[DONE] Erudite Gamers

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Cmack, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Pick one or two things you believe bars older people from playing video games:

1. Computers are too difficult

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gaming Consoles are too expensive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The games are too hard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The perception of video games and young people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't know where to start

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Game controllers appear difficult to understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cmack

Cmack Just Joined

Hello from Georgia!

I am on the Sony PlayStation Network as SavorySauce and am looking to connect with like-minded erudite gamers! The last (4) games that I have played are The Fall, Tombraider DefEd, Day of The Tentacle, and What Remains of Edith Finch. I'm waiting for PS Plus January free game: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I recently finished Mass Effect Andromeda. It pales in comparison to the original ME 1, 2 and 3; but I'll take it because it's one of the few series that allow customization of a female character. I also loved Fallout. I prefer single-player role-playing, customizable, and story-based games.

The first machine I played on was rolling the dice with face-to-face gamers who loved adventure. We sat at the table and used the Dungeon Master's Guide (which is in a free PDF version I might add) with the lights down. If you've seen
    Season 1 of Stranger Things then you know the look. After that, I tried Pong on a Tandy computer. My father purchased an Atari 2600 and we enjoyed many hours of Pitfall Harry. Then he got an Atari 5200 to continue the fun with many titles such as PacMan, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, and other 8-bit creations. By then I was too focused on fun with friends outside of the computing world and didn't play again until I acquired a Commodore 64 and played Might and Magic I and II. Hours, days, probably years went by and before you know it, Gateway sold cow spotted cases of computing heaven.

After I acquired my nifty Gateway 286SX and a 300 baud modem I was connected to the world. About this time I was married and we decided to get a Sega Master System. Good fun was had and eventually, we upgraded to the Genesis. In 1990 I produced an heir to all of this video game goodness and was way too busy being Mom to deal with the likes of Dragons, Space Vehicles, and Riddles.

When said heir reached the age to control computer-based characters I was an AOL Chat moderator with a penchant for booting foul-mouthed members and playing games on The Imagination Network. It was there I found lots of friends and good times! From there the succession of console-based games started with the original PlayStation until now. When my son was around 15 I decided our consoles needed to be separated and I purchased him an Xbox. This way, I ensured that my gaming didn't interfere with his. Sounds like we played alot? We actually didn't buy a PS3 and 4 provide other means of entertainment so I used a home media station.

He is now 27, graduated from Georgia Tech (BS and MS) as an electrical engineer as luck would have it and he has an Xbox One but, oddly, only uses it for a media station and he plays multi-player games on his computer (which is advanced beyond my abilities...the computer..not the games). My professional life is focused on IT. Naturally. He married his college sweetheart and I'm hopeful that I can share my love of video gaming with their future progenies!

I joined this site because I want to interact with older gamers who want to share their love and passion for video games to prospective players. If you look (and I have) at the demographics of the US; there are lots of opportunities to get the message out to our aging generation that playing games can give you a sense of happiness, help with hand/eye coordination, find a community of other aging gamers, combat brain fog, and a host of other positive things! Many potential older gamers don't want to deal with frustrating computers or the perceived difficulty of gaming systems with foul-mouthed youths who have nothing better to do. This is where I come in. I am passionate about the ability of story-based and RPG games to help those on limited budgets have some adventure and see the same beauty and drama in games that I have. My professional blog starts now!

Looking forward to hearing from older gamers, what they find frustrating about games and how they find their love of gaming!

Cheers!

Connie

2. Fearless

Fearless Getting Started

Hi Connie, Welcome!

My very first gaming console was a ZX Spectrum 16k and first online experience was MUD using command prompt and a dial-up modem, and boy did we use to let our imagination run wild, with paper based maps for progress tracking and all.
    Then the internet hit our shores and ruined everything but also opened new opportunities of course and no one will deny that the three dimensional color worlds have come a long way since.
    I was never really a console gamer and preferred the PC instead because as an electronic engineering student I could of course upgrade and customize my hardware when I wanted as I wanted, then I got married and the kids came and all that free time I used to have vanished.
    It was at this point in time I decided to break with tradition and bought a WII which proved a lot of fun which in turn was upgraded to a WII U which brought the kids and family lots fun and enjoyment over the years, but of course I continue to use the PC for the occasional gaming time.
    I did consider for a moment upgrading to an X-Box and that only because the soon to be released Anthem MMO did appeal to me as I can see it has lots of potential but I am yet to be convinced.
    After investing lots of time into games like Tabula Rasa and AION which were lots of fun when released were ruined by corporate greed or free to play at least for those two anyway.
    I had a go at Shroud of the Avatar but not sure I have the time it takes to really get into it seriously as my time is very limited at the moment.
    The thing I love the most about gaming is exploring new worlds and making new friends which I guess is at the heart of our social fabric but all too often due to our busy schedules we don't really have the time to explore outside virtual worlds anymore.

Regards
    Mike

3. Cmack

Cmack Just Joined

Hi Mike! Nice to virtually meet you!

Yes, the tweaking and upgrading in the personal computing world over the years has been really good to me as well. What I love most about consoles today is that they are becoming pretty seamless and you don't have to worry about whether the game will work with your graphics card or are missing something that will need to be addressed later. Even downloadable content to consoles has dramatically improved over the last 3 years - case in point was the Mass Effect saga that I loved playing. Five years ago I would have downloaded the game and there would have been glitches every x amount of hours. I've not even seen that lately with any of my downloadable content; which is nice because there is nothing like losing progress.

Paper-based maps! So much fun doing that for sure and nothing like it.

Completely get the corporate greed - a sad thing truly. So much money to be made with micro-payments that it's ruining some of the experiences. This really comes down (IMHO) to player loyalty and sticking with a franchise that doesn't attempt to steal the lunch money.

Here's to exploring new worlds and making new friends!

4. BoneInspector

BoneInspector Brains Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Welcome to The Older Gamers community for those who are 25+ and have a passion for gaming. Your application has been reviewed and approved.

You may now access all aspects of the TOG Service including:

• TOG member community forums
    • TOG member communications servers
    • TOG member game Divisions

Drop by the Lounge to say hello, join a discussion or simply lurk. Feel free to ask any questions.

Visit the Voice Communications forum for instructions on joining our GameVox and Discord Servers.

Browse through the vast array of gaming Divisions to familiarise yourself with the games and cultures. Each can be very different. In each Division you should find instructions on joining other TOG members in game.

Join our STEAM Group or Facebook page. Spend some time to check out the forum functions such as user profiles and private messages at the top right corner of the forum. Maybe view site leaders under the Quick Links tab.

We hope you enjoy the TOG community. Please spread the message to your friends and family who are also interested in gaming.

All the best!

[​IMG]