Expansion Pass - buyer beware

Discussion in 'Destiny (Public)' started by rubicon, Oct 7, 2014.

1. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Just passing on some info for those who didn't buy the Destiny edition with the Expansion Pass built-in...

Now I've put in on record here that I was pretty disappointed with Destiny and despite enjoying the basic mechanics, I found the story to be woefully lacking and I quickly tired of grinding the same limited content to level up.

With that in mind, I decided that I'd cancel the Expansion Pass that I purchased through the PSN store when I realised that my cheap copy from JB didn't include it.

It turns out that Sony refuses to cancel and refund Expansion pass orders. They claim that they aren't a pre-order (which their own terms and conditions allow you to cancel before release without penalty) because they are delivered immediately. Even though the actual content won't be delivered for another 2 months.

To make matters worse, after I complained and ask for the matter to be escalated, they referred me to Activision and quoted me Acti's $2.48/min support number.

Suffice to say, for 40 bucks I would have originally worn it, but that shit just pissed me right off. Waiting to hear back from NSW Fair Trading. Might also refer the details to the ACCC - given their recent tussle with Valve over steam that might be interested in other online stores being dicks.

2. CaktuzJack

CaktuzJack Just Joined

Activision is a terrible company these days, IMO.

I am sure most of us here are old enough to remember the Atari 2600 when Activision published some of the best games out there e.g. Pitfall, Frogger, etc. Now, they are all about corporate greed to the Nth degree. They have terrible customer support and post-release support across all platforms.

Case in point: The PC version of Call of Duty Ghosts is a joke... and I mean that in a tragic way. People are being unfairly banned by Infinity Ward and there is no recourse. They contact Valve who refers them to Activision who then refers them back to Valve, etc. Circle jerk to the extreme. People buy the crappy (unoptimized) PC version of the game, play a few matches, get banned and then there is no appeal process since all bans are final. So, Activision is essentially scamming people out of $30 and it's a gamble if you will be banned, or not.

If Activision wasn't the main publisher for the Call of Duty series (that I like), I would boycott them in a NY minute, but I can't because I like the games and certain developers under their banner.

3. Canister

Canister Getting Started

Whoa, what a pain in the behind! It makes me so mad when you get the run around, underhand behaviour. I look forward to your result from fair trading.