Enhanced gaming tools for ESO?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Sytes, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

With the game on the horizon, any device or enhancements you currently have, plan to pick up or would like to purchase that would advance your game effectiveness?

I initially purchased a Razer Tartarus though realizing it was simply a gimped keyboard w/ less capability than a generic keyboard, returned it and contemplated the purchase of the Razer Orbweaver.
    TARTARUS - Spent $60 though it is cheaper elsewhere $45+:

[​IMG]

ORBWEAVER - $110+ advertised:

[​IMG]

After deliberating, I felt my best pick to be the Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse - $65+:

[​IMG]

I really liked the Orbweaver. That 4th row of keys is the absolute necessity for my gaming desire. I went with the G602 mouse as it is more versatile and still affords me the generic full function keyboard to type messages, action keys, etc while also providing a quick thumb 6 comfortable buttons (nice #1-5 + OPEN quick touch) and two contoured touch keys integrated into the left mouse button as well as the other options available.

Also picked up a headset / microphone unit. It sounds great! A bit gimpy on the mic though it works great so just a feel thing. Also really appreciate the 16' cord! - $50+:
    [​IMG]

What do you have, plan to purchase or would like to purchase and what makes it a useful item? Hoping to be tempted into other item(s). :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    Ancient_One likes this.
  2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

You're taking your gaming seriously mate. Wow.

3. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

I hope theirs duelling, I need to practice my pvp skills

4. Kaladan

Kaladan Active Member

I have a G13 and have used it for several years now. I have not played an mmo without it since getting it and would hate to go back to the standard keyboard/mouse option. Having the ability to map most games hotbars to the layout of my G13 allows a lot more freedom and accuracy with movement and skill selection. Movement with just mouse steering and a thumb rocks.

[​IMG]

See below my UI layout matching the G13 design. I modify my UI to match the G13 whenever I can for ease of reference when using skills.

[​IMG]

I highly recommend the G13 or something equivalent.

:)

5. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Nice setup!
    So you use the thumb for movement and the mouse for steering - keeping all those keys as Hot keys? That is slick!

Can the screen be clear of all the mod interfacing yet still have the hot key modding work correctly? Or you have to have them visible on the screen in order to have full functional use?

I would not like the screen looking as such during game play though if it can be setup initially - then with memory hot key away, that... would be awesome!

6. Evangelian

Evangelian Getting Started

my gaming setup has been the same for a while - find a mouse that gives me everything i need. at moment i am using the razer naga hex. although minimal buttons i macro the numpad buttons 1-6 with shift + modifier giving at least 12 thumb based actions.

hex.jpg

Add in the G15 keyboard with a plethora of keybinds my movement and rapid action is not hindered.

g15.jpg

Finally i have spent large on the Astro gaming headset...is fantastic - even blocks out the partner's singstar sessions (oops i will be in trouble)

astro.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  7. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

Combat in Elder Scrolls Online

We can only have 6 skills on the hotbar, so the combat is more in line with Guildwars 2 then SWTOR. I had a similar setup to you guys whereby my UI was a combo of the 1-12 keys and shift+1-12.

Even If you allow hotkeys fo health, magicka and stamina potions then thats 9 keys.

I use the Razor Naga and it hasn't let me down yet.
    81ac2mOgmaL__SL1500_.jpg

Everything is on your mouse, the left hand controls jumping and moving.

I will say though the G13 looks cool.

I use the X-12 as well Sytes. Quite comfortable and the bass is awesome

8. Evangelian

Evangelian Getting Started

In addition to the tools - i have been running the same keybinds for an eternity. For tanking my muscle memory takes over and i know where my key abilities are - obviously not as big an issue with only 6 abilities but it all helps

9. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I bought a Sharkoon gaming mouse not too long ago. The Drakonia:

Drakonia | SHARKOON Technologies GmbH

I've been enjoying it. I mainly got it as a placeholder, because my Razer Naga crapped out after a couple years. I like Razer stuff, just didn't have the money to spend to replace it, so I got this at a much cheaper price. Wife's Naga is still going, and we got both the same day.

10. Kaladan

Kaladan Active Member

No, they do not have to be visible, for example, in most games 'spacebar' is for jumping and isn't displayed on the screen. So you can just map the thumbstick so that when you press it in you jump. So as long as you can map a key press to your abilities in game you can then just apply that key to any of the buttons on the G13.

I also have the button left of the thumbstick as my push to talk for TS.

As Blue_Talon pointed out, we wont have as many abilities in hotbars. But due to this you can then map other things to the keys like, opening your map or any other UI element, like crafting etc.

I have the G15 keyboard and the MX518 Logitech mouse. I've found with the G13 I don't need a mouse with heaps of buttons and normally use one of the side mouse buttons for jumping so I can keep my movement with my thumb fluid, steering and jumping in the direction I'm steering easily. It works for me but it really depends on what you like or get used to. Plenty of good setup ideas :)

If you have any questions fire away.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  11. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

I found I liked the Logitech G600 better than the Razer Naga the buttons have more of a definitive feel.

[​IMG]

12. Incognita

Incognita Just Joined

Hey I am not complaining... I like it when you drown out my singing (if you can call it singing... maybe I should practice more? :wink:).

I like it even better when you decide you need new 'enhanced gaming tools' which gives me an excuse to 1. Either buy it for you as a present or 2. encourage you to buy it for yourself as a present.

Win-Win for me either way as then I get your, still really good, hand me downs and you are really happy that you can kill things even faster.

:D

13. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

For gaming, and MMOs in particular, I use SteelSeries - Gaming Keyboards - SteelSeries Merc Stealth
    I don't think I could go back to an ordinary keyboard now.
    Overall, it would probably have been better with a gaming keyboard on the side, as this isn't the best for many other uses - the right hand side is a bit dodgy.

14. Wobin

Wobin Well-Known Member

I second the G13 recommendation, been using it for a couple of years now for all my games, and it's fantastic with the thumbstick for movement.

Setting it up for each game tends to be a somewhat evolutionary thing as you level up characters, and get more buttons to push, but the end result is something very easy to use.

Since every button can have a keystroke assigned to it, the G13 is basically a keypad that learns your playing style rather than you having to contort fingers to match existing keybinds, or having to deal with confusing in-game keybind menus.

Kaladan likes this.
  15. zyric

zyric Active Member

I also have a G13, but I haven't tried movement with the thumb yet. I might have to try it. Although what I do do is put Ctl, Alt, & Shift on the thumb buttons of my Naga Hex which greatly increases my available buttons on the G13. Instead of just having a mere 24, i now have somewhere around 96 available to my left hand without even switching between the 4 different key layouts built into the G13.

16. Xyth

Xyth Getting Started

I also use the G13 game pad, G15 keyboard and MX518 mouse combination. This is pretty much is overkill for ESO but it does work well. Like you, I move with the left thumb stick and look with the mouse. This lets me leave my left hand fingers on the indented keys (normally used for WASD movement) that I mapped to hot bar actions 1-4. That leaves 7 more keys directly reachable with my index finger, like hotbar 5, ultimate, quick slot etc.) so my left hand can stay motionless. I also map the two mouse thumb buttons to dodge and jump.

The keyboard is there for chatting and for non-game stuff like alt/tabbing out to windows. it took all of last beta weekend to burn in the new muscle memory after years of WASD movement, but I find that it is a much better way to go.

17. Brier

Brier Active Member

hmm i have a g110 keyboard, never realy used the extra keys yet. Last weekend i updated my computer a bit with a new graphics card and a gaming mouse. So now i have the G600 from logitech. I am still gettting used to the changes but i think i can work with these.

Have to find out how to get past 6 keys yet, i tried, but i have no idea how yet *grin*.

18. OzzieWorm

OzzieWorm Well-Known Member

I gotta save me pennies and invest in a G13... I keep meaning to. >.<

19. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

As per usual I'll be playing with an XBox controller. ATM it seems that's going to be via xpadder since surprisingly the PC version doesn't support a controller, at least not yet. I did some rough setup during the stress test and ended up with something playable but I'm sure to tweak it in the future.

20. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain