IMG]

Otherwise..
    Competition of the woman there's Vampire Silphy
    http://www.wizards.com/duelmasters/...s&rarity=Allrarities&output=summary&sort=name

Fear the worms...
    http://www.wizards.com/duelmasters/...s&rarity=Allrarities&output=summary&sort=name

Alas, I only have one official worm... Bennett the prick has more.
    Oh, don't need to buy cards for the above apps either, they have all of em, me and Bennett just play 'officially' with cards we do have.

6. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Yep, I'm having a ball with this game atm. The opportunity for insult is also greatly rewarding. Particularly more so when you're playing someone who cheats a lot. ;) :D

Personally I like the element of chance/luck. I'd actually prefer there to be a little bit more of it in Duel Masters. But meh, still enjoying it heaps. And I got cards too. Wifey bought me a few ... who am I to complain? :D

Oh, and I've got two super rares. :D

7. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Bah, surely some others must play something.
    Half of us have kids. I think :?

:mrgreen:

So, do we have fresh blood Ghostdog?

8. GhostDog

Not at the moment, sorry :(

Very into America's Army
    + Very into PlanetSide again
    + Still playing Zero Hour (want to get TOG tourney going)
    + Just received Chaos League from friend in the UK
    + Thinking about Doom 3
    + LotR: BfME on the horizon
    + Battlefield2 on the far horizon

= more than completely maxed out on the gaming front.

Love to get involved, just haven't got the time.

9. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

I used to play magic the gathering in cards and the PC version prior to the paid internet version. I also got the PC version of Dragon Dice for those who remember there was a dice collectable game too.

Gave me hours of fun and really taught me the rules of playing Magic the Gathering.

10. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Version prior to the paid version?
    Is that the apprentice app in the link above?

11. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander