First addicting game.

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by AvatarICEMAN, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Drassan

Drassan Well-Known Member

First addictive game for me was Reach for the Stars by SSG - I think it was on the Apple II. After that (by a few years) was Civilisation.

2. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

Sid Meier's Pirates Reimagined on the Nintendo Wii

You forgot the first ever CinemaWare Game Defender of the Crown. I first saw the game and an Amiga 1000 (Orignal model) on display at the Myer Electric Expo in the ground floor of their city store.

Reminded me of those laser tag rooms. It was such a beautiful looking strategy game.

Never really caught on with It came from the Desert,

But I did enjoy playing Sinbad as well as Rocket Ranger.

And like you I played Wings over and over again starting as a fresh faced 2nd Louie and working myself up to be the leading ace to survive the great war in the air.

They don't make games like these anymore.

The remake of the Defender of the Crown was a bit fancier but not really much better than the original gameplay with its sideways scrolling sword fight and the first person jousting as well as the 3D map of saxon and norman lands.

One game that really made a nice revamp was Sid Meier's Pirates with the PC reimaging version of 2003 being ported to the Nintendo Wii last year really captures the spirit and fun of those classics.

So though I love all the cinema ware games dearly, Sid Meier's Pirates on the Wii is the only game in 20 years that I have played a non-stop 24 hour session.

So that shows you how good the game is for me!

3. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

Problem was it was an Atari and C64 only games for a very long time. As an apple and later amiga owner, I never had the opportunity to do more than play it once in a while on my friends Atari.

4. AvatarICEMAN

Ahh yes loved Defender of the crown, but robin hood did sfa to help. Loved Pirates and tried the remake for a bit but just couldn't get back into it as much, I found a amiga emulator which I bought and some great abandonware games.

5. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Also lost some time to Populous ... however that was well outranked by my love for The Settlers I can still remember the geo animation when he finds minerals ... LOL

6. *Sunny*

*Sunny* Active Member

Hi my name is Sunny & I am addicted to games :D

Well this one is just way too hard to answer 'first one' & leave it at that, so I'll do a sort by type. (I have always had a gaming addiction problem :p)

Handheld - Game & Watch, Donkey Kong II - How many times could you clock it?

Atari - Tie between River Raid, Pitfall & Asteriods.

Commodore 64/128 - Another tie between Elite, Summer/Winter Olympics, Impossible Mission & Spy vs Spy. (And I'm sure there were MANY more here to list.)

PC - Wolfenstein, DX Ball, Pacman, The Elder Scrolls - Oblivion, AION.

In between my PC & Xbox days I discovered the trusty Pinball machine & became addicted to those too. I actually contemplated buying one, but couldn't decide which was my favorite one, lucky for my bank balance! Actually probably couldn't have afforded it anyway considering I liked the newer more fancy ones with lots of ramps, electronic display.

Xbox - Halo, Morrowind, Hitman (all of them), Spy vs Spy.

So right now, looking back I'd have to say my most addicted game EVER is AION by far. This is 100% due to the people I've met playing it, especially the wonderful Toggers whom have become great friends. In the past I've only ever played against people sitting in the same room as myself, so to open my eyes to the whole MMO scene was just amazing to me!

Anyway, that was my trip down memory lane, thanks for coming with me.

Happy gaming!

Sunny :D

7. shabadoo

shabadoo Just Joined

I have to agree about Wings. I played that game for months over and over. I loved it. Anyone know any similar WW1 flying games?

8. Shadowstarz

Shadowstarz Active Member

My first ever "addictive" game was Zork. After that I just kind of played things here and there - whenever I had the money for arcades.... Then when Bards Tale came out - oooh man! I was really addicted to that one.

(PS: I use the word "addictive" loosely - indulgence is a more proper term :D - sorry just a pet peeve of mine).

9. Gilderan

Gilderan Well-Known Member

Is that the one with the flowery type of aliens?

10. Gilderan

Raises hand as says "Yes..I addicted to them as well."

11. Gilderan

Dungeon Master - not my first but something I really loved.

12. Juganort

Juganort Retired Captain

So many games to mention I very much doubt I could remember them all, from my original NES, SNES, N64, PS, PSII and then the PC there were so many.

But as for the very first addictive game it had to be the original Super Mario Bros on the NES when I was 8 or 9 years old. I still brag to people to this day (even if they dont care) that I once clocked Super Mario Bros in one sitting when I was 9 without losing a single life... ahhh the memories.

13. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Active Member

Scott Adam's adventure series on the TRS-80 was probably the 1st, although Doom1 and Duke Nukem 3D I each played continuously for well over a year.

14. Rodimus

Rodimus Getting Started

Mine were LoZ: ALttP for the simple reason of pure fun and I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. The other was, as was mentioned before, Final Fantasy III (VI, stupid renumbering). I remember thinking how epic that game was, and still is. Character development, and engaging story, and scope. That game was a god among games back then.

15. Khaosfyre

Khaosfyre Getting Started

Tetris on the original b/w Gameboy. Sadly the handheld no longer works but I remember playing that all night for several weeks when I got the GB.

16. Nejad

Nejad Active Member

The first video game I really started getting addicted to was Hogan's Alley.

The second one would have to have been Hang-On (the stand-up version, NOT the sit-down version) I'm still pissed at 7-11 for replacing it before I completed all the courses.

17. Lasraik

Lasraik Getting Started

First really addictive game for me was Syndicate. But Privateer is a close second.

18. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

Stellar Empires on the TRS-80 back in 1983.
    Battle of Britain on the PC in around 1993.

19. shufunk

shufunk Just Joined

When I went to super saturday at putt putt I would always play Galaga 88 before the end of the day and feel I was the only one that would play that game all day. I loved the idea of merging into 3 ships and tried to see how far I can go. The farthest I ever been was level 15 and that was without warping. Even playing it on an emulator that is about as far as I can go on one coin! I am hoping to one day go to Twin Galaxies and attempt a high score. Doubt I would get top score but it's the experience I want.

Another game I loved was Rampage and I could really play that all day. In fact when I found it for MAME i loved the idea of unlimited coins. Even if I went to putt putt and got 20 tokens I still didn't last long. Lets just say I kept on playing until I reached level 99. God knows how many continues I had but I do know I was playing for almost 6 hours straight! I just wish I can learn to stay alive longer to attempt a high score at Twin Galaxies.

20. Battle Pope

Battle Pope Well-Known Member

Elite on my Amiga 500. I don't know how many hours I spent flying that ship around. I don't think I made it past a rating of "Mostly Harmless" but damn if it wasn't fun trying.

I still remember the feeling of aprehension making a hyperspace jump - would I make it or would the drive malfunction and dump me into uncharted space to get swarmed by Thargoids? :)