First addicting game.

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by AvatarICEMAN, Jul 22, 2010.

1. QuestorNZ

QuestorNZ Getting Started

On the original BBC version you could 'force' a witch-space jump by pressing ctrl-x when the countdown was happening :)

OK most of the time it left you miles from anywhere with no fuel left to jump, as well as the thargoids, but that's not the point!

2. Rossignol

Rossignol Just Joined

I remember loving to play Jumpman on the C64. By playing Wings on the Amiga 500 was one of my favorites. It had a great story.

3. Methane Cuddles

Methane Cuddles Getting Started

I don't know/think it was the first but the game I always seem to go back to is Romance of the Three Kingdoms III by KOEI on SNES. Been playing it on my iPad with a Wiimote lately.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. Weevah

Weevah Just Joined

That's totally where my teenage years dissappeared!

Phantasy Star II and III on the megadrive ate my pre teen years as well...

5. JMan

JMan Guest

Huge chunks of time spent on Pirate Cove on the Commodore Vic20 along with programming in Basic.
    Elvira 1 & 2 on the Amiga 500... Needless to say never finished the Elvira series.
    Alternate reality(The City) on the Atari 800... Best game ever!

6. Rahze

Rahze Well-Known Member

Omg me too!

But maybe even before this one, or around the same time, it's so long ago it's when games were on floppy disks, yes the bigger ones, not the 3.5" ones. I loved this text ascii art game called Sleuth and played it constantly!

I've pretty much been gaming my entire life. Had the Atari, PC games, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Playstation, PS2 and now PS3, Xbox 360/Kinect, Wii & still love PC games!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. Snowbull

Snowbull Retired Moderator

Hrm.. Not so sure now..

Steve adams adventures on the mini were good.

8. Odd Jam

Odd Jam Just Joined

My first (and to date only) game addiction was Strategic Conquest 2.0 and I do mean addicted. The first tiime I discovered it in the computer lab I played it for 11 hours straight without realizing it.

It's the only game I continued to keep thinking about when I wasn't playing it. Unfortunately, it's only playable in Apple Classic so new Macintosh's aren't capable of playing it or even fitted to play it - you'd have to wipe and install something earlier than OSX.

But sooner or later I'm gonna do just that. :bigevil:

[​IMG]

9. Jolly Rotten

Jolly Rotten Just Joined

Asteroids or River Raid.I spent alot of time (Years)On both.Went through two Atari 2600s.

10. Nox

Nox Just Joined

The first TRULY addicting one would be Disciples II. The mood in that game was a horrible thing that garbed one by the throat and didn't let go...in a good way.
    Plus, the art direction was fantastic and the narrator was a bloody genius. He didn't do the usual deep mystical voice but rather the most depressing yet beautiful voice that my ears have had the pleasure of experiencing.

It's also a game I still often play, unfortunately it did not age all that well so the sound cracks a lot due to hardware power but it's a minor thing.

11. justinbran1

justinbran1 Just Joined

To me first game for addiction level was Need For Speed. i played it for couple of years. Played different versions of it. This is the game that make me a complete gaming Freak.

12. Ratche

Ratche Active Member

My first addicting game would have to be the original Knights of the Old Republic. I will still play it when I get the chance.

13. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

On PC, Defender of the Crown was one of my first major time sinks. Played it over and over. SDI as well. :)

On Apple ][, too many to count.. I really wouldn't know where to begin.. Actually - probably Mr Robot! I spent so long playing that game and making maps. I'd make themed maps and challenges.. I had so many disks labelled "Mr Robot Maps #17". Well.. I had one labelled 17.. I'm certain the others were labelled appropriately. ><

Other games I poured dozens if not hundreds of hours into..
    Chivalry
    Lode Runner
    Montezumas Revenge
    all the Scott Adams Adventures
    Sneakers
    Dung Beetles
    Conan...

I could go on forever.

EDIT: Actually, I remember now, the first PC game I played for a long time was Snipes! Oh how I loved that. Alas, I haven't been able to find the version I had for quite some years (an 80x25, non-hacked version). All there is floating around the web is cracked 80x25 versions which play differntly, or a 40x25 version. How I miss my Snipes..

14. AvatarICEMAN

I loved Defender of the Crown, played it am Amiga, although I can't remember Robin Hood ever jumping in to help.

Many hours to that game, oh so much fun and I sucked at using the lance.

15. Vaiai

Vaiai Active Member

Elite on the Atari ST or XWing vs Tie Fighter on PC a bit later for me although I played on my ZX Spectrum a lot in the years before that.

16. Oakley Cool

Oakley Cool Just Joined

I used to play a lot of games but the first one I was really addicted was Uncharted 2. That game kept me happy for hours and hours. There were days where I've played 8 hrs straight. And to be honest it is still pretty addicting.

17. Satans Thong

Satans Thong Just Joined

The very first game I was hooked on was probably Asteroids on the old Atari. I would waste many summer holiday days sitting inside playing that. It all helped toward my pasty white complexion!

18. lat00uk

lat00uk Active Member

I cant say I ever got that addicted to any games as after a while I get bored, but I know I played 'Head Over Heels' on the Spectrum a crap load growing up, seriously good game, I still play it from time to time just to relive it. Never really found a puzzle game that captured my heart so much as that did back in the day...

Although I will always use a spectrum emulator and the original ROM to play it instead of a PC based remake... as its just not the same.

19. Methane Cuddles

Methane Cuddles Getting Started

Starting with my Atari 800 in 1983 it was Blue Max and Racing Destruction Set. So many hours flying that plane, bombing runs etc and building race tracks with RDS.

Then on the Apple IIs at elementary school it was a lot of hours spent with Carmen Sandiego and Karateka.

There have been many addictions since then but those were definitely my firsts.

20. Khudri

Khudri Just Joined

-Final Fantasy 6 ( at the time it was Final Fantasy 3) on the SNES. I rented a lot of games for the SNES as a kid, but once I discovered how an RPG was supposed to be played and got into the story, I kept that game rented for about 2 weeks over a summer. I pretty much sacrificed those 2 weeks to that game.

-Breath of Fire 3. My little brother and I played that game in 3 hour shifts, only giving the system an hour to cool down between play times.