First addicting game.

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by AvatarICEMAN, Jul 22, 2010.

1. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

My first games on the amiga. Pool of Radiance, Wings, Dungeon Master, Powermonger, sim city, civlization. For two player battles it was IK+.

2. AvatarICEMAN

Wings was awesome, god I miss that game.

3. T0by1

T0by1 Well-Known Member

First addictive games I remember were on the NES.

Kid Icarus
    Metroid

4. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Wavy Navy on the Apple IIe.

5. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I played a lot of addicting games before I played this one but I think Warloards II deserves a special mention. I'd loose entire weeks modding Warloards II to create my own creatures/campaigns.

I remember trying to make a version of it that resembled Warhammer 40K.

The doom WAD editor was also a black hole of my youth.

EDIT: Fixed Youtube Embed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Captain

Hi Drac. Seems the video isn't coming up.

I reckon my first addictive game was Fort Apocalypse on the Commodore 64.

There is another one that I remember, but for the life of me can't remember the name of...
    It's a fairy adventure (Oi! knock off the sniggering!) with a left-right-up-down scroll, where you would travel through a maze in a garden, collective horse shoes. It had a beautiful midi (?) rendition of the Peer Gynt Suite by Eduard Grieg. If anyone knows it, please let tell me :).

7. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

+1 It came from the Desert ... the hospital was hard for me!

Army Moves was great too!

Tenchu (pretty sure it was just original) on PS1 I played that so much that I could basically run all the levels with out stopping stealth kill after stealth kill, worked out all the so called "random" patrol way points ... that game was fun!

Diablo was defiantly up there too connecting to my mate down the road on the old ... god 28k modem maybe? Not sure might have been 56k don't think it was the 14.4 ...

8. KaptK

KaptK Getting Started

This is one i remember being my first too. Play with 2 other pals around only do each about 4-5 turns and 2-3 hours had passed. Well it seemed like that ;)

Also i remember Ufo Enemy Unknown taking up loads of my time too. Probably the first game where i had a.m. sessions.

9. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

I think it was probably phantasy star on the megadrive, i spent alot of hours playing through that game and in the days before the internet for me i mapped out all the dungeons myself. That took hours and hours :)

10. Ripp Savage

Ripp Savage Active Member

The first game I remember being addicted to was Auto Duel on the Commodore 64. That was the game that got me hooked on gaming and computers. I was so hooked on that game that when it ended up dying on me (5 1/4 floppy) I sent it back to the company along with a letter asking for a new disk, and they sent one! :eek:

Imagine that happening these days lol. :rolleyes:

11. HanmaT

HanmaT Well-Known Member

How hard was Fort Apocolypse ! , I had it on tape wow the load times in those days lol

12. HanmaT

HanmaT Well-Known Member

Yep Exploding fist was C64 absolutely awesome for its time . IK was similar the Amiga made a very nice version of IK . The sound effects were a CLASSIC !

13. DeWe

DeWe Getting Started

FF3 and Super Metroids for Super NES were the first games I ever bought and were the start of my gaming addiction.
    It's kind of sad that very few game in the last 20 years have been as enjoyable. Out of hundreds of games I've bought, there is only a small list of favorites.

Duke Nukem, Parasite Eve, Breath of fire 2, 1 of the Zelda games but can't remember which, Silent Hill 1 and 2, Halo, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Resident Evil. and a few more that I can't remember the names of.
    I no longer own a Nintendo, Playstation or Xbox because the game that were being made, were more of a pain in the ass than enjoyable.

14. MtnGoat

MtnGoat Just Joined

I had to hit up Wikipedia to find the dates on things, I think Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? was the first game that made days disappear for me and a mate, graphics where omg-wowtastic, like, the Parthenon actually looked like the Parthenon.

15. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader Staff Member Moderator

I remember playing The Bards Tale endlessly and then again got heavily into the 3rd one too. Pirates on the 64 was an awesome game. What a way to learn geography! :)

16. WickedWookiee

WickedWookiee Getting Started

For me it was C64 games too like Maniac Mansion and I was addicted the olympic games they had like Summer Games, Winter Games, etc. I remember starting a game, walking out of the room to have a sandwich or something and coming back just in time for the game to have loaded.

17. sirmoe

sirmoe Just Joined

18. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

One of my first was Bruce lee on the c64. So here is a link so you can all download and play
    looking at it now it wasn't much but as an 8 year old i loved it, sad really
    I then moved on to games like rails west and oil barons where 3 of us would play and attempt to be juvenile meglamaniacs and take over the world LOL

Thining back one of the most addictive at the time as well was impossible mission

......stay a while, stay forever!!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  19. UmbraSprite

UmbraSprite Getting Started

Can't believe no one mentioned M.U.L.E. ... game did so much with so little.

For sheer time consumption it had to be Ultima IV and then Ultima Online. I played that sucker from beta till around 2001 or so. Cost me a girlfriend! (was the right choice!) :cool:

20. AvatarICEMAN

Ultima VII was it for me as well and then VIII, IX and then Ultima Online definitely.