Finished Uni

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by manic35, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Ball-park? Low to mid $40K. Depending on on-call loadings.

As others have mentioned above, the money is markedly better in Sydney when compared to Brisbane. However, as Derelict also mentioned, the cost of living here in Sydney is also much higher. The prices of food, fuel, etc. isn't all that much different, it's the accomodation that kills you.

SWMBO (She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) and I live in a nice 2 bedroom apartment (internal laundry, lockup garage, large balcony, roughly 100m2 internal space) in Campsie - roughly 25 minutes by car (Sydney traffic) from the CBD. We are paying $250/week in rent. To buy a 20-30 year old 2 bedroom apartment in our suburb, you'd be looking at around the $280-$300K mark for a decent one - in a suburb the same distance away from the CBD in Brisbane that's 4-bedroom house and land money. You do the math. :shock: We're looking to buy some time this year - so it's lucky that SWMBO makes much better money that I do!

I'm ready to move on to another job now - so am looking for level 2 support positions in the NSW public service. The ones that I'm qualified for, and have applied for, are going for around $60K package including super. Which isn't too bad at all.

[I had this typed up and then work shut down the proxy on me, so I lost it. This is Reply 2.0.]

2. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

I did it at UQ, I went to QUT for my other quals years ago and loved it. Just wanted a change and my Dad went to UQ so I wanted to go. What does that tell you about me, lol

Yeah, I think I'll get a surveying position and keep looking from there, should be able to get one with out much trouble, surveyors are a dying breed :roll:

3. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

Man, you are being way toooooo hard on yourself, I would give my left nad for $68k, (actually I have already given the left away for something else, so it would have to be the right this time).

Thanx for the advice and good luck to you as well. :)

4. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Manic, see if you can find an IT job in a surveying company. They're out there and you're a shoe-in for it as you have skills in both industries!

5. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

lol, I call mine The Minister for War and Finance :lol: I think see likes it!

Good effort, thanks for the info. I think I will be staying here - I love SE QLD's weather and you could do a lot worse than Brisbane. Property sound bloody expensive down South, all you have to do is watch one of those auction shows 8O 8O 8O

6. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

I'm trying to achieve that but the bastards just want to exploit your survey skills and my ten years experience. I can see that they are just noding there heads to the IT thing because they can't get decent surveyors. But yep, I think you have hit the nail on the head! :D

7. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Umm, on that surveying note ... how much would it cost to have someone survey ... err ... 111 acres of land. :? :D

8. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

lol, seriuosly? :?

9. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Uh-huh. The land was recently surveyed so don't think I'll really need it done again unless we decide to fence the front bits. Unfortunately, I can't find the markers from the time it was previously done. :(

It's really just an out-of-interest type question. :)

10. Firthy

Firthy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, unfortunately, you are in BrisVegas... If you were in Melb H & L australia are after an IT trainer/Support person.. I used to work for their opposition, till they busted.. Look around for POS ( no not piece of **** - its point of sale) positions on seek.com.au , entry level, but its a foot in the door, a wage while ya look around...

SS

11. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

Unfortunately it depends on quite a few factors, like how old is the block, when was the last time the block was surveyed, how big is the block, how many bends and therefore how many pegs does it have, how busy the industry is, etc. etc. But if its rural, surveyed in the last 5 years and you can find 1 or 2 pegs, (even if at the back or along the side boundaries) then it should cost no more than $400 - $500 but you may get quoted as high as $1,000 8O .

Sounds like a lot huh? I always recommend to people that they get hold of a clear copy of their registered survey plan, (the one with bearings, distances and areas on it) and a tape measure, a 30m cloth one if you have access. Spend a few hours with the wife or the son and see what you can find. If you think about it it’s like finding $500 in the back yard if you can find the pegs yourself, (that has got to be worth a few hours work). :D But you must have at least one peg (preferably 2) to start with. If another block up the road has some pegs, use them for alignment to eye in the line of where the pegs should be, etc.

Good Luck!!!! :wink: :D

12. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Thanks mate. :)

There are a couple of pegs between us and the neighbours (so they tell me) so I'm sure I could use those. I also have a plan with all the bearings etc so maybe I should try and put that to use.

The only real reason I would think about surveying is for the access to our property. The access is rather narrow 'cause the previous owner subdivided two portions off the front. We are looking to seal the current driveway but we may need to shift it slight to one side and the last thing I want to do is encroach on the neighbour's land. :?

Anyhoo, thanks again for the info. :)