Fallout 4 - Survival Mode (New and Improved)

Discussion in 'Fallout 4 (Public)' started by Ancient_One, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

Well I have to tell you I love it and hate it.

I have finally had the time between games to go back install Fallout 4 and all the new content to give the New and Improved Survival Mode a go. At the time of writing I have stopped. Currently at level 4 I'm coping a caning in game and the added pressure of having to sleep, eat, drink, cure diseases, not knowing where your enemies are has added a whole new level to this game.

Perception counts for nothing now other then lockpicking, as you can no longer detect enemies. As a stealthy build I found this to be a rather bad choice on their behalf as it flew against the survival instinct of most characters.

Endurance was another Primary Statistic which took a hit. Initially I thought Endurance would decrease the risk of diseases and give you some abilities to decrease damage. This was not to be. At level 4 I have had 4 diseases and I haven't even left the area in and around Sanctuary. Everything which attacks you can give you a disease of some sort. The constant pressure to try and avoid contact with enemies which seem to fly across the screen and be in your face in a matter of seconds is just crazy. I even hated this in the vanilla version. It's worse in Survival.

I think my main problem is I see that a Survivalist needs to have a good grasp of many things. Make own armor, make own weapons, hack, lockpick, settler, medic and damage dealer. An old saying comes to mind "Jack of all trades, master of none". This is very evident in Survival Mode. If you play this type of character it is very very slow going. It's better to ignore some Primary Statistics for others and it would appear damage dealing, fast take downs, is the key to Survival Mode.

It's shame as I feel they missed an opportunity here to push the Endurance stats enabling a person to truly survive in an apocalyptic world. Resistances should count for something.

At any rate I have set aside my desires to play Survival mode for the mean time. Have started a different character in Very Hard Mode. Funnily enough my lessons learnt in Survival Mode have washed of to a degree and I'm playing a character more designed towards the damage end of the spectrum.

What were others feelings towards the new Survival Mode?

2. Thymos

Thymos Elder Scrolls Online Officer

Sounds fun. I think I want to try that now. I like being able to just power through everything for the sake of finishing the story lines, but this looks like it might be more rewarding. However, in New Vegas, I really hated keeping an eye on several meters, like fatigue, thirst, hunger. Diseases seems like it can be a pain, hopefully there are ways to remove them, or at least cure them. Are they like diseases that have been cured? Like, if I get an inoculation, will I still get the disease again when I get hit again?

3. Ancient_One

You can only take antibiotics to cure a current disease. They are repeatable. Your given 4 at game start but use them up pretty quickly. You can make your own but it's a level 9 requirement in Inteligence and the Chemistry perk. At level 3 you could just build Medic stations at settlement locations and then buy antibiotics.

No inoculations but high level food items can give you resistances for 2 hrs but not sure if that is game time or play time. Game time moves quickly resulting in you having to eat, drink, sleep quite frequently.

You can get Fatigue, Dehydration, Hunger and Diseases all at once. Which makes it fun. Each one of those effects your main stats causing additional issues. The longer you go without addresssing the issues results in more effects to the point of death.

Did I mention saves are only performed when you sleep. Plenty of sleeping bags, dirty mattresses around to do this but they don't benefit your Fatigue. You need a proper bed for that. Hence settlements and hotels.

Carry weight is also effected in Survival mode. Strong Back perk and Lone Wanderer are a must if you ask me. Bye bye companions other then Dog Meat who is also weight restricted.

Truly it's a brilliant idea and should have been in at game release. I would have adopted it from the get go to make the game that much more enjoyable but you realy need to think through your build.

Some builds I have seen drop Endurance and Inteligence in favour of Strength, Charisma, Agility and Luck. Level quickly using Idiot Savant and only going to level 2 for Intelligence for Medic. So damage dealing build relying on settlements for your needs.

I follow the Fudgemuppet Builds. They have some fun builds and recently did a Survivalist Build based on the above. They basically stated you die incredibly fast and Endurance counts for nothing. They don't even run armor.

[video=youtube_share;VkbI8Sn3aKs]https://youtu.be/VkbI8Sn3aKs[/video]

4. Ancient_One

Also follow wastelanddovahkiin who has done a series of videos covering a lot of content. Good viewing for all would be survivalists. She has similar stats to my build and I found it to be hard going. Her partial reliance on Endurance to stave off diseases which seemed to be a waste.

[video=youtube_share;qoGPu3DpERw]https://youtu.be/qoGPu3DpERw[/video]

I hope people dust off their Fallout 4 game, start a new build in Survival Mode. Let me know what your thoughts are once you do

5. Ancient_One

What was my Survival Build you ask. With 21 to start with I went:

2 Strength + Bobblehead = 3 giving you access to Armorer.
    3 Perception + Bobblehead = 4 giving you access to Lockpicking.
    2 Endurance + Bobblehead = 3 giving you access to Life Giver.
    5 Charisma + Bobblehead = 6 giving you access to Local Leader.
    5 Intelligence + Bobblehead + special book = 7 giving you access to Chemist.
    2 Agility + Bobblehead = 3 giving you access to Sneak.
    2 Luck + Bobblehead = 3 giving you access to Bloody Mess.

It doesn't do enough damage which equals slow leveling and game progression early on in the game.

6. Randm Pixlz

Randm Pixlz Active Member

I found survival mode a good challenge at first. Finding food / clean water / meds and stuff made it all feel for fun. Adding weight to ammo had me prioritizing to carrying only ammo I had to match the weapons I was using. It also promoted pistol use over carrying 3-4 rifles which can really weigh you down.

However, after the initial struggle, things can get annoying, ie. Save on sleep. The game is not bug-proof. You may spent an hour or more, working your way through a quest with no access to somewhere to sleep/save, only to then get stuck on a terminal forcing you to load an old save. (Being a togger, I am assuming your a badass merc that never dies as well).

Later in the game, after you have gotten yourself setup pretty well, food and water just become a minor inconvenience as you should have settlements growing crops and water pumps to quell thirst.

Combat - VATS is your best friend, even if you don't use it for combat, it can be used to simply spot any potentially hostile enemy before they spot you. Also extremely useful to hit fast moving targets at close range.

Ammo weight (again): Since it now has weight, limiting how much you carry, spray-n-pray tactics are not as feasible as every bullet counts. Rockets and nukes pretty much become decoration or cash injections as they weigh far too much to try and lug around.

Health: I simply setup med stations in every other settlement, so if I did get infected, it was no real issue and sparing me having to use an antibiotic.

By the end, I found survival mode too easy, even with it's limitations. What I needed was another new difficulty setting - Very Hard Survival Mode.

7. Ancient_One

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I left it to early. What was your build?

One thing that annoyed me was the settlements as the missions to unlock that settlement location usually resulted in a trek across a hostile map to a location to kill enemies/save people then trek back again. By this time water/food/health/sleep were red line as it was usually in the opposite direction to any established settlement. That added additional stress to the game in the early stages while your leveling.

8. Thymos

Thymos Elder Scrolls Online Officer

So a melee survivalist is going to be really difficult. Challenge accepted. I'm going to have to rely heavily on sneaking, and insta-kills. I did find a build, but it relied heavily on power armor, so not so sneaky.

9. Ancient_One

but you might survive longer in Power Armor. I don't run Power Armor hence why I'm finding it hard. Death comes to me so very very easily. 2 bullets is all it takes in the lower levels.

10. Randm Pixlz

Randm Pixlz Active Member

I cannot recall what my starting stats were, but I know is aimed for sneaking and the endurance perk for no rads when drinking/eating. At around 20-ish (*shrug*) I went into luck to get the crits perks, allowing me to VATS crit on demand, which is very useful for legendary and high level enemies.

Kinda hard to remember where I started my stats, it was so long ago, considering my character is now level 162-ish and still going, when I get the mood to play it that is.

11. Starjack

Starjack Elite Dangerous: Vice Division Captain

I recently finished my survival playthrough when I reached 110 and completely cleared the Commonwealth (not the DLC's).

At the start I relied on gunslinger and stealth (Agility Lvl 4) and had a high charisma. My strength and endurance were low. Intelligence was put to 4 as soon as possible for gun nut. I worked up strength for amourer then perception and intelligence for lockpicking and hacking.

I built up my settlements near Sanctuary as soon as possible and then worked on scavenger to get scrap in and build things. I built water pumps at all settlements (there was a game update that allowed for powered pumps on dirt) and got as many empty bottles as I could and filled them with dirty water and then made vegetable soup. Vege soup (and noodle soup) can be used for thirst and hunger at the same time. I would never drink purified water, I only ever drank out of a water pump.

When I had Santuary, Red Rocket, Abernathy Farm, Starlight Drive-in and Sunshine Coop up and running I started the main mission and moved towards Hangman's Alley and Diamond City. Building these up took a long time and travel between them was constant.

To treat disease I bought antibiotics all the time. Whenever I was near Carla, Drumlin Diner and then Diamond City I would check their inventory and always buy if available. I would then always keep one on me and place one (or two if possible) at each work station.

For weapons I went to Vault 88 as soon as possible and bought the Gaurdian. As the main story continued I included the Deliverer and then Kremvh's Tooth. I carried 100 45 and 10mm ammo when I left a settlement for a mission. I only ever ran out of ammo once when I did the Mechanist final mission.

As the game progressed I joined the BoS as their transport system was much better than the other factions.

By the end the raids on settlements were constant every few days. Even though you can build your defence score up the chance of losing a fight without you present is still a 50-50 toss. This was my only complaint about the game. I looked for a mod but couldn't find one on the ingame mod selection.

Talking about mods I used vivid weather, and better vendors. Both of these are visual improvements and make the game look so much better.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  12. vesacre

vesacre Well-Known Member

As this is the first fallout I have ever played I am really enjoying it on the xbox one. I struggle a lot with this game but its good when a game pushes you to a degree. Just starting survival mode for the first time this weekend.