EA Possibly Looking at Subscription Model for Future Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

SOURCE EA Possibly Looking at Subscription Model for Future Shooters - AusGamers.com

Thoughts?

2. AlphaGamma

AlphaGamma Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Omg, really?

3. Draadnor

Draadnor Well-Known Member

I refuse to continually pay for a game (it is one of the reasons I don't play MMORG's). I especially will not do so for any EA game!

4. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw some recent articles naming the Battlefield series possibly being subscription based. Would certainly lose me as a customer if that were to happen.

5. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

they've toe dipped with BF play4free.

Activision has started their premium content subs for COD on consoles (but not PC)

Its only a matter of time. I dare say we will become used to this and complain but ultimately be left with no choice...much like we are in accepting unfinished products at release date.;)

6. Ange

Ange Active Member

After the epic fail of BF3, I think EA really need to sit down and work on games that are actually good.

7. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

Finish working on games until all the bugs are out would be nice
    There would be ppl out there that would pay subscriptions I'm sure but our gaming household wouldn't
    :?

8. OzRecon

OzRecon PUBG Captain

Bouncing over your head emptying a mag into you
    If SWTOR is anything to go by I don't think I will participate. While the game is good I don't believe it is good enough to pay $80-90 for and then ongoing subscriptions. Perhaps if the client were free ala Eve and then subscriptions to play I'd consider it.

A decent FPS MMO would be something else entirely.

9. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Not sure how epic the failure was - it's still receiving awards and there's plenty of full servers and comps running as we speak. Granted, I wish they had chosen a different method for hit detection, though.

10. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Wasn't there just a free weekend? Decided not to install it just incase I liked it. Agreed, asking $90 for the game then an ongoing subscription is too rich for me.

11. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

Don't mind buying the games,heck don't mind paying for map packs (DLC),but draw the line on monthly subscriptions.

12. Leevers

Leevers Guest

I believe regardless of what people say initially, I think many would pay the fee.

Many pay subscription for foxtel yet we all know it's not worth it. Many pay ridiculous fee's for a gym membership, but we still do it.

List goes on and on and at the end of the day, whilst you still find enjoyment in it, you'll find a way to justify spending the money.

I for one won't be paying a subscription for an FPS game, although MMO with regular content updates and so fourth is justifiable for me.

13. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Keeping in line with my current FPS of choice, BF3. If additional content was created monthly, then I would show more interest in a subscription based model. Based on the content (or lack there of) creation of MW3 for consoles and their elite sca.. system, it doesn't seem that likely. I bought MW3 for two reasons - it abandoned 'elite' for PC but more importantly, SJ suggested I buy it when I was inebriated.

I understand the need for providing the local infrastructure for MMO based gaming - that costs BIG money. FPS work best with local resources where user pays.. or farmed out to a third party where, again, user pays.

Snott likes this.